BBC Top Gear Madness

Tony W

Guest
I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate in the local elections (I
have munged references to party as that is irrelevant the stupidity of the idea and to URC)

"Request from Top Gear

BBC 1 TOP GEAR is making a piece entitled "fastest political party". This will involve a candidate
or elected representative of each of the three parties being given a rally-driving lesson at a track
in Surrey, racing around the course and then filming a piece in the studio at a later date.

They are looking for a Monster Raving Loony MP/councillor/MSP/AM/candidate who can handle a rally
car and would be willing to participate. Please contact Andy Pandy in the Press Office if you're
interested"

My reply to our party hack was:-

"Are we sure we want to encourage a bunch of mindless petrol-heads?

Surely there are many better points that we should be trying to get over regarding sustainable,
integrated transport systems; the health benefits of walking and cycling; the need to control
the car if it is not to strangle the freedom it is supposed to bring from our cities and
countryside; the desirability of reducing speed to reduce the toll of nearly 3000 dead on our
roads each year etc. etc.

Perhaps the MRL participant could demonstrate his/her contempt for the master plan by driving the
course to be the safest and most economical driver??"

Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain dead
petrol-heads.

Tony

> Heads up folks

Did you *have* to?

Far too many baseball references (and this one in particular) are creeping into uk newsgroup
vernacular.

F A

Clarkson...!!! Top Gear...!!! If they weren't so funny.

They did a similar thing last year with grannies, religious leaders and others. As it was on an
airfield racing track, I felt that it was fair enough. Motor sport has its place.

I got far more upset by a Clarkson article in the Sunday Times last year in which he admitted
driving from Devon to his Chipping Campden home at an average speed of 93 miles per hour. This
included, by his own admission, stopping in that car-park known as Stroud.

His reason for doing this? So that he could be home in time for his daughter's birthday party!

I suggested that the number of daughters capable of having birthdays would be maximised if ar**holes
like him didn't drive at such reckless speeds.

Never got an answer.

Peter.

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate
in
> the local elections (I have munged references to party as that is
irrelevant
> the stupidity of the idea and to URC)
>
> "Request from Top Gear
>
> BBC 1 TOP GEAR is making a piece entitled "fastest political party". This will involve a candidate
> or elected representative of each of the three parties being given a rally-driving lesson at a
> track in Surrey, racing around the course and then filming a piece in the studio at a later date.
>
> They are looking for a Monster Raving Loony MP/councillor/MSP/AM/candidate who can handle a rally
> car and would be willing to participate. Please contact Andy Pandy in the Press Office if you're
> interested"
>
> My reply to our party hack was:-
>
> "Are we sure we want to encourage a bunch of mindless petrol-heads?
>
> Surely there are many better points that we should be trying to get over regarding sustainable,
> integrated transport systems; the health benefits
of
> walking and cycling; the need to control the car if it is not to strangle the freedom it is
> supposed to bring from our cities and countryside; the desirability of reducing speed to reduce
> the toll of nearly 3000 dead on
our
> roads each year etc. etc.
>
> Perhaps the MRL participant could demonstrate his/her contempt for the master plan by driving the
> course to be the safest and most economical driver??"
>
> Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain dead
> petrol-heads.

> Tony

In a brief moment of lucidity Tony W scribbled:

> I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate in the local elections (I
> have munged references to party as that is irrelevant the stupidity of the idea and to URC)

<snip>

> Surely there are many better points that we should be trying to get over regarding sustainable,
> integrated transport systems; the health benefits of walking and cycling; the need to control the
> car if it is not to strangle the freedom it is supposed to bring from our cities and countryside;
> the desirability of reducing speed to reduce the toll of nearly 3000 dead on our roads each year
> etc. etc.

If you think so, then why not go on the show and do that, instead of whinging about it to no-one in
particular.

> Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain dead
> petrol-heads.

Nope, I see no problem in a 'bit of fun' .. ;)

--

Completed 1562 Seti work units in 11835 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

"al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I got far more upset by a Clarkson article in the Sunday Times last year
in
> which he admitted driving from Devon to his Chipping Campden home at an average speed of 93 miles
> per hour. This included, by his own admission, stopping in that car-park known as Stroud.

In a recent article in the Sunday Thymes a test driver admitted to crashing an expensive car causing
£7000 worth of damage to it. The point of the article was to highlight the embarrassment she felt
when handing it back to the manufacturer post test, she commented that she had been on all kinds of
driving courses and had been trained to a high level. Fair enough had the crash occurred on a closed
track but in fact it happened on a public road in Italy when she encountered mud on the road when
cornering fast.

