BBC Talking Point

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2582749.stm

    An opportunity to spread the word. Congestion? Not me, mate, I'm on my bike!

    Don't tell uk.cagers.whinge.whinge.whinge, though ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  2. Pdannyd

    Pdannyd Guest

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2582749.stm
    >
    > An opportunity to spread the word. Congestion? Not me, mate, I'm on my bike!
    >
    > Don't tell uk.cagers.whinge.whinge.whinge, though ;-)

    A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it how you will) that proved
    beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest form of travel through
    city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated the same as walking or
    slightly slower.

  3. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:36:52 -0000, "PDannyD"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it how you will) that proved
    >beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest form of travel through
    >city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated the same as walking or
    >slightly slower.

    Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

    I cannot speak for city centres as I don't live in one and haven't travelled in one for some time.
    I'd guess, though, that a motorbike or scooter wouod be a pretty fast way around the area. However,
    as I own neither, a bike is, IMO, far superior. I loathe walking, BTW - it's painful.

    More locally, the fastest way around is in one particular white Vauxall Astra GTE (old style) with
    an incredibly loud "music" system.

    Let me flap my right wing.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:52:38 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

    And they know it's the truth, because the little voices in their heads tell them so :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Pdannyd

    Pdannyd Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:36:52 -0000, "PDannyD"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it
    how
    > >you will) that proved beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest
    > >form of travel through city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated
    > >the same as walking or slightly slower.
    > >

    > Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

    ...one of Pratchett's better stories.

  6. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:57:02 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.
    >
    >And they know it's the truth, because the little voices in their heads tell them so :)

    Jest ye not, Missus.

    Said paper has printed two (or possibly more) letters from the eminent Mr Mason, or do I
    mean Eminem?

    They're coming to take me away ...

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:51:43 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They're coming to take me away ...

    B side: ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht, by vix Noelopan. I remember it well.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:21:09 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>They're coming to take me away ...
    >
    >B side: ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht, by vix Noelopan. I remember it well.

    And you're next. D'you mean Nepolean, perchance? I'm too young.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:00:47 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>D'you mean Napolean, perchance? I'm too young.

    ^^^^^^^^ spelling correction (fixed pitched font)
    >It was a novelty record called "They're coming to take me away, ha ha" by Napoleon XIV - the B side
    >was the A side recorded backwards.

    I've heard of said ditty. Backwards, eh? You are condemed to the dark side, doubly so, in your case.

    Samaj

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:31:03 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

    >> I've heard of said ditty. Backwards, eh? You are condemed to the dark side, doubly so, in
    >> your case.
    >
    >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....

    Carol

    You admit this without being forced?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  11. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:31:03 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

    > >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....
    >
    > Carol
    >
    > You admit this without being forced?

    Oh yes. I have no pride :)

    --
    Carol Hague "He really has a noble heart and the best of intentions. He just happens to be stark
    raving mad."

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:17:23 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

    >> >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....
    >> You admit this without being forced?
    >Oh yes. I have no pride :)

    Neither do I - I have a small collection of (?) atrocious records including the Funky Gibbon,
    Einstein A Go-Go, Shiny Shiny (remember that?) and some others. All are execrable, and guaranteed to
    make me laugh :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)