BBC story re pollution / excise duties

Dave Larrington wrote:

> It seems to me, therefore, that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that two people, each
> with a trailer, could do the weekly shop for a family.

It is not. We are two adults, four children. We often use one trailer, and combined with use of
internet shopping and home delivery we have no need to use a car for food shopping.

> The shops would have to be close enough, natch; I would not espouse this method for those living
> in remote rural areas but in towns and cities it is not that difficult.

We live in a semi-rural area, nearest large supermarket is seven miles away.

John B

Car-free John B wrote:

> We live in a semi-rural area, nearest large supermarket is seven miles away.

Respect! Are there any Big Hills between you and said supermarket?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
>Car-free John B wrote:
>>We live in a semi-rural area, nearest large supermarket is seven miles away.
>Respect! Are there any Big Hills between you and said supermarket?

Taking a trailer up a big hill's not the end of the world - but, like a recumbent rider, you've
got to have the low gears and the patience to sit and spin them. It's only the heroes who have
real trouble.

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
>It seems to me, therefore, that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that two people, each
>with a trailer, could do the weekly shop for a family.

I think even if we accept the idea that one cannot possibly purchase food more often than once a
week, _one_ person with a trailer could manage it. There are some pretty huge trailers out there,
and 4 panniers isn't a lot compared to a huge trailer but it's not to be sniffed at - one of the
enormous Carradice saddlebags and a large handlebar bag would round out the picture; and all of this
kit still cost about nothing compared to the family car.

Of course, one can't buy bogroll by the hundredweight, but that isn't actually strictly necessary...

On Thu, 8 May 2003 01:32:53 +0100, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It was one example. Another would be for food shopping for people with families. Say that's weekly,
>that makes 104 journeys a year alone.

None of which by car, in this family at least. And I'm the bike bigot, my wife just refuses to drive
when it's quicker to walk. We shop at Waitrose in Caversham. Sometimes she'll stop at a different
supermarket in passing, in which case she may be in the car, but the vast majority of our family's
shopping (and we both work, by the way) is done on foot.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Tue, 6 May 2003 21:07:40 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Chris Malcolm) wrote:

>Any fule kno that a free market is only good for regulating things where those who benefit pay for
>the benefits they get.

Thank you for a clear and succinct reply, and with a Molesworth reference as icing on the cake :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems to me, therefore, that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that two people, each
> with a trailer, could do the weekly shop for a family. The shops would have to be close enough,
> natch; I would not espouse this method for those living in remote rural areas

I live in a rural area. According to the Beeb (Radio 4) at the time of the last election, the second
most rural constituency in England. And the national park I'm in is known for being hilly. I have a
bike and no car. The only serious drawback to using it for shopping (or anything else) is the
nuisance caused by far too many cars.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

David Damerell wrote:

> Of course, one can't buy bogroll by the hundredweight, but that isn't actually strictly
> necessary...

I can see you've never met my missus...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

David Damerell wrote:

> Taking a trailer up a big hill's not the end of the world - but, like a recumbent rider, you've
> got to have the low gears and the patience to sit and spin them.

This is true, especially when you combine recumbency and a trailer. A couple of years ago I had
cause to tow a BoB with 45 lbs on it up the hill next to Dover Castle with a Kingcycle armed with a
20" bottom gear. And two small panniers. It was pleasing to note that I beat my mate Paul, who
pushed his Kingcycle / trailer rig, to the top by the time required to smoke one Marlboro...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<+Yw*[email protected]>...

> like a recumbent rider, you've got to have the low gears and the patience to sit and spin them.

Not sure if you're aware - "Legs Larry" is a noted darksider.

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems to me, therefore, that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that two people, each
> with a trailer, could do the weekly shop for a family. The shops would have to be close enough,
> natch; I would not espouse this method for those living in remote rural areas but in towns and
> cities it is not that difficult.

We have a van, but I do most of the food shopping (for two adults and two cats) with my Greenspeed
GTO and a BoB Coz trailer ( I take a pannier as well to hold "delicate" stuff like apples that might
bruise in the trailer). The rest is delivered once a month - mainly the frozen stuff.

It's 6 (mostly, but not entirely, flat) miles to the nearest supermarket of any size. Of course, not
having a day job makes it easier, but when i did have one, I'd do the shopping on the way home...

--
Carol Hague "You can't run away forever - but there's nothing wrong with getting a good
head start..."