BBN/HCC Yarra Boule TT report

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    7am, 6 degrees, ride the tandem to the boule', meet up with a few
    others along the way also riding in to do it. The tandem on my own,
    is a barge, I'm glad it has a triple, although I didn't use it up the
    hills on Whitehorse Rd, it was good to know it was there if necessary.

    Arrive at the ITT, meet up with Rob, my stoker for the TT, we set up
    the tandem stoker seat for him and enter ($10 for the team! that's
    half price each, and twice the fun!). We do a practice run, it's a
    barge, it's a truck ... it's a Big Blue Bus!

    ITT time, and we go pretty hard, not a great time, but we only get
    caught by one rider, on a hilly course on a great big heavy
    bargebike. It's a handfull, on the descents it drops like a missile,
    on the flats .. we don't know, the boule has no flats, and up
    hills ... urgh! We managed to get around the turnaround at the
    roundabout without having to get off it. 19:43 for the 12 or so k.
    Tom Leaper wins it, Jono Lovelock wins the juniors(!), Bridie
    O'Donnell wins the women (by 5 minutes!). Not a big turnout, but I
    think it'll grow. BBN/HCC have the results within 15 mins of the end
    of the trials to the amazement of the few who raced the DB Tour and
    the last 1:20 ITT that BBN ran.

    We won our class - first tandem (also, last tandem and only
    tandem ...).
     
    Tags:


  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Likes Received:
    189
    Nice work. It conflicted with the ATTA time trial at Steels Creek... 12kms vs 33kms... give me 33 any day, hilly or flat! I should be there next time for some hilly pain.

    cheers,
    lama
     
  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 1:22 pm, gplama <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >
    > > Not a big turnout, but I
    > > think it'll grow. BBN/HCC have the results within 15 mins of the end
    > > of the trials to the amazement of the few who raced the DB Tour and
    > > the last 1:20 ITT that BBN ran.

    >
    > > We won our class - first tandem (also, last tandem and only
    > > tandem ...).

    >
    > Nice work. It conflicted with the ATTA time trial at Steels Creek...
    > 12kms vs 33kms... give me 33 any day, hilly or flat! I should be there
    > next time for some hilly pain.


    heh!

    Jaywoo came to DISC on Sunday arvo, and drilled us all new orifices.
    Wow, he's strong these days...
     
  4. just us

    just us Guest

    LOLl Bleve - very hard to ride in with folks on singles when you are on a
    tandem isnt it? We have never ridden with another tandem, but leave our
    mates for dead on the downhills and the flats. Bugger is they catch us on
    the uphills! Riding on your own is not so much fun - been there done that
    and I got heckled from the traffic who thought it was the funniest thing
    they had ever seen I am sure. Good to see someone using a tandem.
    Kathy
     
  5. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    0

    As long as you are putting your 100%, then the training isn't wasted I reckon. $10 well spent. Didn't you gain the most laps Bleve? Twoz great to be back bangin' it out on the boards:) Just got the shift change here at work so I should be racing Thursday night, YAY!

    Jay "DISC, the most under utilised awesome hunk of wood around" Woo
     
  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 2:24 pm, JayWoo <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Jun 4, 1:22 pm, gplama <[email protected]
    > > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > > > Bleve Wrote:

    >
    > > > > Not a big turnout, but I
    > > > > think it'll grow. BBN/HCC have the results within 15 mins of the

    > > end
    > > > > of the trials to the amazement of the few who raced the DB Tour and
    > > > > the last 1:20 ITT that BBN ran.

    >
    > > > > We won our class - first tandem (also, last tandem and only
    > > > > tandem ...).

    >
    > > > Nice work. It conflicted with the ATTA time trial at Steels Creek...
    > > > 12kms vs 33kms... give me 33 any day, hilly or flat! I should be

    > > there
    > > > next time for some hilly pain.

    >
    > > heh!

    >
    > > Jaywoo came to DISC on Sunday arvo, and drilled us all new orifices.
    > > Wow, he's strong these days...

    >
    > As long as you are putting your 100%, then the training isn't wasted I
    > reckon. $10 well spent. Didn't you gain the most laps Bleve?



    Yes, but I only took one solo, the rest were with help. All yours
    were solo - in my feeble defence I had done 5 flying 100's and a 20
    minute E3 (the boule!) already, but even if fresh, when you came past,
    I doubt I'd have been able to latch on. You were flying ... the boards
    were burnt ...


