BB30 Crankset Installation

Couloir

Jun 8, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a long time and really appreciate this site. I'm building up a 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 that has the BB30 BB. I'm going to install a SL-K Light crankset and although the install looks very straight-forward I about choked when I saw the price of the EE037 BB30 Bearing Installation Press. $190 -- really? It looks like such a simple tool.

Maybe I'm the simple tool, but my question is, can I perform this install without this tool? Are there alternative tools or work-arounds -- like very carefully/gently tap it in with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet?? I realize I can take it to my LBS, but I'd much prefer to do it myself.

TIA for any help.

Although I have not installed BB30 bearings in a bike frame I have installed many bearings in industrial machinery and electrical motors. You can make your own press with threaded rod. The only thing you need to do is make sure you only apply pressure to the outer race of the bearing while installing it. If you apply pressure to the inner race you will destroy the bearing.

Agree with Davereo that a simple press made from a threaded rod should do the job. My bike has the FSA Megatech BB, 43mm bearings pressed directly into the shell. I made up a press using 5/16" threaded rod, washers, nuts and some 1" PVC connectors; they were prefect size for the OD of my bearings. Work slowly, keeping bearings square as they start and it should go easily.

Couloir said:
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking for a long time and really appreciate this site. I'm building up a 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 that has the BB30 BB. I'm going to install a SL-K Light crankset and although the install looks very straight-forward I about choked when I saw the price of the EE037 BB30 Bearing Installation Press. $190 -- really? It looks like such a simple tool.
Maybe I'm the simple tool, but my question is, can I perform this install without this tool? Are there alternative tools or work-arounds -- like very carefully/gently tap it in with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet?? I realize I can take it to my LBS, but I'd much prefer to do it myself.
TIA for any help.
Harbor Freight probably have a similar tool for about $9 - or you could just pay you local Cannondale dealer a nominal fee to spend 10 minutes pressing in the bearings with the correct tool - plus you always have the fall back of letting them screw up your frame if they get it horribly wrong. :p

Coulior, Buy the FSA Consumer BB30 tool for $11.00 on AMAZON. If you don't have a headset press Pricepoint sells a very sollid press for about $50 (Sette) Mine has served me well. I have installed several BB30 bearings without any problems. Just make sure you bottom the bearings against the snap rings to ensure they are installed square. BTW the VCRC ceramic bearings are worth every penney. $80 on EBAY but they don't come with the snap rings, spacers, dust shields.