BBC Website item - Penny Farthings on Sale

"jtaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Illegal to ride on the public roads in British Columbia.

How extra-ordinary .....
:)
Dan Gregory

---

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:57:27 -0300, "jtaylor"
<%[email protected]>:

>Illegal to ride on the public roads in British Columbia.

Does BC require a rear brake or merely two "independent braking
systems"? Most ordinaries have the latter (one being the rider's
feet, the other a spoon brake). If, as you suggest later, they
require a brake capable of locking the rear wheel, it can only be
because they are even more clueless than the average cager-led
political institution. I think we all know the relative importance of
front and rear brakes.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

I was thinking of riding "L'Eroica" next year (
http://www.parcociclisticodelchianti.it/eroicae.htm).
This could be just the bike I was looking for ;-))
Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

Mike K Smith wrote:
> Richard Bates wrote:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3752546.stm

> The news story says "The new ones being stocked by Hawks Cycles on
> London Road are replicas that have been updated to meet the standards
> expected of modern bikes."
>
> I wonder if they have to comply to BS 6102 (or whichever it is) as
> modern bikes do.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:46:06 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:11:53 +0100, Richard Bates
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3752546.stm

>That's not an Ordinary, it's just a front wheel drive fixie!

If it is a fixed gear and not some clever sun and planet arrangement,
it's going to be a mighty small one. The whole point of the high
wheeler was to get the largest gear possible for your leg length. They
were mean and dangerous racing machines. This thing appears to miss
the spirit of them completely.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:57:27 -0300, "jtaylor"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <%[email protected]>:
>
> >Illegal to ride on the public roads in British Columbia.

> Does BC require a rear brake or merely two "independent braking
> systems"? Most ordinaries have the latter (one being the rider's
> feet, the other a spoon brake). If, as you suggest later, they
> require a brake capable of locking the rear wheel, it can only be
> because they are even more clueless than the average cager-led
> political institution. I think we all know the relative importance of
> front and rear brakes.

At least one brake capable of skidding the wheel.

Therefore, no fixies or ordinaries.

They have a helmet law & a big fine for everyone.

The gravel beside a road's paved surface is part of the roadway and so "as
far to the right as practicable" means on the gravel.

"jtaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:57:27 -0300, "jtaylor"
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> <%[email protected]>:
>>
>> >Illegal to ride on the public roads in British Columbia.

>> Does BC require a rear brake or merely two "independent braking
>> systems"? Most ordinaries have the latter (one being the rider's
>> feet, the other a spoon brake). If, as you suggest later, they
>> require a brake capable of locking the rear wheel, it can only be
>> because they are even more clueless than the average cager-led
>> political institution. I think we all know the relative importance of
>> front and rear brakes.
>>

> At least one brake capable of skidding the wheel.

Surely capable of stopping the bike quickly would be better?

> Therefore, no fixies or ordinaries.

Oh dear.

> They have a helmet law & a big fine for everyone.

I take it the big fine is for everyone breaking the helmet law, rather than
simply "everyone"?

> The gravel beside a road's paved surface is part of the roadway and so "as
> far to the right as practicable" means on the gravel.

Sounds like hell to me.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 01:45:35 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If it is a fixed gear and not some clever sun and planet arrangement,
>it's going to be a mighty small one. The whole point of the high
>wheeler was to get the largest gear possible for your leg length. They
>were mean and dangerous racing machines. This thing appears to miss
>the spirit of them completely.

To be honest I'm struggling to see any point which it hasn't missed by
a significant margin :-/

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:17:40 -0300, "jtaylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Does BC require a rear brake or merely two "independent braking
>> systems"?

>At least one brake capable of skidding the wheel.
>Therefore, no fixies or ordinaries.

But you can skid the wheel easily with a fixie.

>They have a helmet law & a big fine for everyone.

I know. Pity it hasn't reduced injury rates. Although the next point
might easily explain that...

>The gravel beside a road's paved surface is part of the roadway and so "as
>far to the right as practicable" means on the gravel.

For differing values of "practicable" :) I would love to defend
"practicable" in court, backed by John Franklin or John Forrester.

But of course the BC laws are completely clear in their intent: "f**k
off out of our way you non-oil-burning scum."

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:28:11 +0100, Tony W wrote:
> "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3752546.stm

> Several German sources of such things
> http://www.velo-classic.de/
> http://www.classic-cycle.de

"CLASSIC PENNY FARTHINGS MADE TO ORDER":
http://www.inet-shibata.or.jp/~HSbicycles/
Photogallery at
http://www.inet-shibata.or.jp/~HSbicycles/homepagephotogallery.html

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://www.getffox.com/
Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://www.gettbird.com/

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:17:40 -0300, "jtaylor"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Does BC require a rear brake or merely two "independent braking
> >> systems"?

> >At least one brake capable of skidding the wheel.
> >Therefore, no fixies or ordinaries.

> But you can skid the wheel easily with a fixie.

Yes but you must have "a brake" - your legs won't do.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:00:45 -0300, "jtaylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes but you must have "a brake" - your legs won't do.

I understand. In the UK the wording allows for leg-type braking.

To require by law a rear brake capable of skidding the wheel is to
demonstrate a profound ignorance of cycling.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:00:45 -0300, "jtaylor"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Yes but you must have "a brake" - your legs won't do.

> I understand. In the UK the wording allows for leg-type braking.
>
> To require by law a rear brake capable of skidding the wheel is to
> demonstrate a profound ignorance of cycling.
>
> Guy

It just appears to require at least one wheel capable of skidding, which
could be the front. Not that skidding the front is much use either...

Monkey Hanger <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It just appears to require at least one wheel capable of skidding, which
> could be the front. Not that skidding the front is much use either...

Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
paving/straight line).

And it would be really fun trying to skid the front of an Ordinary.