BBC's 'How to beat congestion charge' item

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rich, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
    s.stm
    - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles have a
    'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?

    Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
    although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
    least ;-).

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Rich wrote:
    > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
    > s.stm
    > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles have
    > a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?
    >
    > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
    > although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
    > least ;-).
    >
    > Rich

    No way jose, I reckon running costs are no more than 10 pounds per month.

    Daniel.

  3. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exem ption s.stm
    > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles have
    > a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?

    And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread, but
    I'm simply pointing out that legally you don't.)

    I emailed my comments to [email protected] .

    Toby

  4. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Rich <[email protected]> said:

    > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
    > although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
    > least ;-).

    I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a recommendation either... :)

    Regards,

    -david

  5. Ben Tansley

    Ben Tansley Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
    > s.stm
    > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did
    we
    > know that cycles have a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure'
    than
    > cars?

    They've removed the insurance claim now. Wish we'd been able to correct other myths. Even the £4
    puncture kit's still there.

    Ben

  6. Toby Barrett wrote: <snip>

    > And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread, but
    > I'm simply pointing out that legally you don't.)
    >
    > I emailed my comments to [email protected] .
    >
    > Toby

    Yes but a mate of mine had an accident where he would have killed himself had he not been
    wearing one! ;)

    Daniel.

  7. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Rich wrote:
    > > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on
    their
    > > news web site at

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
    > > s.stm
    > > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles.
    Did we
    > > know that cycles have a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure'
    than
    > > cars?
    > >
    > > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good
    breakfast
    > > seemed fair enough although I think it's more than that - the price of
    three
    > > good meals and snacks in between at least ;-).
    > >
    > > Rich
    >
    > No way jose, I reckon running costs are no more than 10 pounds per month.

    Yeah, what insurance? I was paying £1000 a year on a VR6. And that was with 5 years no claim. I
    could just get a new bike for that every year.

    I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)

    They also missed out registering your car as an ambulance, by putting in a stretcher and first aid
    kit when registering it as one.

  8. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exem ption s.stm
    > > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles
    > > have a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?
    >
    > And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread, but
    > I'm simply pointing out that legally you
    don't.)

    It occured to me that they've got some items in the bicycle column which should be in the
    motorcycle column:

    Helmets; legal requirement for motorcycle. Optional for pedal cycle. Insurance; sometimes higher for
    a motorcycle than for a car, particularly for a new rider with no experience on a powerful machine.
    However, its often cheaper unless riding a rocket-racing machine.

    > I emailed my comments to [email protected] .

    I filled in the factual feedback form.

    NC (car, motorbike, pedal cycle).

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rich <[email protected]> said:
    > >
    > > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good
    breakfast
    > > seemed fair enough although I think it's more than that - the price of
    three
    > > good meals and snacks in between at least ;-).
    >
    > I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a
    recommendation
    > either... :)

    Yeah -- but can you imagine being the poor bastard SMIDSY that cuts J Paxo up?

    I put it to you SMIDSY that you were not looking!!

    Repeat ad nauseam :)

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:37:44 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a recommendation either... :)

    I bet her dad rides a bike, though :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Daniel Wilcox wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >>
    >> Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
    >> although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
    >> least ;-).
    >>
    >> Rich
    >
    > No way jose, I reckon running costs are no more than 10 pounds per month.
    >
    > Daniel.

    Is that 10lbs or £10 ;-)?

    Rich

  12. Rory

    Rory Guest

    David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rich <[email protected]> said:
    > >
    > > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
    > > although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
    > > least ;-).
    >
    > I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a recommendation either... :)

    I dunno, and since when is "You get hot & sweaty (& wet)" a con?

  13. John B

    John B Guest

    Daniel Wilcox wrote:

    > Toby Barrett wrote: <snip>
    > >
    > > And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread,
    > > but I'm simply pointing out that legally you don't.)
    > >
    > > I emailed my comments to [email protected] .
    > >
    > > Toby
    > >

    > Yes but a mate of mine had an accident where he would have killed himself had he not been
    > wearing one! ;)

    That's not the bloke who didn't duck as he drove under the rear of an artic was it ;-)

    John B

  14. Rory

    Rory Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I dunno, and since when is "You get hot & sweaty (& wet)" a con?
    > >

    > Well it sort of depends where, when & with whom, really.
    From the context: on a bike, at rush hour, with Zoe Ball

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    >> From the context: on a bike, at rush hour, with Zoe Ball
    > Oh - wrong gender for me to enjoy getting hot, sweaty & wet with :)

    But imagine the fun we could all have had watching....

    (goes away to wash mind out with soap & water)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  16. Alan Collier

    Alan Collier Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:36:05 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
    >I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)

    I thought the papers are telling us that Zoe *is* a bi <fx: Alan get hauled away from his keyboard
    by the libel lawyers before he can finish typing

  17. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Alan Collier <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:36:05 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
    > >I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)
    >
    > I thought the papers are telling us that Zoe *is* a bi <fx: Alan get hauled away from his keyboard
    > by the libel lawyers before he can finish typing>

    She's bi? This thread only gets better....

  18. Alan Collier

    Alan Collier Guest

    On 29 Jan 2003 02:15:48 -0800, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

    >Alan Collier <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:36:05 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
    >> >I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)
    >>
    >> I thought the papers are telling us that Zoe *is* a bi <fx: Alan get hauled away from his
    >> keyboard by the libel lawyers before he can finish typing>
    >
    >She's bi? This thread only gets better....

    The correct end of the stick is over there ----->

    I didn't get to finish what I was typing because the lawyers wouldn't let me...

    Alan

  19. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Alan Collier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >She's bi? This thread only gets better....
    >
    > The correct end of the stick is over there ----->
    >
    > I didn't get to finish what I was typing because the lawyers wouldn't let me...

    I would have thought that in today's liberal climate one is more likely to be sued for describing
    someone as a bicyclist than as a bisexual. The former is, of course, seriously perverse :)