BBC Essex biased reporting, cycling

del

Guest
Show ends at 1200 today.
BBC Essex, PO Box 765, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 9XB
Tel: 01245 616000, Phone-in: 01245 495050, Textphone: 01245 347230 (for
the hearing impaired) Helpline: 01245 348348, E-mail: [email protected]

E-mail: [email protected] for the DJ hosting the show.
FM 103.5 or 95.3
Also streamed on the www.
--
del :cool:

del wrote:

What in particular is it that you didn't like?

...d

On Monday 05 Dec 2005 11:14 David Martin, wrote:

> del wrote:
>
> What in particular is it that you didn't like?

Top posting ;-)

The very pro helmet stance of the DJ and the general disregard for the
way cyclists have been lumped into the "all cyclists are no lights
night riders, red light jumpers, pavement riding, no helmet wearing and
not taxed, insured or MOTd" road users and "not using cycle paths".
Not so much the fault of the DJ since it's a call in show, the start of
which I missed, but the people of Essex. Most of the calls I've heard,
bear in mind I've missed a lot of the show, have been very negative
towards cyclists. Can't call ATM otherwise I would try to put a more
positive POV across.

He's just got an email about the myth of helmets from a cycling
instructor, there is hope yet. Maybe he'll get and read my email as
well.
--
del :cool:

del wrote:
> On Monday 05 Dec 2005 11:14 David Martin, wrote:
>
> > del wrote:
> >
> > What in particular is it that you didn't like?
> >

> Top posting ;-)

There is a time and a place for top posting.

In this case I was responding to the subject, and not the contact
details.
So it was appropriate. In this case, I am responding to your comment,
so I reply below that.

Hopefully you understand the reason for criticising mindless top
posting, rather than just dismissing it out of hand in some kind of
usenet religious fervour.

...d

On Monday 05 Dec 2005 11:41 David Martin, wrote:

>> > What in particular is it that you didn't like?
>> >

>> Top posting ;-)

> There is a time and a place for top posting.

Yes there is.

> In this case I was responding to the subject, and not the contact
> details.
> So it was appropriate.

It could be, but trimming is also appropriate.

> Hopefully you understand the reason for criticising mindless top
> posting, rather than just dismissing it out of hand in some kind of
> Usenet religious fervour.

I still use text Usenet readers, very rarely though.
I hope you're not thinking I'm having a go at you and my apologies if it
has come across that way. It was an attempt at humor.
--
del :cool:

del wrote:
> It could be, but trimming is also appropriate.

Sorry.
;-)
...d

On Monday 05 Dec 2005 12:35 David Martin, wrote:
> del wrote:
>> It could be, but trimming is also appropriate.

> Sorry.
> ;-)

No need for that.
Did you catch any of the show? Did any one catch the show? The DJ never
got back to the "myth of helmets" email and it's all been left hanging
on the initial, almost, anti cycling/ists callers view of cycling in
Essex and the DJs pro helmet stance.
May not be a total loss though since the DJ did announce the myth email
in a very questioning tone, so it's possible he may check into things a
bit more and go on from there.
My view on helmets is choice. Although we shall all eventually be forced
to wear them, with a few exceptions based on medical or religious
grounds.
--
del :cool:

Following on from del's message. . .
>Did you catch any of the show? Did any one catch the show? The DJ never
>got back to the "myth of helmets" email and it's all been left hanging
>on the initial, almost, anti cycling/ists callers view of cycling in
>Essex and the DJs pro helmet stance.
>May not be a total loss though since the DJ did announce the myth email
>in a very questioning tone, so it's possible he may check into things a
>bit more and go on from there.

I heard 5 mins and Del is right there was the assumption that anyone not
wearing a helmet was nuts. So it was me who emailed about the myth and
also the value of training.. Shame the BBC haven't offered to do a
proper report as I offered to do.

<Quote>
I heard your Time To Talk for five minutes today and various comments
were being made about cycling - helmets, training (I expect pavements
will also come up)

I am a qualified Cycling Instructor who can quote chapter and verse on
these matters.

Including.
* Cycling helmets - the myth that they are effective
* Training - Where is it?!

If you want to do an informed piece then call me.
</Quote>

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed
[email protected]