BB recommendations?

Alpamsfq

Guest
since i've always had problems with my bottom bracket... especially the bearings getting
loose/trashed and the left crank arm always coming loose... i thought i should look at my options
for replacing everything between the pedals

any recommendations? especially since i'm not exactly light weight (250-ish lbs.)

are there size differences between manufacturers or is it one-size-fits-all?

i mostly just ride through town but also some rough, fast trails... no jumps though

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

Yeah how come its always the left crank? Had that problem with three bikes at our place. Y is that??
only use shimano cartridge BBs now Last for ages

alpamsfq wrote:
> since i've always had problems with my bottom bracket... especially the bearings getting
> loose/trashed and the left crank arm always coming loose... i thought i should look at my options
> for replacing everything between the pedals
>
> any recommendations? especially since i'm not exactly light weight (250-ish lbs.)
>
> are there size differences between manufacturers or is it one-size-fits-all?
>
> i mostly just ride through town but also some rough, fast trails... no jumps though

What are you riding now?

I like ISIS -- I'm riding RaceFace Next LP on Truvativ Sealex SL. The Truvativ Sealex are not as
good as I'd like -- the first only lasted me about 4k miles and the 2nd was tight (as if the
bearings were binding a little or slightly cocked) for the 1st 1k or so miles. But, they're the only
ones that make a 118 which I need to get enough clearance between my cranks and my swingarm pivot.

David

another question for this thread... how much should it cost for my lbs to replace the bb

sure i could just call them... but i don't know them yet (new town) and want a comparison for when i
do go there

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote...
> What are you riding now?
>
> I like ISIS -- I'm riding RaceFace Next LP on Truvativ Sealex SL. The Truvativ Sealex are not
> as good as I'd like -- the first only lasted me about 4k miles and the 2nd was tight (as if the
> bearings were binding a little or slightly cocked) for the 1st 1k or so miles. But, they're the
> only ones that make a 118 which I need to get enough clearance between my cranks and my
> swingarm pivot.
>
> David

right now it has whatever's stock for the bike... 97/98 nishiki colorado... but the left crankarm
has been replaced a couple times

taking a closer look at it... there's 3 threads exposed on the left side... right side looks ok...
but there's no wobble in it at all

plus the crankarms don't seem like they're at 180 degrees... maybe 5 degrees off... is that normal?

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

Neil Duckworth <[email protected]> wrote...
> Yeah how come its always the left crank? Had that problem with three bikes at our place. Y is
> that?? only use shimano cartridge BBs now Last for ages

isn't it supposed to be true that if you're right-handed you're left leg will be stronger... maybe
that's why

speaking of shimano... on mtbr.com the deore bb's are rated higher than the xtr... shouldn't it be
the other way around?

any specific shimano bb you'd recommend?

preferably one with the square connection to the crankarms... it would be nice to avoid tripling the
cost with the most basic part of a bike

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

I've busted more BB's than I care to count. I swaer that the last BB I will ever buy is the Race
Face North Shore XS (ISIS) now know as the Signature XS
http://www.raceface.com/components/components.php?id=6

It is one tough mother-fscker of a Bottom Bracket. I've TRIED to break mine... I can't do it. (250
Lbs, farly agressive and sloppy rider)

alpamsfq wrote:
> another question for this thread... how much should it cost for my lbs to replace the bb

It should come free with the purchase, at least it does at my LBS.

"alpamsfq" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
| Neil Duckworth <[email protected]> wrote...
| > Yeah how come its always the left crank? Had that problem with three bikes at our place. Y is
| > that?? only use shimano cartridge BBs now Last for ages
| >

| isn't it supposed to be true that if you're right-handed you're left leg will be stronger... maybe
| that's why
|
| speaking of shimano... on mtbr.com the deore bb's are rated higher than
the
| xtr... shouldn't it be the other way around?
|
| any specific shimano bb you'd recommend?
|
| preferably one with the square connection to the crankarms... it would be nice to avoid tripling
| the cost with the most basic part of a bike
|
| --
| chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

Most basic part???????

no way the dust cap surely has that spot.......or in some cases the rider!

