BB Threads & LockTite

Aero

Guest
Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for installing a Shimano BB-UN72
bottom bracket. I have an aluminum BB shell in a carbon fiber frame. The non-drive side plastic ring
tends to come loose. I torque it to the Shimano spec of about 30-40 newton-meters. I have prepared
the threads with Finish Line grease. Is Locktite a good idea. If so, what grade. Anybody have an
suggestions?

Thanks.

Try some teflon tape. This has always worked for me, and to others I've recommended to. Just a
couple of wraps on the threads does it, and you can actually remove the BB later w/o hassle.

-pete

"Aero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for
installing
> a Shimano BB-UN72 bottom bracket. I have an aluminum BB shell in a carbon fiber frame. The
> non-drive side plastic ring tends to come loose. I
torque
> it to the Shimano spec of about 30-40 newton-meters. I have prepared the threads with Finish Line
> grease. Is Locktite a good idea. If so, what grade. Anybody have an suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

aero-<< Does any body have any recommendations for thread preparation for installing a Shimano
BB-UN72 bottom bracket. << The non-drive side plastic ring tends to come loose.

On a UN-72, the left side ring or cup is aluminum.

What frameset? Perhaps a face and chase of the shell is a good idea.

Also tap off the right cup and grease inside there, along with the left cup.

Decent grease with a prepped frameset should keep all the cups tight-do not use Loctite.