BBC Poll: Should all cities have car-free days?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:05:35 +0100, Coyoteboy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:51:28 +0100, Coyoteboy
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Organisers of these events who do so with "its good publicity for bikes
>>> and makes car drivers think about the possibility of using a bike" are
>>> in their own cloud cookoo land.

>> That wasn't the aim. The aim was to encourage more new and returning
>> cyclists to ride regularly on London's roads.
>>
>> Looking at the joy on so many people's faces as they cycled around I
>> am sure a great many will use the bicycle more regularly.

>But the point is the numbers are already going up (by 83% they claim)
>and in so are causing more and more dislike amongst the other road users
>- as noted by the press to some extent. Its pointless inviting people
>out to ride around car-free because its just a publicity stunt by the
>mayor - the percentage that will use their bike instead of a car in
>future is minimal - most people, I'll wager, were simply doing it for
>the chance to ride around london without cars, not finishing with any
>real intentions of riding in future. Especially since vast numbers came
>from outside london anyway.

I have sometimes wondered if part of the Transport for London's
cycling strategy is to create mass cycling routes into central london
from staging hubs, and the London Cycle Network Plus routes are a
start of this process.

Listening to the feedback from the LCC borough co-ordinators on the
Freewheel hub system, many inadequacies of the road system for mass
cycling has been highlighted.

==========

"I'd say brilliant in all aspects except one: the ride from our hub
(Clapham) to the central route. Releasing inexp cyclists 20 or so at a
time into major busy traffic streams without assistance was a horror,
esp. in contrast to our well marshalled ride into the hub from
Wimbledon. I was extremely concerned about riders' safety on this bit
and if the same system is employed next year I would bypass the hub
entirely and lead our group safely all the way in to central route.
this absolutely warranted police marshalling and rolling road closure
which the budget could have covered, and we should insist on this to
improve it for next year. I hope there were no serious incidents
arising from this, because there were plenty of impatient motorists
trying to squeeze pass wobbling young children..."

==========

"Definitely lessons to be learned about the node - centre rides and
the process of linking riders with the "leaders of the feeders".

Between Viccy Park and the course we were told to ride in single
file through a junction because it was "busy". Luckily we ignored it
and rode through in true CM style - much safer esp for the small
children who could be shielded by adult riders."

===========

Hell, even my small group of 100 or so had difficulties turning right
onto Tower Bridge from Queen Elizabeth Street, and that is a junction
specifically designed to allow cyclists only to turn right. Had we
obeyed the traffic lights it would have taken about 10 phases to get
us all through, but by good marshalling we all got through well within
a single phase, speeding up the overall traffic flow for motorists.

On Sep 24, 7:53 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7009034.stm
>
> Results currently 74.2% Yes, 24.1% No, 1.7% Don't Know.
>
> --
> Tony

Here's my video of the day:
http://www.skatevideoslive.com/cycling-hovis-london-freewheel-2007.html

Can't believe all the moaning about the event on this topic. I
thought it was a load of fun and a brilliant day out. This is cycling
critical mass how it should be - instead of a politically oriented
pain in the ass. I must admit I did it on my skates though, not a
bike, better for videoing too.

On Sep 24, 8:08 pm, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Listening to the feedback from the LCC borough co-ordinators on the
> Freewheel hub system, many inadequacies of the road system for mass
> cycling has been highlighted.
>
> ==========
>
> "I'd say brilliant in all aspects except one: the ride from our hub
> (Clapham) to the central route. Releasing inexp cyclists 20 or so at a
> time into major busy traffic streams without assistance was a horror,
> esp. in contrast to our well marshalled ride into the hub from
> Wimbledon. I was extremely concerned about riders' safety on this bit
> and if the same system is employed next year I would bypass the hub
> entirely and lead our group safely all the way in to central route.
> this absolutely warranted police marshalling and rolling road closure
> which the budget could have covered, and we should insist on this to
> improve it for next year. I hope there were no serious incidents
> arising from this, because there were plenty of impatient motorists
> trying to squeeze pass wobbling young children..."
>
> ==========

We rode from that hub and I have to agree with that assessment. It was
dreadful and it was not a led ride as reported. It was clear that the
organisers' main concern was that cyclists wouldn't impede motorised
traffic. Releasing groups 20 at a time and insisting they rode 2
abreast was asking for trouble.

