BB Size Number Meanings - ALWAYS getting the wrong part!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Franz Bestuchev, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. I have an older bike that provided me with my first ever experience with
    Al years ago, and went through some bottom bracket issues with it. The
    original that came with the bike was the traditional type with
    loose/removeable separate cups a sleeve in the center, independent
    bearings, and an axle that developed a nasty pit in the bearing track.

    I ran with it this way for a while until it started to get really bad
    and I had to get a replacement from the LBS, I didn't have time to put
    it together just then and when I did I realized that the spacing between
    the bearing races were so far apart that the bottom bracket cups would
    no longer even screw back in...the threads would still stick out 1/4" or
    more. So I tossed that.

    I had since moved and went to a *different* LBS, with all my original
    bottom bracket bits and told that I was now in the world of the Shimano
    "sealed cartridge unit" bottom bracket and that they didn't have
    something there, but would order the right piece. I bought my new Park
    install tool and the boxed Shimano part they had ordered. I once *again*
    moved to another state.

    When I finally got there and installed this bottom bracket I found that
    the only way my bicycle would now fit the front crank was to make it a
    double chainring. I was living in a flat part of the world now, so
    losing the third front chainring wasn't a big deal at the time...upset
    about the part but back on my wheels.

    I now WANT that third chainring back because I'm living in a hilly area.
    I removed the Shimano sealed BB and it is a BB-UN52, "68", BC 1.37x24. I
    no longer have the original pitted axle, but the only thing I can find
    on the original BB parts is "1.37x24T, JAPAN, TANGE".

    So...I think the conclusion is that I need a "1.37x24" (not sure what
    the numbers represent) and that it *needs* to be a "T"...which I can
    only assume means TRIPLE...as in triple chainring.

    Does this qualify me for the genius club? :)

    Are there Shimano gurus whos know what part # I should *specifically*
    tell my current LBS so they can't have ANY opportunity to muck this one
    up? Will my Park bottom brack tool still work on today's Shimano sealed
    cartridges?

    Thanks all.

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:31:03 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have an older bike that provided me with my first ever experience with
    >Al years ago, and went through some bottom bracket issues with it. The
    >original that came with the bike was the traditional type with
    >loose/removeable separate cups a sleeve in the center, independent
    >bearings, and an axle that developed a nasty pit in the bearing track.
    >
    >I ran with it this way for a while until it started to get really bad
    >and I had to get a replacement from the LBS, I didn't have time to put
    >it together just then and when I did I realized that the spacing between
    >the bearing races were so far apart that the bottom bracket cups would
    >no longer even screw back in...the threads would still stick out 1/4" or
    >more. So I tossed that.
    >
    >I had since moved and went to a *different* LBS, with all my original
    >bottom bracket bits and told that I was now in the world of the Shimano
    > "sealed cartridge unit" bottom bracket and that they didn't have
    >something there, but would order the right piece. I bought my new Park
    >install tool and the boxed Shimano part they had ordered. I once *again*
    >moved to another state.
    >
    >When I finally got there and installed this bottom bracket I found that
    >the only way my bicycle would now fit the front crank was to make it a
    >double chainring. I was living in a flat part of the world now, so
    >losing the third front chainring wasn't a big deal at the time...upset
    >about the part but back on my wheels.
    >
    >I now WANT that third chainring back because I'm living in a hilly area.
    >I removed the Shimano sealed BB and it is a BB-UN52, "68", BC 1.37x24. I
    >no longer have the original pitted axle, but the only thing I can find
    >on the original BB parts is "1.37x24T, JAPAN, TANGE".

    Measure the length of that old Tange shaft. If it's 122mm or close to
    it, get a 68 x 122mm UN52; if it's closer to 127mm, then a 68x127 UN52
    should do the trick. A lot of the cranks for the old-style BB setups
    had a 122 (or even 127) shaft length.

    >So...I think the conclusion is that I need a "1.37x24" (not sure what
    >the numbers represent)

    That's the thread diameter and pitch; the important thing is the
    length.

    >and that it *needs* to be a "T"...which I can
    >only assume means TRIPLE...as in triple chainring.

    Pfui. The BB knows not what's on it. The ltngth;s the thing, and
    there are many possible lengths from 110 to 127mm. (Not all are
    available in all models of BB, though.)

    >Does this qualify me for the genius club? :)

    You have come far, Grasshopper, but there is still the challenge of
    the rice paper yet to meet.

    >Are there Shimano gurus whos know what part # I should *specifically*
    >tell my current LBS so they can't have ANY opportunity to muck this one
    >up? Will my Park bottom brack tool still work on today's Shimano sealed
    >cartridges?

