BBC Talking Point

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2582749.stm

An opportunity to spread the word. Congestion? Not me, mate, I'm on my bike!

Don't tell uk.cagers.whinge.whinge.whinge, though ;-)

--
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

Tags:

2. Pdannyd

Pdannyd Guest

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2582749.stm
    >
    > An opportunity to spread the word. Congestion? Not me, mate, I'm on my bike!
    >
    > Don't tell uk.cagers.whinge.whinge.whinge, though ;-)

A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it how you will) that proved
    beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest form of travel through
    city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated the same as walking or
    slightly slower.

3. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:36:52 -0000, "PDannyD"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

>A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it how you will) that proved
    >beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest form of travel through
    >city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated the same as walking or
    >slightly slower.
    >

Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

I cannot speak for city centres as I don't live in one and haven't travelled in one for some time.
    I'd guess, though, that a motorbike or scooter wouod be a pretty fast way around the area. However,
    as I own neither, a bike is, IMO, far superior. I loathe walking, BTW - it's painful.

More locally, the fastest way around is in one particular white Vauxall Astra GTE (old style) with
    an incredibly loud "music" system.

Let me flap my right wing.

James

--
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

4. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:52:38 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

And they know it's the truth, because the little voices in their heads tell them so :)

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

5. Pdannyd

Pdannyd Guest

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:36:52 -0000, "PDannyD"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it
    how
    > >you will) that proved beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest
    > >form of travel through city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated
    > >the same as walking or slightly slower.
    > >
    >
    > Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

...one of Pratchett's better stories.

6. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:57:02 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.
    >
    >And they know it's the truth, because the little voices in their heads tell them so :)
    >

Jest ye not, Missus.

Said paper has printed two (or possibly more) letters from the eminent Mr Mason, or do I
    mean Eminem?

They're coming to take me away ...

James

--

7. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:51:43 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>They're coming to take me away ...

B side: ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht, by vix Noelopan. I remember it well.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

8. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:21:09 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>They're coming to take me away ...
    >
    >B side: ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht, by vix Noelopan. I remember it well.
    >

And you're next. D'you mean Nepolean, perchance? I'm too young.

James

--

9. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:00:47 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>D'you mean Napolean, perchance? I'm too young.
    >
    ^^^^^^^^ spelling correction (fixed pitched font)
    >It was a novelty record called "They're coming to take me away, ha ha" by Napoleon XIV - the B side
    >was the A side recorded backwards.
    >

I've heard of said ditty. Backwards, eh? You are condemed to the dark side, doubly so, in your case.

Samaj

--

10. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:31:03 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

>> I've heard of said ditty. Backwards, eh? You are condemed to the dark side, doubly so, in
    >> your case.
    >
    >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....

Carol

You admit this without being forced?

James

--

11. Carol Hague

Carol Hague Guest

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:31:03 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

> >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....
    >
    > Carol
    >
    > You admit this without being forced?

Oh yes. I have no pride :)

--
    Carol Hague "He really has a noble heart and the best of intentions. He just happens to be stark
    raving mad."
    - Jon DeCles, _The Particolored Unicorn_

12. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:17:23 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

>> >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....
    >> You admit this without being forced?
    >Oh yes. I have no pride :)

Neither do I - I have a small collection of (?) atrocious records including the Funky Gibbon,
    Einstein A Go-Go, Shiny Shiny (remember that?) and some others. All are execrable, and guaranteed to
    make me laugh :-D

Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.