Kind of blows a hole in the argument put forth by a certain Mr. Scmidt implying that those who are
well trained can determine their own maximum speed.

Pete

news:[email protected]...
> In a brief moment of lucidity Tony W scribbled:
>
> > I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate in the local elections
> > (I have munged references to party as that is irrelevant the stupidity of the idea and to URC)
>
> <snip>
>
> > Surely there are many better points that we should be trying to get over regarding sustainable,
> > integrated transport systems; the health benefits of walking and cycling; the need to control
> > the car if it is not to strangle the freedom it is supposed to bring from our cities and
> > countryside; the desirability of reducing speed to reduce the toll of nearly 3000 dead on our
> > roads each year etc. etc.
>
> If you think so, then why not go on the show and do that, instead of whinging about it to no-one
> in particular.
>
> > Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain
> > dead petrol-heads.
>
> Nope, I see no problem in a 'bit of fun' .. ;)
>

> --

> Completed 1562 Seti work units in 11835 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

I'm looking forward to seeing it, I love cars, especially ones driven fast (and safe of course)!

But then, I am entitled to my opinion, as is everyone else.

--
Mark

In news:[email protected], Farmer Alfalfa <[email protected]> typed:
>> Heads up folks
>
> Did you *have* to?
>
> Far too many baseball references (and this one in particular) are

I didn't know it came from baseball (although this would make sense); always thought it was just a
general warning for those around to beware of an object dropped or thrown object from on high, where
there is risk of being *brained* by said object.

In this context myself (and many of my friends) consider it quite illogical; the word "up" may of
course make people look *up* (and thus into the path of the flying object they should be
*avoiding*). The "correct" shout (at least in the UK) is IMO just "Heads!" - which I certainly
remember from schooldays as a warning of an incoming flying object.

In my circle of friends, it was often uttered when rigging raves, sound systems etc esp lighting.

There was even a long discussion on rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft some years ago about this!

Incidentally what do cyclists (esp MTB'ers) on group rides normally say to warn their colleagues of
an oncoming overhead hazard (such as a branch)?

Alex

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate
in
> the local elections (I have munged references to party as that is
irrelevant
> the stupidity of the idea and to URC)
>
> "Request from Top Gear
>
> BBC 1 TOP GEAR is making a piece entitled "fastest political party". This will involve a candidate
> or elected representative of each of the three parties being given a rally-driving lesson at a
> track in Surrey, racing around the course and then filming a piece in the studio at a later date.
>
> They are looking for a Monster Raving Loony MP/councillor/MSP/AM/candidate who can handle a rally
> car and would be willing to participate. Please contact Andy Pandy in the Press Office if you're
> interested"
>
> My reply to our party hack was:-
>
> "Are we sure we want to encourage a bunch of mindless petrol-heads?
>
> Surely there are many better points that we should be trying to get over regarding sustainable,
> integrated transport systems; the health benefits
of
> walking and cycling; the need to control the car if it is not to strangle the freedom it is
> supposed to bring from our cities and countryside; the desirability of reducing speed to reduce
> the toll of nearly 3000 dead on
our
> roads each year etc. etc.
>
> Perhaps the MRL participant could demonstrate his/her contempt for the master plan by driving the
> course to be the safest and most economical driver??"
>
> Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain dead
> petrol-heads.

> Tony

Its only a bit of fun. Get a life

Neal

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate
in
> the local elections (I have munged references to party as that is
irrelevant
> the stupidity of the idea and to URC)
>
> "Request from Top Gear
>
> BBC 1 TOP GEAR is making a piece entitled "fastest political party". This will involve a candidate
> or elected representative of each of the three parties being given a rally-driving lesson at a
> track in Surrey, racing around the course and then filming a piece in the studio at a later date.
>
> They are looking for a Monster Raving Loony MP/councillor/MSP/AM/candidate who can handle a rally
> car and would be willing to participate. Please contact Andy Pandy in the Press Office if you're
> interested"
>
> My reply to our party hack was:-
>
> "Are we sure we want to encourage a bunch of mindless petrol-heads?
>
> Surely there are many better points that we should be trying to get over regarding sustainable,
> integrated transport systems; the health benefits
of
> walking and cycling; the need to control the car if it is not to strangle the freedom it is
> supposed to bring from our cities and countryside; the desirability of reducing speed to reduce
> the toll of nearly 3000 dead on
our
> roads each year etc. etc.
>
> Perhaps the MRL participant could demonstrate his/her contempt for the master plan by driving the
> course to be the safest and most economical driver??"
>
> Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain dead
> petrol-heads.

