BBC News: Cycling 'cuts breast cancer risk'

Michael D

Guest
This article has just appeared on BBC News Online:

"Cycling could cut women's risk of breast cancer by a third, researchers have suggested. Just three
hours of moderately intensive cycling a week carries a protective effect of 34%, they say.

"German researchers found the benefits of cycling appeared to increase the more women did. "Previous
research has suggested exercise can reduce cancer risk. This study suggests cycling could have
particular benefits.

"But the researchers admit this could be partly because those questioned had a better recall of bike
riding compared to other forms of exercise."

Full story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2743965.stm

I'm not a scientist, so I can't really comment on the quality of the research, but it might be of
interest for some.

Michael D

Hi,

Here's a link to the report abstract:
http://aje.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/157/2/121?maxtoshow=&HITS=10
&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=cycling&searchid=1044904850862_2065&stored_s
earch=&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=157&issue=2&journalcode=amjepid

Apparently you have to pay to see the full text.

Regards, Roger Fretwell

news:[email protected]...

Michael D wrote:
> This article has just appeared on BBC News Online:
>
> "Cycling could cut women's risk of breast cancer by a third, researchers have suggested. Just
> three hours of moderately intensive cycling a week carries a protective effect of 34%, they say.

Interesting to see that this is put out on the same day as this news article saying that women are
largely unaware of the much greater risks of heart disease (which kills 4 times the number that die
of breast cancer):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/2735677.stm

And of course we all already know that cycling will cut the (much greater) risk of a heart attack,
and probably by much more than 34% too.

James

PS am I the only person who prefers the low graphics version of BBC news? The text is much bigger
and clearer (and better laid out), there's not so much random useless graphics and of course it's
faster to load.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:14:25 +0900, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

>And of course we all already know that cycling will cut the (much greater) risk of a heart attack,
>and probably by much more than 34% too.

Indeed - in life years lost heart disease is 1.7 times more serious than road fatalities; in actual
deaths it's 30 times higher (from memory) - and they say cycling is dangerous!

I wish we could persuade the BBC to make more of this kind of thing. Apart from anything else, the
risks for cyclists on the roads decrease the more people ride.

Oh, we all know this stuff. I'll shut up.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.