BB Threads & LockTite

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aero, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aero

Aero Guest

Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for installing a Shimano BB-UN72
    bottom bracket. I have an aluminum BB shell in a carbon fiber frame. The non-drive side plastic ring
    tends to come loose. I torque it to the Shimano spec of about 30-40 newton-meters. I have prepared
    the threads with Finish Line grease. Is Locktite a good idea. If so, what grade. Anybody have an
    suggestions?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Pete Grey

Pete Grey Guest

Try some teflon tape. This has always worked for me, and to others I've recommended to. Just a
    couple of wraps on the threads does it, and you can actually remove the BB later w/o hassle.

-pete

"Aero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for
    installing
    > a Shimano BB-UN72 bottom bracket. I have an aluminum BB shell in a carbon fiber frame. The
    > non-drive side plastic ring tends to come loose. I
    torque
    > it to the Shimano spec of about 30-40 newton-meters. I have prepared the threads with Finish Line
    > grease. Is Locktite a good idea. If so, what grade. Anybody have an suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

3. aero-<< Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for installing a Shimano
    BB-UN72 bottom bracket. << The non-drive side plastic ring tends to come loose.

On a UN-72, the left side ring or cup is aluminum.

What frameset? Perhaps a face and chase of the shell is a good idea.

Also tap off the right cup and grease inside there, along with the left cup.

Decent grease with a prepped frameset should keep all the cups tight-do not use Loctite.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.