Bbright to square taper adapter

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BILLYHOLMES, Sep 30, 2017.

1. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

Doe anyone know if there is a good BBright to Square Taper adapter for my Cervelo S3?
    Bill.

Tags:

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

No, but I have to ask...why?

You called Wheels Manufacturing and Praxis Works already, I assume.

3. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

No, I haven't
    No Bob but I will tomorrow - thanks!!! The reason why I need this is because that my cranks need to be 115mm long and the only cranks you can cut down to make that short are square taper variety
    Bill.

4. CAMPYBOB

Wow...that's short! Setting up a bike for a child?

Praxis or Wheels might have some ideas. Good luck!

5. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

Thanks Bob for the info. Actually the cranks are for me! My knee won't bend more that 85 deg due to an injury years ago and consequent knee (and hip) replacements so the only way I can get over the 12 o'clock point is to make the cranks shorter. That said, I still ride 150 - 200 miles a week (on my other bike) and have an FTP of 250 Watts and can hold my own with the local group!

CAMPYBOB likes this.
  6. CAMPYBOB

Nice work, Billy! Stay at it!

I have a friend. Two years ago he and a car decided to occupy the same space at the same time. The ensuing 80+ MPH contact shattered his pelvis and shattered leg in 12 places.

He got on his trainer...months later, after the external hip halo was removed...and had to use a crankset designed for single speed pump track BMX bike. I think it was 140 MM. Same reason you need short ones...no range of motion in his destroyed leg.

He was a Cat. 3 racer prior to the crash and was determined to come back. He trained hard! Eventually he moved up to 165 MM track cranks and finally to his 170 and 172.5 standard road cranks.

Any chance of you regaining any more knee angle?

BTW, I had polio and my right leg is partially (and permanently) paralyzed since the age of 2. I'm able to use 172.5 cranks, but due to a leg length difference I have 6MM worth of BikeFit shims sandwiched in between the cleat and shoe of my shorter leg. I probably could add another 3 MM shim, but I look weird enough on a bike as is! LOL!

7. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

Awesome and inspiring stories Bob - well done to you for sure. I'm stuck with the poor knee bend, I tried and tried but the darn thing won't give a degree! Two surgeon have told me they can't help as there was so much damage done to that knee back in 72 when I crashed. However, I'm lucky that I can ride and for that I'm grateful - I just want my Cervelo back! I did have a fix for it (it was always problematical) but would you believe it I snapped the bottom bracket axle so that's IMG_5567.JPG why I'm looking around!

Attached Files:

8. CAMPYBOB

What brand of axle and diameter is that, Billy?

Just a thought. The modern era carbon fiber crank arms are hollow. VERY hollow.

I would think any of the carbon repair shops on the web could cut down a Campy or such style crank and bond it back together with a solid carbon filling...somewhat heavier, of course, but probably stronger and safer than an OEM arm. That would allow you to use whatever BB your Cevelo called for.

I never snapped a Campy square taper spindle, but there are dozen of pics on the web of them snapped at the taper (like yours) and thru the heavily stamped lettering info in the middle.

I did snap a Campy Record alloy crank arm back in the 1980's. Not fun!

9. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

The diameter is 24mm Bob, it was custom made for me however, it was always problematical - I need a better solution. Thanks for your guidance, I had a reply from Zinn who said they might be able to make me a set of cranks, so now I'm happy.
    Thanks again for taking the time sir,
    Best Regards,
    Billy.

10. CAMPYBOB

Good luck! I had forgotten all about Leonard Zinn making custom parts!