Simon.......I use profile cranks with a Ti axle and BMX bottom bracket. But then I am like that.

| I've busted more BB's than I care to count. I swaer that the last BB I will ever buy is the Race
| Face North Shore XS (ISIS) now know as the Signature XS
| http://www.raceface.com/components/components.php?id=6
|
| It is one tough mother-fscker of a Bottom Bracket. I've TRIED to break mine... I can't do it. (250
| Lbs, farly agressive and sloppy rider)

That's a pretty good reco, coming from the breaker of all things bikes!

I wonder if my old AT-4 Pro still lives.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 3/13/2003

Nelson Binch wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | I've busted more BB's than I care to count. I swaer that the last BB I will ever buy is the Race
> | Face North Shore XS (ISIS) now know as the Signature XS
> | http://www.raceface.com/components/components.php?id=6
> |
> | It is one tough mother-fscker of a Bottom Bracket. I've TRIED to break mine... I can't do it.
> | (250 Lbs, farly agressive and sloppy rider)
>
> That's a pretty good reco, coming from the breaker of all things bikes!

Hey! I haven't broken anything bike related in well over a year.

Well, except for the pawls that disintergrated inside my DT-Swss Onyx hub... good thing I was at the
TOP of Podunk Road, I was able to cost almost the whole way back to the parking-lot. ;-)

> I wonder if my old AT-4 Pro still lives.

It is alive and well, hanging on the wall, along w/ Mark's. (Yes, I'm hoarding them ;-)

"alpamsfq" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
> Neil Duckworth <[email protected]> wrote...
> > Yeah how come its always the left crank? Had that problem with three bikes at our place. Y is
> > that?? only use shimano cartridge BBs now Last for ages
> >

> isn't it supposed to be true that if you're right-handed you're left leg will be stronger... maybe
> that's why
>
> speaking of shimano... on mtbr.com the deore bb's are rated higher than
the
> xtr... shouldn't it be the other way around?
>
> any specific shimano bb you'd recommend?

If you want to stick with sqaure taper, I've had good use from the XT (UN72) BB. It's good
cost/durability ratio for me, and I'm a large chap myself.

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote...

> If you want to stick with sqaure taper, I've had good use from the XT
(UN72)
> BB. It's good cost/durability ratio for me, and I'm a large chap myself.
>
> Andy Chequer

so what's with all the bad reviews on mtbr?

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bottom_Bracket/product_20373.shtml

a lot of them say the xt suddenly breaks

or is this just from people who do 20 foot drops?

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

"alpamsfq" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote...
> >
> > If you want to stick with sqaure taper, I've had good use from the XT
> (UN72)
> > BB. It's good cost/durability ratio for me, and I'm a large chap myself.
> >
> > Andy Chequer
> >

> so what's with all the bad reviews on mtbr?
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bottom_Bracket/product_20373.shtml

> a lot of them say the xt suddenly breaks

They've got their two cents, I've got mine.

> or is this just from people who do 20 foot drops?

Looks like it. It was never designed with such riding in mind. As you originally posted, you aren't
into that kind of thing, and as I said, it's solid for the price if you stay near the ground.
Besides, some people on mtbr can break anything (or certainly brag they can).

Andy Chequer

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "alpamsfq" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| > Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote...
| > >
| > > If you want to stick with sqaure taper, I've had good use from the XT
| > (UN72)
| > > BB. It's good cost/durability ratio for me, and I'm a large chap
myself.

| > > Andy Chequer
| > >

| > so what's with all the bad reviews on mtbr?
| >
| > http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bottom_Bracket/product_20373.shtml
|
| > a lot of them say the xt suddenly breaks
|
| They've got their two cents, I've got mine.
|
| > or is this just from people who do 20 foot drops?
|
| Looks like it. It was never designed with such riding in mind. As you originally posted, you
| aren't into that kind of thing, and as I said, it's solid for the price if you stay near the
| ground. Besides, some people on mtbr can break anything (or certainly brag they can).
|
| Andy Chequer

I concur with Andy on this. I use the UN72 almost exclusively, and I'm even heavier than
ClydesdaleMTB (albeit somewhat shorter) and I've NEVER (knock on wood) broken one. I've worn out a
couple of older ones, but that was in due course.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 3/13/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | "alpamsfq" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | > Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com>
wrote...

