BBC Website item - Penny Farthings on Sale

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:45:29 -0300, "jtaylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Monkey Hanger <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> It just appears to require at least one wheel capable of skidding, which
>> could be the front. Not that skidding the front is much use either...

>Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
>paving/straight line).
>
>And it would be really fun trying to skid the front of an Ordinary.

No it wouldn't, except for the spectators. But I suspect you already
know that.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

jtaylor wrote:
> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
> paving/straight line).

Although I've skidded the front on ice in an (almost) straight line. It
was interesting, the back kept trying to overtake.

R.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> To be honest I'm struggling to see any point which it hasn't missed by
> a significant margin :-/

I think that is the whole point "a significant margin" is what they'll be
getting for what looks like a cheaply made novelty designed to appeal to
those with a low sense to money ratio. Now a *real* Ordinary is a totally
different matter, I'd *love* one of those.

Graeme

jtaylor wrote:

> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
> paving/straight line).

Only for certain values of "bicycle", thobut. It's a piece of **** to lock
the front wheels on my Trice, for example.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:38:36 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
>> paving/straight line).

>Only for certain values of "bicycle", thobut. It's a piece of **** to lock
>the front wheels on my Trice, for example.

Exhibit A: Mr Burrows and his substantial display of road rash :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:38:36 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
>>> paving/straight line).

>> Only for certain values of "bicycle", thobut. It's a piece of ****
>> to lock the front wheels on my Trice, for example.

> Exhibit A: Mr Burrows and his substantial display of road rash :)

Thobut that didn't involve the use of brakes...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:01:33 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Exhibit A: Mr Burrows and his substantial display of road rash :)

>Thobut that didn't involve the use of brakes...

Except in the sense that the rear of another velocipede might be
considered as a brake, obv. True enough. The unusual steering
geometry may also have played a part :)

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Except in the sense that the rear of another velocipede might be
> considered as a brake, obv.

Not in Certain Parts of Canuckistan, though.

Which, I believe, is where we came in.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>jtaylor wrote:
>
>> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
>> paving/straight line).

>Only for certain values of "bicycle", thobut. It's a piece of **** to lock
>the front wheels on my Trice, for example.

Most, if not all values of bicycle, include human propelled vehicles
with two wheels, thobut.

Go and look at your trice and report back.

Tim, locked the frontwheel of my Oke Ja.

jtaylor [email protected] opined the following...
> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
> paving/straight line).

I have a feeling that this is not true, but I'm not sure I have the
confidence in my bike handling skills to test it. Presumably he means
that the traction will cause the bike to rotate over the front wheel and
deposit the rider.

I'm reasonably confident that my soon to be acquired replacement V-
brakes for the recumbent will probably allow the required level of
stopping power!

> And it would be really fun trying to skid the front of an Ordinary.

For differing values of "fun". ;-)

Jon

Tim Hall wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:38:36 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> jtaylor wrote:
>>
>>> Jobst's entry in the faq says you cannot skid the front (on dry
>>> paving/straight line).

>> Only for certain values of "bicycle", thobut. It's a piece of ****
>> to lock the front wheels on my Trice, for example.

> Most, if not all values of bicycle, include human propelled vehicles
> with two wheels, thobut.

That's why I put "bicycle" in "quotes". Brand scarcely recognises the
existence of the Dark Side...

> Go and look at your trice and report back.

Twelvety...

I suspect that sliding the front wheel of the Baron may be possible but
having spent altogether too long rolled up in a ball swearing this year, I
am not about to test it. Even more so on something like a NoCom, whereupon
I reckon the c.o.g. is somewhere below the front axle...

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

> Most, if not all values of bicycle, include human propelled vehicles
> with two wheels, thobut.

The cycle racing on highways regulations explicitly state that races
or trials of speed between tricycles are termed "bicycle races"

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Most, if not all values of bicycle, include human propelled vehicles
> > with two wheels, thobut.

> The cycle racing on highways regulations explicitly state that races
> or trials of speed between tricycles are termed "bicycle races"

British Columbia defines a bicycle as a amchine with any number of wheels
propelled by human power.

Hence unicycles are illegal on the public roads as they are required to have
a brake capable of skidding the wheel.

I though it would be interesting to build a tracked human powered vehicle -
two circular tracks, perhaps made of those solid "green tires", with rollers
pinned into a the walls of heavy rims.

"Helmet, officer?"

jtaylor wrote:
> British Columbia defines a bicycle as a amchine with any number of wheels
> propelled by human power.
>
> Hence unicycles are illegal on the public roads as they are required to have
> a brake capable of skidding the wheel.

I have skidded unicycle wheels on a number of occasions, usually by
turning sharply at speed.

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jtaylor wrote:
> > British Columbia defines a bicycle as a amchine with any number of

wheels
> > propelled by human power.
> >
> > Hence unicycles are illegal on the public roads as they are required to

have
> > a brake capable of skidding the wheel.

> I have skidded unicycle wheels on a number of occasions, usually by
> turning sharply at speed.

Good for you. Did you use the brake to do this?

I wrote:
>>I have skidded unicycle wheels on a number of occasions, usually by
>>turning sharply at speed.

and jtaylor responded:
> Good for you. Did you use the brake to do this?

I used my legs, which on a fixed wheel constitute a brake.