Bbright To Square Taper Bottom Bracket

BILLYHOLMES

Oct 27, 2005
I have a knee problem that won't allow my knee to bend more than 85 deg consequentialy I've been riding quite successfully for the last four years on 115mm long cranks. These were made for me and are of the square taper type that use the normal bottom bracket however, I've now decided to buy a new bike but the model I'm looking at has a BBright BB. I've asked the guy who made my cranks (cut down Andels) if he could make me a new pair to fit the BBright set up however, it seems that's impossible as all other cranks are hollow so we are stuck with the square taper Andels. So my question is, does anyone make a BBRight to square taper adapter....? Or, does anyone know anyone who could make me a set of cranks that'll fit. I've spoken to PowerCranks and they do make a set but they have that clutch mech in them so that means the cranks aren't connected, ie, you have to lift up the pedal on the back stroke as the other crank isn't conntected to bring it up in the conventional manner. Great idea for training but Im not interested in that option as I'm handicapped enough with the shot cranks!!
Any help would be appreciated,
Bill

Yeah, there just isn't any kind of room for a frame built for press-fit to accommodate threaded cups.

BILLYHOLMES said:
I have a knee problem that won't allow my knee to bend more than 85 deg consequentialy I've been riding quite successfully for the last four years on 115mm long cranks. These were made for me and are of the square taper type that use the normal bottom bracket however, I've now decided to buy a new bike but the model I'm looking at has a BBright BB. I've asked the guy who made my cranks (cut down Andels) if he could make me a new pair to fit the BBright set up however, it seems that's impossible as all other cranks are hollow so we are stuck with the square taper Andels. So my question is, does anyone make a BBRight to square taper adapter....? Or, does anyone know anyone who could make me a set of cranks that'll fit. I've spoken to PowerCranks and they do make a set but they have that clutch mech in them so that means the cranks aren't connected, ie, you have to lift up the pedal on the back stroke as the other crank isn't conntected to bring it up in the conventional manner. Great idea for training but Im not interested in that option as I'm handicapped enough with the shot cranks!!
Any help would be appreciated,
Bill
Not all new cranksets have hollow crankarms ...

So, a clever bike shop can modify a pair of off-the-shelf cranks to have a shorter effective crank arm length by drilling new pedal holes & either taping them or inserting impossible to find helicoils ...

Regardless, I have two immediate questions:

1. Why do you feel a need for a new frameset?
  2. Why do you feel a need to buy the particular frameset which uses an obsolete-except-for-Cannondale-bikes BB30 (?) Bottom Bracket?

alfeng said:
Not all new cranksets have hollow crankarms ...

So, a clever bike shop can modify a pair of off-the-shelf cranks to have a shorter effective crank arm length by drilling new pedal holes & either taping them or inserting impossible to find helicoils ...

Regardless, I have two immediate questions:

1. Why do you feel a need for a new frameset?
  2. Why do you feel a need to buy the particular frameset which uses an obsolete-except-for-Cannondale-bikes BB30 (?) Bottom Bracket?
Thanks, in answer to your questions,
1. I need a new bike as I've worn my current bike out!
2. I can get a great deal on the Cervelo and anyway, most frame manufacturers are going for press fit BB's now - the taper it seems is considered not as good.

I do have someone who will cut, re-drill and tap cranks however, I can't find any 'solid cranks' that would allow this modification that would be compatible with the BBright system - its driving me bananas.
Thanks,
Bill

BILLYHOLMES said:
I do have someone who will cut, re-drill and tap cranks however, I can't find any 'solid cranks' that would allow this modification that would be compatible with the BBright system - its driving me bananas.
Thanks,
Bill
Lennard Zinn, in Boulder, Colorado, might be able to help. Here's his custom crank webpage: http://zinncycles.com/Zinn/index.php/custom-cranks.

Good luck Billy.

Reactions: BILLYHOLMES
BILLYHOLMES said:
Thanks, in answer to your questions,
1. I need a new bike as I've worn my current bike out!
2. I can get a great deal on the Cervelo and anyway, most frame manufacturers are going for press fit BB's now - the taper it seems is considered not as good.

Thanks,
Bill
FWIW. While it is certainly possible to wear out a bike frame, is THAT what you are referring to OR do you mean the replaceable components are worn out (e.g., shifters, chainrings, brake pads, etc.)?!?

It's not that there is anything wrong with buying a new bike/-frame ... but, if you have specific needs, then ...

Well, if you insist on a frame which has press fit bearings (a friend of mine was pretty excited about a carbon fiber CX frame which I think has a BB30 shell which he had built up with some SRAM Red components a few years ago ... other than being about a pound-and-a-half lighter than his older Kestrel with Octalink generation Dura Ace components, he's not as keen on the combination now as he was when reading the specs & reviews & he is finally ready to pony up for Campagnolo components!!!) let me suggest that you consider a frame which uses the BB86 "standard" (there are OTHER press fit "standards" which you may want to investigate) ...

In addition to BB86 Bottom Bracket shells using press fit bearings they can be retrofitted with adapters to use an English threaded BB cup of whatever ilk suits your preference-or-needs.

BTW. FSA makes cranks with non-hollow arms and are available for almost ever BB type ... the backside of the alloy arms are scalloped ...

Campagnolo's alloy crankarms have comparatively shallow scallops ... and, Campagnolo has BB30 cups for their Utra Torque cranksets, so have your guy decide if Campagnolo's alloy cranks are suitable for the custom modification which you need.

Reactions: BILLYHOLMES