    Twoz great
    > to be back bangin' it out on the boards:) Just got the shift change here
    > at work so I should be racing Thursday night, YAY!


    w00t!

    B grade for you, at least ...

    > Jay "DISC, the most under utilised awesome hunk of wood around" Woo


    Isn't it a disgrace, how little it gets used? Track riders are a
    bunch of sooks and whingers!
     
  7. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 2:24 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > LOLl Bleve - very hard to ride in with folks on singles when you are on a
    > tandem isnt it?


    I found it ok, on my own on it. They all need to know to give you a
    lot of room though. They are fairly slow to respond and two-up I'm
    yet to master starting and stopping. There's lots of good howto's on
    the 'net, just need the time to play around with it more and practice
    the technique.


    We have never ridden with another tandem, but leave our
    > mates for dead on the downhills and the flats. Bugger is they catch us on
    > the uphills! Riding on your own is not so much fun - been there done that
    > and I got heckled from the traffic who thought it was the funniest thing
    > they had ever seen I am sure.


    Yeah, that gets old pretty quickly :) But, they *do* look funny ridden
    solo, to be fair.

    Mine's a Trek (what a surprise ...) T1000 :

    http://www2.trekbikes.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&product_id=17&category_id=3&subcategory_id=33

    I need to get it a setback seatpost, even with the seat all the way
    back it's too far forward and it feels like I'm on my trackbike :)
     
  8. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm hoping they will let me in A for maximum hurt!





    Or, it's the best kept secret;)

    Jay "Wasn't this a thread on TTing the Boule?!:D" Woo
     
  9. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Likes Received:
    0
    can you quantify "how little", cos I am really curious as to what constitutes "enough" in your terms. It gets used every night of the week for racing and/or training, plus regular gigs Saturdays & Sunday mornings. I would have thought that reasonable for a minority subset of a minority sport.
     
  10. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 3:45 pm, warrwych <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >
    > > O

    >
    > > Isn't it a disgrace, how little it gets used? Track riders are a
    > > bunch of sooks and whingers!

    >
    > can you quantify "how little", cos I am really curious as to what
    > constitutes "enough" in your terms. It gets used every night of the
    > week for racing and/or training, plus regular gigs Saturdays & Sunday
    > mornings. I would have thought that reasonable for a minority subset
    > of a minority sport.


    They're easy to smoke out, too :)
     
  11. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    0
    Spose I was coming more from a cyclist perspective. I've found it not only buckets of fun, but a great way to mix up my training. Last winter on any given Sunday Masters training sesh, there was anywhere between 2 to 10 with the norm being 6ish. I guess me thinking it great doesn't mean others do. As I said, best kept secret:D
    Though I do think the time table is a bit whack too with all the "DISC AVAILABLE FOR CONTRACTED HIRE" over the weekend. Most people work during the week and I would have thought find it hard to use it during the 9-5 week day "CASUAL USERS" block.

    http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/DISC/DISCavailabilty.htm
     
  12. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 4:18 pm, JayWoo <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > warrwych Wrote:
    >
    > > can you quantify "how little", cos I am really curious as to what
    > > constitutes "enough" in your terms. It gets used every night of the
    > > week for racing and/or training, plus regular gigs Saturdays & Sunday
    > > mornings. I would have thought that reasonable for a minority subset of
    > > a minority sport.

    >
    > Spose I was coming more from a cyclist perspective. I've found it not
    > only buckets of fun, but a great way to mix up my training. Last winter
    > on any given Sunday Masters training sesh, there was anywhere between 2
    > to 10 with the norm being 6ish. I guess me thinking it great doesn't
    > mean others do. As I said, best kept secret:D
    > Though I do think the time table is a bit whack too with all the "DISC
    > AVAILABLE FOR CONTRACTED HIRE" over the weekend.



    If you want to use it on w'ends, let me know, I have access (I took
    the time to organise access, and permission to use the motorbike).
    It's $50 p/h for up to 10 riders, then an extra $5 per rider per
    hour. An extra $20 p/h for the lights (I think this is good, it
    makes you think twice about the energy you're using, and during the
    day you don't need them anyway). I can be convinced to open it at
    "odd" hours if given sufficient notice, as can many other coaches who
    have organised access passes and such. Simon Quick has access, so does
    Stu Vaughan, Liz Randall etc. Liz isn't a coach, but she has access
    anyway, I'm not sure how that works, maybe you don't even need to be a
    coach to get the pass? Most of the Melbourne clubs have access, as
    far as I know, in some form or other and it's not that hard to find
    someone prepared to open it up for you. Steve Peterson(?) at CSV is
    very helpful.
     