> Tony

Lighten up dude.

In message <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes
>I received the following a few minutes ago in my capacity as a candidate in the local elections (I
>have munged references to party as that is irrelevant the stupidity of the idea and to URC)
>
>"Request from Top Gear
>
>BBC 1 TOP GEAR is making a piece entitled "fastest political party". This will involve a candidate
>or elected representative of each of the three parties being given a rally-driving lesson at a
>track in Surrey, racing around the course and then filming a piece in the studio at a later date.
<Snip>
>Heads up folks -- be ready to protest to the BBC about such a mindless pandering to the brain dead
>petrol-heads.
That's the way to win votes - call car drivers 'brain dead'. How many brain dead people in your ward
are you hoping will vote for you? Good luck, with your attitude to a bit of fun you really need it.
--
DP

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> nterested"
>
> My reply to our party hack was:-
>
> "Are we sure we want to encourage a bunch of mindless petrol-heads?

But enough about Clarkson.... ;-)

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Incidentally what do cyclists (esp MTB'ers) on group rides normally say to warn their colleagues
> of an oncoming overhead hazard (such as a branch)?

When on a road bike in a group it's the done thing to point out pot holes, approaching cars etc.

When off-roading I'm normally fully occupied looking out for myself, if something happens to me
those following will be forewarned and either take avoiding action or if not quick enough suffer the
same fate. The SOP then is to laugh if the dismounted rider(s) is obviously ok.

Very rarely there is time to shout back a warning if the other rider is within earshot, for a low
branch the warning would be "BRANCH!", for tree stumps "STUMP!" etc but the most common warning
is "SHIITT!"

Pete

> "Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> Incidentally what do cyclists (esp MTB'ers) on group rides normally say to warn their colleagues
>> of an oncoming overhead hazard (such as a branch)?
>
> When on a road bike in a group it's the done thing to point out pot holes, approaching cars etc.

I recall a joke about the state of Reading's roads (it may have been Guy's joke)

Riders in most cycling clubs shout "HOLE!" when they see a pothole. In Reading, riders should
"ROAD!" when they see a decent bit of road in amongst the potholes :)

for tree stumps "STUMP!" etc but the most common warning is "SHIITT!"

As in avoiding the excrement deposited on the road by a dog or other animal species; or "Oh ****, I
am going to crash?"

Alex

> "Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Incidentally what do cyclists (esp MTB'ers) on group rides normally say to warn their colleagues
> > of an oncoming overhead hazard (such as a branch)?
>
> When on a road bike in a group it's the done thing to point out pot holes, approaching cars etc.

The first time I cycled with a group, on a holiday, it took me a good while to get used to the
terms used by some of the more regular group riders---mainly LCC/London CTC riders. "Oil up", "oil
down", they'd shout, though they then changed to the more obviously meaningful "car up" and "car
down". Eventually they realised that "car behind" and "car ahead", or just "CAR!", was more
understandable to most of the less regular riders---despite the easy to remember mnemonic, "down
yer throat, up yer bum!"

Colin

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:09:06 +0100, Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] scrawled: ) Incidentally
what do cyclists (esp MTB'ers) on group rides normally say to ) warn their colleagues of an oncoming
overhead hazard (such as a branch)?

Normally "Wagh! *bong* Watch out for that (distant *bong*)." Although in the vice-versa, when
cycling with my girlfriend she often hoots like an owl to let me know she's doing fine and I don't
have to turn round. I have yet to be caught out by a real owl.

J-P
--
"Originally patents were a bargain to protect a little man with a brilliant invention. Now they're
held by big corporates, and often extended beyond the lifetime of the product."

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Incidentally what do cyclists (esp MTB'ers) on group rides normally say to warn their colleagues
> of an oncoming overhead hazard (such as a branch)?

"Duck!"

F A

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:43:30 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
Jones) wrote:

>"Farmer Alfalfa" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Duck!"
>
>Chocolate?

I hate it when people get there before me! ;-)

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:26:44 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
Jones) wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> I hate it when people get there before me! ;-)
>
>You'll have to cycle faster, then.

At my weight?

James

--