BBC R4 - bicycle saddles

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Burton, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. R4 news at 7am. Shock horror! New Belgian report shows that bicycle saddles can seriously damage
    your health, and cause genital problems, yawn, a fact that has only been known for about 70 years,
    so why are they publicising this report on the first day of NBW? No balancing reports of the health
    benefits, or quotes from any cycling organisation.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm

    I have emailed a complaint, please consider doing the same: this kind of irresponsible reporting is
    seriously damaging to cycling, and its timing can only be described as deliberate sabotage.

    cheers

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:
    > R4 news at 7am. Shock horror! New Belgian report shows that bicycle saddles can seriously damage
    > your health, and cause genital problems, yawn, a fact that has only been known for about 70 years,
    > so why are they publicising this report on the first day of NBW? No balancing reports of the
    > health benefits, or quotes from any cycling organisation.

    I heard it too. Interestingly, R4 reported that 90% of cyclists suffer genital discomfort while BBCi
    reports 60%. And advising people to stand up on their pedals is never a good idea given the poor
    state of many bikes I see on the streets.

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > R4 news at 7am. Shock horror! New Belgian report shows that bicycle
    saddles
    > can seriously damage your health, and cause genital problems, yawn, a fact that has only been
    > known for about 70 years, so why are they publicising this report on the first day of NBW? No
    > balancing reports of the health benefits, or quotes from any cycling organisation.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm
    >
    > I have emailed a complaint, please consider doing the same: this kind of irresponsible reporting
    > is seriously damaging to cycling, and its timing
    can
    > only be described as deliberate sabotage.

    Who did you e-mail the complaint to? I'm looking for someone to fire a missive at.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Richard Burton
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > R4 news at 7am. Shock horror! New Belgian report shows that bicycle saddles can seriously damage
    > your health, and cause genital problems, yawn, a fact that has only been known for about 70 years,
    > so why are they publicising this report on the first day of NBW? No balancing reports of the
    > health benefits, or quotes from any cycling organisation.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm
    >
    > I have emailed a complaint, please consider doing the same: this kind of irresponsible reporting
    > is seriously damaging to cycling, and its timing can only be described as deliberate sabotage.

    Have done. Incidentally the Telegraph on-line carried the story and while they couldn't resist the
    scare angle they did get quotes from Boardman and a man from the CTC. Mind you the CTC solution was
    to suggest gettin a leather rather than plastic saddle. Ermmm yes...... http://www.dailytelegraph.c-
    o.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/15/nsadd15.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/06/15/ixhome.html

    Nice day for a spot of impotence risking.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

  6. This was my response to the BBC ...

    At http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm

    "Impotence warning hits Bike Week

    Male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer from impotence as those who stay away from bikes,
    according to a new study. The report also found that certain saddles can cause health problems for
    women cyclists"

    Well, duh, the possible problems of an ill-fitting saddle are only something that's been known about
    for at least 70 years. It's not news. It's why you find a vast array of saddles on sale in bike
    shops and, it's even possible to buy female specific saddles. We all have differently shaped and
    sized nether regions and life is more comfortable with a saddle that fits well. But never let a fact
    come in the way of a bit of outdated and sensationalist reporting.

    Now why on earth would the BBC want to promote an article about something known to cyclists for
    the past 70 years as possible, but of very low-risk of happening, as something new and without any
    balance in the reporting showing how the health benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks? Even
    the British Medical Association has publicly stated the benefits of cycling far outweigh the
    risks. It couldn't be the BBC with its anti-cycling bias showing again, especially as you do it at
    the start of Bike Week. Perhaps your editor-in-charge is related to Jeremy Clarkson. No mention of
    how cycling hasn't stopped many a cyclist from producing kids - Chris Boardman has quite a few and
    many a cyclist winning a stage of the Tour de France, or the like, has been photographed holding
    his offspring aloft. Why is the BBC trying to imitate the sensationalism of the tabloid press?
    Shame on you!

    The Belgian study you refer to in your article is deeply flawed, as the vast weight of evidence over
    many years shows the risk of male impotence due to cycling is very small indeed, as are the risks of
    any health problems for women. The health benefits of cycling are far, far greater than any of the
    risks. But why let a bit of balance get in the way of sensationalism?

    Being a cyclist married to a cyclist, I can categorically state it has had no adverse effect on our
    desire or ability to indulge in passionate moments and it hasn't stopped the production of
    offspring. Indeed if anything, it has increased our fitness levels so we ENJOY passion, even though
    he's in his fifties and I'm in my forties. Stick that up your sensationalist saddle area BBC. Get
    out on your bikes and it might use up some reporting time with an enjoyable and healthy form of
    exercise which is highly likely to improve your desire for passion rather than diminish it!

    I suggest you do a follow up article on the risks to health of being stuck sitting behind the wheel
    of a car all day, which increases stress levels, promotes obesity due to lack of exercise and
    increases the risk of heart disease. Finally, as a real risk to health, an article on how drivers of
    motorised vehicles kill and injure thousands of people in the UK each and every year wouldn't be
    out-of-place in highlighting a real risk to health.

    Sincerely, Helen Simmons

    (Thank you for the lesson in tabloid style hype in writing - I enjoyed that part of it at least.)

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:44:03 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm

    Well if poeple will insist on riding on those funny razor-blade thingies perched up in the air...

    Guy
    ===

  8. Nc

    Nc Guest

  9. . So now we have another reference to Belgium to add to the Great International Famous Things About
    Belgium catalogue. Any minute now and we'll need a second page....

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:55:03 +0100, [email protected] wrote:

    >So now we have another reference to Belgium to add to the Great International Famous Things About
    >Belgium catalogue. Any minute now and we'll need a second page....

    <http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A1026019>

    Guy
    ===

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On 15 Jun 2003 10:33:26 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

    >This was my response to the BBC ...

    Cor, a good slabbing for the BBC. She's a bit handy way with the old invective our Helen, isn't she?

    --
    Dave...

  12. .
    >>So now we have another reference to Belgium to add to the Great International Famous Things
    >>About Belgium catalogue. Any minute now and we'll need a second page....
    >
    ><http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A1026019>
    >
    >Guy
    >===
    Yuss, but - "Who are these people? Are they one of us?"