BBC's 'How to beat congestion charge' item

Rich

Guest
The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
s.stm
- they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles have a
'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?

Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
least ;-).

Rich

Rich wrote:
> The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
> s.stm
> - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles have
> a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?
>
> Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
> although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
> least ;-).
>
> Rich

No way jose, I reckon running costs are no more than 10 pounds per month.

Daniel.

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exem ption s.stm
> - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles have
> a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?

And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread, but
I'm simply pointing out that legally you don't.)

I emailed my comments to [email protected] .

Toby

Rich <[email protected]> said:

> Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
> although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
> least ;-).

I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a recommendation either... :)

Regards,

-david

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
> s.stm
> - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did
we
> know that cycles have a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure'
than
> cars?

They've removed the insurance claim now. Wish we'd been able to correct other myths. Even the £4
puncture kit's still there.

Ben

Toby Barrett wrote: <snip>

> And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread, but
> I'm simply pointing out that legally you don't.)
>
> I emailed my comments to [email protected] .
>
> Toby

Yes but a mate of mine had an accident where he would have killed himself had he not been
wearing one! ;)

Daniel.

"Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Rich wrote:
> > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on
their
> > news web site at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exemption
> > s.stm
> > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles.
Did we
> > know that cycles have a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure'
than
> > cars?
> >
> > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good
breakfast
> > seemed fair enough although I think it's more than that - the price of
three
> > good meals and snacks in between at least ;-).
> >
> > Rich
>
> No way jose, I reckon running costs are no more than 10 pounds per month.

Yeah, what insurance? I was paying £1000 a year on a VR6. And that was with 5 years no claim. I
could just get a new bike for that every year.

I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)

They also missed out registering your car as an ambulance, by putting in a stretcher and first aid
kit when registering it as one.

"Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> > The Beeb's put up an item about how to beat the congestion charge on their news web site at
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/congestion_charge/html/exem ption s.stm
> > - they list the exempt vehicles with pros and cons including cycles. Did we know that cycles
> > have a 'high accident rate' and 'cost more to insure' than cars?
>
> And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread, but
> I'm simply pointing out that legally you
don't.)

It occured to me that they've got some items in the bicycle column which should be in the
motorcycle column:

Helmets; legal requirement for motorcycle. Optional for pedal cycle. Insurance; sometimes higher for
a motorcycle than for a car, particularly for a new rider with no experience on a powerful machine.
However, its often cheaper unless riding a rocket-racing machine.

> I emailed my comments to [email protected] .

I filled in the factual feedback form.

NC (car, motorbike, pedal cycle).

"David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rich <[email protected]> said:
> >
> > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good
breakfast
> > seemed fair enough although I think it's more than that - the price of
three
> > good meals and snacks in between at least ;-).
>
> I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a
recommendation
> either... :)

Yeah -- but can you imagine being the poor ******* SMIDSY that cuts J Paxo up?

I put it to you SMIDSY that you were not looking!!

Repeat ad nauseam :)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:37:44 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a recommendation either... :)

I bet her dad rides a bike, though :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Daniel Wilcox wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>>
>> Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
>> although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
>> least ;-).
>>
>> Rich
>
> No way jose, I reckon running costs are no more than 10 pounds per month.
>
> Daniel.

Is that 10lbs or £10 ;-)?

Rich

David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Rich <[email protected]> said:
> >
> > Mind you, the bit about running costs being the price of a good breakfast seemed fair enough
> > although I think it's more than that - the price of three good meals and snacks in between at
> > least ;-).
>
> I'm not sure listing Zoe Ball as a typical user is much of a recommendation either... :)

I dunno, and since when is "You get hot & sweaty (& wet)" a con?

Daniel Wilcox wrote:

> Toby Barrett wrote: <snip>
> >
> > And that you have to by a "crash helmet" to ride one? (I don't mean to start a helmet thread,
> > but I'm simply pointing out that legally you don't.)
> >
> > I emailed my comments to [email protected] .
> >
> > Toby
> >

> Yes but a mate of mine had an accident where he would have killed himself had he not been
> wearing one! ;)

That's not the bloke who didn't duck as he drove under the rear of an artic was it ;-)

John B

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >I dunno, and since when is "You get hot & sweaty (& wet)" a con?
> >

> Well it sort of depends where, when & with whom, really.
From the context: on a bike, at rush hour, with Zoe Ball

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

>> From the context: on a bike, at rush hour, with Zoe Ball
> Oh - wrong gender for me to enjoy getting hot, sweaty & wet with :)

But imagine the fun we could all have had watching....

(goes away to wash mind out with soap & water)

--
Guy
===

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:36:05 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
>I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)

I thought the papers are telling us that Zoe *is* a bi <fx: Alan get hauled away from his keyboard
by the libel lawyers before he can finish typing

Alan Collier <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:36:05 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
> >I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)
>
> I thought the papers are telling us that Zoe *is* a bi <fx: Alan get hauled away from his keyboard
> by the libel lawyers before he can finish typing>

She's bi? This thread only gets better....

On 29 Jan 2003 02:15:48 -0800, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

>Alan Collier <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:36:05 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
>> >I reckon Jamie Oliver on a scooter is more at risk of an 'accident' than Zoe Ball on a bike. ;)
>>
>> I thought the papers are telling us that Zoe *is* a bi <fx: Alan get hauled away from his
>> keyboard by the libel lawyers before he can finish typing>
>
>She's bi? This thread only gets better....

The correct end of the stick is over there ----->

I didn't get to finish what I was typing because the lawyers wouldn't let me...

Alan

"Alan Collier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >She's bi? This thread only gets better....
>
> The correct end of the stick is over there ----->
>
> I didn't get to finish what I was typing because the lawyers wouldn't let me...

I would have thought that in today's liberal climate one is more likely to be sued for describing
someone as a bicyclist than as a bisexual. The former is, of course, seriously perverse :)