XT
> | > (UN72)
> myself.

> | > so what's with all the bad reviews on mtbr?
> | >
> | > http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bottom_Bracket/product_20373.shtml
> |
> | > a lot of them say the xt suddenly breaks
> |
> | They've got their two cents, I've got mine.
> |
> | > or is this just from people who do 20 foot drops?
> |
> | Looks like it. It was never designed with such riding in mind. As you originally posted, you
> | aren't into that kind of thing, and as I said,
it's
> | solid for the price if you stay near the ground. Besides, some people
on
> | mtbr can break anything (or certainly brag they can).
> |
> | Andy Chequer
> |

> I concur with Andy on this. I use the UN72 almost exclusively, and I'm
even
> heavier than ClydesdaleMTB (albeit somewhat shorter) and I've NEVER (knock on wood) broken one.
> I've worn out a couple of older ones, but that was
in
> due course.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 3/13/2003

Shimano BB's are the way to go

> I concur with Andy on this. I use the UN72 almost exclusively, and I'm
even
> heavier than ClydesdaleMTB (albeit somewhat shorter) and I've NEVER (knock on wood) broken one.
> I've worn out a couple of older ones, but that was
in
> due course.

Indeedly. I've broken a couple of UN52 ones (in one instance on a huge roundabout in the middle of
Birmingham, UK - I was nearly killed) but the UN72 has a forged steel axle rather than the cast pig
iron ones of the lesser offerings. For a small amount of extra oney, the UN72 is so much more BB.

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote ...
> Indeedly. I've broken a couple of UN52 ones (in one instance on a huge roundabout in the middle of
> Birmingham, UK - I was nearly killed) but the UN72 has a forged steel axle rather than the cast
> pig iron ones of the lesser offerings. For a small amount of extra oney, the UN72 is so much
more
> BB.

well sounds good... now i just have to see if i can get one

is the un52 and un72 clearly marked somewhere... especially packaging?

how much $ anyway?

and thanks for all your help (and to everyone else in this thread as well)

--
chris ·´¯`·.¸¸. alpam:sfq ·´¯`·.¸¸.

alpamsfq wrote:

> well sounds good... now i just have to see if i can get one
>
> is the un52 and un72 clearly marked somewhere... especially packaging?

You'll be able to tell which one's which because the box of the UN52 will have 'UN52' written on it
and the box of the UN72 will have 'UN72' written on it. If in doubt, speak to one of the staff -
they're specially trained for these sorts of situations.

"alpamsfq" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote ...
> > Indeedly. I've broken a couple of UN52 ones (in one instance on a huge roundabout in the middle
> > of Birmingham, UK - I was nearly killed) but
the
> > UN72 has a forged steel axle rather than the cast pig iron ones of the lesser offerings. For a
> > small amount of extra oney, the UN72 is so much
> more
> > BB.
> >

> well sounds good... now i just have to see if i can get one
>
> is the un52 and un72 clearly marked somewhere... especially packaging?
>
> how much $ anyway?
>
> and thanks for all your help (and to everyone else in this thread as well)

The UN52 (LX) and UN72 (XT) are about as ubiquitous as bicycle parts get, and are available in a
plethora of sizes. Any decent bike shop should have either in stock - ask for them by name and
they'll know what you mean. They are generally around 15 UK Pounds for the UN52, and 20-25 UK Pounds
for the UN72. Like I said, it's rude not to have the 72.

Make be sure to give them the correct shell width and axle length to suit your frame and crankset.
Another approach would be to go in to the shop, point at bike, say "UN72 Please" and let them get on
with it while you have a nice cup of tea, and maybe a bun.

Happy Riding

Andy Chequer