BB Threads & LockTite

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aero, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Aero

    Aero Guest

    Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for installing a Shimano BB-UN72
    bottom bracket. I have an aluminum BB shell in a carbon fiber frame. The non-drive side plastic ring
    tends to come loose. I torque it to the Shimano spec of about 30-40 newton-meters. I have prepared
    the threads with Finish Line grease. Is Locktite a good idea. If so, what grade. Anybody have an
    suggestions?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    Try some teflon tape. This has always worked for me, and to others I've recommended to. Just a
    couple of wraps on the threads does it, and you can actually remove the BB later w/o hassle.

    -pete

    "Aero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for
    installing
    > a Shimano BB-UN72 bottom bracket. I have an aluminum BB shell in a carbon fiber frame. The
    > non-drive side plastic ring tends to come loose. I
    torque
    > it to the Shimano spec of about 30-40 newton-meters. I have prepared the threads with Finish Line
    > grease. Is Locktite a good idea. If so, what grade. Anybody have an suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. aero-<< Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for installing a Shimano
    BB-UN72 bottom bracket. << The non-drive side plastic ring tends to come loose.

    On a UN-72, the left side ring or cup is aluminum.

    What frameset? Perhaps a face and chase of the shell is a good idea.

    Also tap off the right cup and grease inside there, along with the left cup.

    Decent grease with a prepped frameset should keep all the cups tight-do not use Loctite.