    There are many that will work. The dimensions are the important part,
    but there's one more gotcha. Don't slave yourself to Shimano, and if
    you select that brand, watch out for the ones that have threads that
    don't come all the way to the right-side flange; those are intended
    for use with a special fder, and they'll bring you grief with a
    regular setup. (I think those are UN53, but I may be misremembering.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  3. Franz Bestuchev wrote:
    > I removed the Shimano sealed BB and it is a BB-UN52, "68", BC 1.37x24.

    BB-UN52 is Shimano's model number.
    68 is the width of your frame's bb shell in millimeters. Italian
    threaded frames are 70 mm wide, and many MTBs are 73.
    BC may mean British Cut, but I'm not sure at all of that one.
    1.37 is the thread diameter in inches, and 24 the thread pitch, in
    threads-per-inche.

    > the only thing I can find on the original BB parts is "1.37x24T, JAPAN, TANGE".

    Likewise, the threading, country of irigin and brand.

    > it *needs* to be a "T"...which I can
    > only assume means TRIPLE...as in triple chainring.

    The T stands for thread, or tpi, or threads per inch, not for triple.

    > Are there Shimano gurus whos know what part # I should *specifically*
    > tell my current LBS so they can't have ANY opportunity to muck this one
    > up?

    Depends on your crank make model and year. Check Sheldon's bb size
    database:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

    > Will my Park bottom brack tool still work on today's Shimano sealed
    > cartridges?

    There are several Park bottom bracket tools, some will work, some
    won't. http://www.parktool.com/ may have photos or compatibility
    listed.

    Have fun!

  4. Werehatrack wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:31:03 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I have an older bike that provided me with my first ever experience with
    >> Al years ago, and went through some bottom bracket issues with it. The
    >> original that came with the bike was the traditional type with
    >> loose/removeable separate cups a sleeve in the center, independent
    >> bearings, and an axle that developed a nasty pit in the bearing track.
    >>
    >> I ran with it this way for a while until it started to get really bad
    >> and I had to get a replacement from the LBS, I didn't have time to put
    >> it together just then and when I did I realized that the spacing between
    >> the bearing races were so far apart that the bottom bracket cups would
    >> no longer even screw back in...the threads would still stick out 1/4" or
    >> more. So I tossed that.
    >>
    >> I had since moved and went to a *different* LBS, with all my original
    >> bottom bracket bits and told that I was now in the world of the Shimano
    >> "sealed cartridge unit" bottom bracket and that they didn't have
    >> something there, but would order the right piece. I bought my new Park
    >> install tool and the boxed Shimano part they had ordered. I once *again*
    >> moved to another state.
    >>
    >> When I finally got there and installed this bottom bracket I found that
    >> the only way my bicycle would now fit the front crank was to make it a
    >> double chainring. I was living in a flat part of the world now, so
    >> losing the third front chainring wasn't a big deal at the time...upset
    >> about the part but back on my wheels.
    >>
    >> I now WANT that third chainring back because I'm living in a hilly area.
    >> I removed the Shimano sealed BB and it is a BB-UN52, "68", BC 1.37x24. I
    >> no longer have the original pitted axle, but the only thing I can find
    >> on the original BB parts is "1.37x24T, JAPAN, TANGE".

    > Measure the length of that old Tange shaft. If it's 122mm or close to
    > it, get a 68 x 122mm UN52; if it's closer to 127mm, then a 68x127 UN52
    > should do the trick. A lot of the cranks for the old-style BB setups
    > had a 122 (or even 127) shaft length.

    Unfortunately I don't have the shaft. I have the 2 old BB cups, the old
    bearings and the wrong size Shimano sealed BB. That's all...

    >> So...I think the conclusion is that I need a "1.37x24" (not sure what
    >> the numbers represent)

    > That's the thread diameter and pitch; the important thing is the
    > length.
    >
    >> and that it *needs* to be a "T"...which I can
    >> only assume means TRIPLE...as in triple chainring.

    > Pfui. The BB knows not what's on it. The ltngth;s the thing, and
    > there are many possible lengths from 110 to 127mm. (Not all are
    > available in all models of BB, though.)

    This is beginning to sound like I have to ride around town trying part
    after part to see what fits...

    >> Does this qualify me for the genius club? :)

    > You have come far, Grasshopper, but there is still the challenge of
    > the rice paper yet to meet.
    >
    >> Are there Shimano gurus whos know what part # I should *specifically*
    >> tell my current LBS so they can't have ANY opportunity to muck this one
    >> up? Will my Park bottom brack tool still work on today's Shimano sealed
    >> cartridges?

    > There are many that will work. The dimensions are the important part,
    > but there's one more gotcha. Don't slave yourself to Shimano, and if
    > you select that brand, watch out for the ones that have threads that
    > don't come all the way to the right-side flange; those are intended
    > for use with a special fder, and they'll bring you grief with a
    > regular setup. (I think those are UN53, but I may be misremembering.)