  13. On Jun 4, 12:15 pm, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
    > We won our class - first tandem (also, last tandem and only
    > tandem ...).


    Hi Bleve, I raced a tandem at the Steels Creek TT on the same day and
    my mates raced another, we got 3rd and 4th for the 16km course (http://
    www.atta.asn.au/results/results2_7k/vic6_07.html). Next event is a
    team time trial, fancy 3 tandems in a team...?
     
  14. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    0
    Cool. Thanks for the 'heads up'.
     
  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:41:44 -0700, Bleve wrote:

    > Yeah, that gets old pretty quickly :) But, they *do* look funny ridden
    > solo, to be fair.


    For true style points you need to tie ropes to the handlebars and ride
    from the back seat. Or sit on the front seat and bunnyhop one.

    Dave - who has done both, as well as holding the handlebars and using the
    back pedals.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    You're a classic example of that inverse
    ratio between the size of the mouth and the
    size of the brain - Doctor Who
     
  16. just us

    just us Guest

    Photo of our trusty old Burley. The history of it is that a couple of
    Americans came to Australia with it new way back when.( I think it must be
    going on at least 18yrs old if not more) They rode it from Sydney to Cairns,
    then my brother bought it off them. We inherited it when Bro went overseas,
    he has since spent a mint on a new one and thinks the old Burley is now crap
    lol. We have had many a moment on the old girl, from Touring to Cooktown, to
    riding to Karumba and long hauls all over Far north Qld - she is a beast :)
    http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?srv=img01&img=/8/6/4/f_DSCN2262m_9287096.jpg
    Kathy
     
  17. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 6:37 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:41:44 -0700, Bleve wrote:
    > > Yeah, that gets old pretty quickly :) But, they *do* look funny ridden
    > > solo, to be fair.

    >
    > For true style points you need to tie ropes to the handlebars and ride
    > from the back seat. Or sit on the front seat and bunnyhop one.


    That would be entertaining! Requiring of flat, quiet roads ... not
    many around here!

    >
    > Dave - who has done both, as well as holding the handlebars and using the
    > back pedals.


    heh! Superman. Where is Obree when you need him?
     
  18. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    Bleve,

    Do you know what the session marked VIS/BBN is?
     
  19. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Jun 4, 2:24 pm, JayWoo <[email protected]
    > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    >> Bleve Wrote:

    >
    > Yes, but I only took one solo, the rest were with help. All yours
    > were solo - in my feeble defence I had done 5 flying 100's and a 20
    > minute E3 (the boule!) already, but even if fresh, when you came past,
    > I doubt I'd have been able to latch on. You were flying ... the boards
    > were burnt ...
    >


    I was planning on getting along to the Masters session on Sunday to get back
    in the swing of things before hopefully making it for a race on Thursday
    Night this week but something else came up at the last minute.

    Regarding the Masters Training Session:

    1. Does it go for the full 3 hours?
    2. How many usually show up?
    3. How is the session usually structured?

    Cheers,

    Gags
     
  20. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Jun 4, 9:41 pm, "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > On Jun 4, 2:24 pm, JayWoo <[email protected]
    > > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > >> Bleve Wrote:

    >
    > > Yes, but I only took one solo, the rest were with help. All yours
    > > were solo - in my feeble defence I had done 5 flying 100's and a 20
    > > minute E3 (the boule!) already, but even if fresh, when you came past,
    > > I doubt I'd have been able to latch on. You were flying ... the boards
    > > were burnt ...

    >
    > I was planning on getting along to the Masters session on Sunday to get back
    > in the swing of things before hopefully making it for a race on Thursday
    > Night this week but something else came up at the last minute.
    >
    > Regarding the Masters Training Session:
    >
    > 1. Does it go for the full 3 hours?


    yes

    > 2. How many usually show up?


    I've been going for ~6 weeks, top attendance was 12, worst was 2

    > 3. How is the session usually structured?


    warmup, some sprint stuff, a 'kieren', a 50 lap 'take a lap when you
    can' ride, and a warmdown, is
    what we did this sunday.
    You can, within reason do your own thing if you have your own plan, or
    you can mix it in with the rest - I do a bit of both.
     
Loading...
Loading...