The ride back to the Clapham Common hub was by a slightly different
route and had some nasty bits. At one stage a car forced its way
alongside a group of us waiting in the box at an ASL and then pulled
across in front of us so it could be first away from the lights. I see
that sort of thing regularly of course but Sue, who is less used to
London motons as seen from a bike, was horrified by some of their
antics.

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> We rode from that hub and I have to agree with that assessment. It was
> dreadful and it was not a led ride as reported. It was clear that the
> organisers' main concern was that cyclists wouldn't impede motorised
> traffic. Releasing groups 20 at a time and insisting they rode 2
> abreast was asking for trouble.
>
> The ride back to the Clapham Common hub was by a slightly different
> route and had some nasty bits. At one stage a car forced its way
> alongside a group of us waiting in the box at an ASL and then pulled
> across in front of us so it could be first away from the lights. I see
> that sort of thing regularly of course but Sue, who is less used to
> London motons as seen from a bike, was horrified by some of their
> antics.

The ride from Finsbury Park was similar and I can't see the experience
encouraging many to get out on their bikes in London - appalling road
surfaces and driver behavior. I have written to the Mayor's Office as
the worst offenders were the TfL buses - about 50% of the one's we
encountered were not being friendly or safe towards the cyclists. One
revved its engine to overtake a large bunch of cyclists and then when
alongside them tried to pull over into a bus stop.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
<usenet.is.worse@plusnet.?.invalid> writes

>I did answer "Don't know" on the "Should savers take their money out of
>Northern Rock?" poll simply because I wanted to see what the result was
>without voting Yes or No!

I decided to brave it out and leave my savings in NR - all 98p of them.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

congokid said the following on 26/09/2007 14:47:

> I decided to brave it out and leave my savings in NR - all 98p of them.

That's 98p more than me then - I was just curious :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tony Raven wrote:
> One
> revved its engine to overtake a large bunch of cyclists and then when
> alongside them tried to pull over into a bus stop.

I thought they were meant to do that? Thats how im normally treated
around Liverpool when on a bike :)

In news:[email protected],
Tony Raven <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> The ride from Finsbury Park was similar and I can't see the experience
> encouraging many to get out on their bikes in London - appalling road
> surfaces and driver behavior. I have written to the Mayor's Office as
> the worst offenders were the TfL buses - about 50% of the one's we
> encountered were not being friendly or safe towards the cyclists. One
> revved its engine to overtake a large bunch of cyclists and then when
> alongside them tried to pull over into a bus stop.

We had a similar experience in Chatteris on last year's Mildenhall 300.
Just proves that 99% of bus drivers are Servants of Stan.

--
Dave Larrington
Funsize Mars bars? What could possibly be MORE fun about eating

in message <[email protected]>, Coyoteboy
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I think thats purely down to a safety and crime solution, not due to
> them being green. We'd all like to see bikes encouraged, but i wouldnt
> like to see cars eliminated either.

It would make sense, though, to ban cars altogether from everywhere there's
currently a 30mph speed limit. Cars aren't needed in urban areas and are
just a nuisance for everyone.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

in message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
('[email protected]') wrote:

> dkahn400 wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 8:20 am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> "Traffic was banned from several roads in central London for the day to
>>> make way for thousands of cyclists" - this really pisses me off, no
>>> wonder the drivers of motor vehicles think bikes don't have as much
>>> right to use the road.

>> Let's have a proper car free day and have private motor traffic banned
>> from the entire Congestion Charge area on a weekday. :)

> Why only motor traffic?

Because private motor traffic in urban areas imposes costs on society out
of all proportion to its benefits to society.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Coyoteboy
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>I think thats purely down to a safety and crime solution, not due to
>>them being green. We'd all like to see bikes encouraged, but i wouldnt
>>like to see cars eliminated either.

> It would make sense, though, to ban cars altogether from everywhere there's
> currently a 30mph speed limit. Cars aren't needed in urban areas and are
> just a nuisance for everyone

....except the majority of the population who drive them, are
transported in them or are served by those who arrive in them.

That's not to say there isn't a downside, but "not needed in urban
areas" is just a little too far on the side of hyperbole [does my road
in a village - subject to a 30 limit - count as an "urban area"?].