    I don't really care who makes the thing, it's for an RX100 triple crank.
    So it's going to be connecting to Shimano on one end, but as far as
    what's in the middle...that just has to be affordable, and sized correctly.

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > Franz Bestuchev wrote:
    >> I removed the Shimano sealed BB and it is a BB-UN52, "68", BC 1.37x24.

    > BB-UN52 is Shimano's model number.
    > 68 is the width of your frame's bb shell in millimeters. Italian
    > threaded frames are 70 mm wide, and many MTBs are 73.
    > BC may mean British Cut, but I'm not sure at all of that one.
    > 1.37 is the thread diameter in inches, and 24 the thread pitch, in
    > threads-per-inche.

    .....ohh...it would *probably* be helpful if I had included info about
    the bike, d'oh.

    It's a Trek 1100. The last year for the 1100, with the Easton E9
    aluminum frame - the year after they only offered the 1200 with the same
    frame and then the 1000. Drivetrain is all RX100.

    >> the only thing I can find on the original BB parts is "1.37x24T, JAPAN, TANGE".

    > Likewise, the threading, country of irigin and brand.
    >
    >> it *needs* to be a "T"...which I can
    >> only assume means TRIPLE...as in triple chainring.

    > The T stands for thread, or tpi, or threads per inch, not for triple.
    >
    >> Are there Shimano gurus whos know what part # I should *specifically*
    >> tell my current LBS so they can't have ANY opportunity to muck this one
    >> up?

    > Depends on your crank make model and year. Check Sheldon's bb size
    > database:
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

    Will be doing.

    >> Will my Park bottom brack tool still work on today's Shimano sealed
    >> cartridges?

    > There are several Park bottom bracket tools, some will work, some
    > won't. http://www.parktool.com/ may have photos or compatibility
    > listed.
    >
    > Have fun!
    >
    >> Thanks all.

  6. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:51:18 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Werehatrack wrote:

    >> Measure the length of that old Tange shaft. If it's 122mm or close to
    >> it, get a 68 x 122mm UN52; if it's closer to 127mm, then a 68x127 UN52
    >> should do the trick. A lot of the cranks for the old-style BB setups
    >> had a 122 (or even 127) shaft length.

    >Unfortunately I don't have the shaft. I have the 2 old BB cups, the old
    >bearings and the wrong size Shimano sealed BB. That's all...

    Shouldn't have thrown the old bit away then.

    >> Pfui. The BB knows not what's on it. The ltngth;s the thing, and
    >> there are many possible lengths from 110 to 127mm. (Not all are
    >> available in all models of BB, though.)

    >This is beginning to sound like I have to ride around town trying part
    >after part to see what fits...

    Measure how long your current shimano BB is and add to that how far extra
    to the right your crank should go, times two (length added goes both right
    and left), and then take as close as you can get to that.

    Jasper

  7. Franz Bestuchev wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Franz Bestuchev wrote:
    > >> I removed the Shimano sealed BB and it is a BB-UN52, "68", BC 1.37x24.

    > > BB-UN52 is Shimano's model number.
    > > 68 is the width of your frame's bb shell in millimeters. Italian
    > > threaded frames are 70 mm wide, and many MTBs are 73.
    > > BC may mean British Cut, but I'm not sure at all of that one.
    > > 1.37 is the thread diameter in inches, and 24 the thread pitch, in
    > > threads-per-inche.

    > ....ohh...it would *probably* be helpful if I had included info about
    > the bike, d'oh.
    >
    > It's a Trek 1100. The last year for the 1100, with the Easton E9
    > aluminum frame - the year after they only offered the 1200 with the same
    > frame and then the 1000. Drivetrain is all RX100.

    Franz,

    Sometimes it is best to start at the beginning. Get ahold of TREK, and
    ask their tech folks what bb spindle size was spec'd on your bike.
    I've found that most mfr's are all too happy to give you that info.
    Armed with the original spindles size, you can then go to your current
    LBS and get the proper parts. Look hard enough on the 'net and you may
    even find the original cup and cone BB in a box somewhere, or if you
    are flush go for a Phil Woods (will outlast your bike).

    Happy hunting

    //jtd//

  8. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    Franz Bestuchev wrote:

    > It's a Trek 1100. The last year for the 1100, with the Easton E9
    > aluminum frame - the year after they only offered the 1200 with the same
    > frame and then the 1000. Drivetrain is all RX100.

    OK- you've got an RX 100 triple crank, and the old BB was English
    thread. According to Sheldon's data:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#rx100 , you should use a BB
    with a 122.5mm length spindle. I think that's what you said you had in
    the first place. Didn't it work?

    Jeff