BC1600 computer problem

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Dekka, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. Dekka

    Dekka Guest

    I have a BC1600 cycle computer that has recently stopped showing the
    speed. The cadence function works fine. Last night I took the wheel
    magnet off and moved it back and forth across the fork sensor. That
    worked fine but after I put the wheel back on it stopped reading when
    the speed went above ~10 km/h. That made me suspect the magnet but
    today it started reading after riding about 7 km (and I was going
    faster than 10 km/h!).

    Any suggestions about what to replace/test? I don't think it is the
    wiring although I'm not sure how to test this. I replaced the battery
    in case that was the problem but that didn't help.

    Derek

    Tags:

  2. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    I solved a similar problem by replacing the harness. They are fairly cheap and most shops seem to have them. You could also upgrade to wireless - about $27 at PBK (not including postage) - $45 and up locally.

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Dekka wrote:

    > I have a BC1600 cycle computer that has recently stopped showing the
    > speed. The cadence function works fine. Last night I took the wheel
    > magnet off and moved it back and forth across the fork sensor. That
    > worked fine but after I put the wheel back on it stopped reading when
    > the speed went above ~10 km/h. That made me suspect the magnet but
    > today it started reading after riding about 7 km (and I was going
    > faster than 10 km/h!).
    >
    > Any suggestions about what to replace/test? I don't think it is the
    > wiring although I'm not sure how to test this. I replaced the battery
    > in case that was the problem but that didn't help.
    >
    > Derek

    If it's reading fine off the bike, but has problems on the bike, then
    most likely the magnet isn't mounted securely or is not lined up close
    enough to the sensor.

    I tested my wiring by cutting off the suspicious section of wire and
    then reconnecting it the sensor to the computer. I determined it was the
    wiring. I wouldn't recommend this if you think it's NOT the wiring ;-)

    Tam

  4. Dekka wrote:
    > I have a BC1600 cycle computer that has recently stopped showing the
    > speed. The cadence function works fine. Last night I took the wheel
    > magnet off and moved it back and forth across the fork sensor. That
    > worked fine but after I put the wheel back on it stopped reading when
    > the speed went above ~10 km/h. That made me suspect the magnet but
    > today it started reading after riding about 7 km (and I was going
    > faster than 10 km/h!).
    >
    > Any suggestions about what to replace/test? I don't think it is the
    > wiring although I'm not sure how to test this. I replaced the battery
    > in case that was the problem but that didn't help.
    >
    > Derek

    Mine has the same issue with cadence - the pedal magnet keeps moving a tiny
    amount due to contact with my shoes now & then. It's a PITA but I've learned
    to live with it, as the crank is really not a good shape for fastening the
    magnet securely

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  5. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Karen Gallagher wrote:

    > Mine has the same issue with cadence - the pedal magnet keeps moving a tiny
    > amount due to contact with my shoes now & then. It's a PITA but I've learned
    > to live with it, as the crank is really not a good shape for fastening the
    > magnet securely
    >
    > Karen

    Maybe you could get some more serious double-sided tape to supplement
    the included tape and cable tie?

    Tam

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-21, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
    > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    >
    >> Mine has the same issue with cadence - the pedal magnet keeps moving a tiny
    >> amount due to contact with my shoes now & then. It's a PITA but I've learned
    >> to live with it, as the crank is really not a good shape for fastening the
    >> magnet securely
    >>
    >> Karen

    > Maybe you could get some more serious double-sided tape to supplement
    > the included tape and cable tie?

    I didn't use a cable tie on mine -- perhaps the cable tie is what is
    being bumped by the shoe?

    --
    TimC
    Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

  7. Dekka

    Dekka Guest

    The magnet is about as close as possible to the sensor so I don't think
    that's the problem. It is actually further away when moving it off the
    bike.

    Thanks for the info on the wiring, I don't think I'll try that!

  8. Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    >
    >> Mine has the same issue with cadence - the pedal magnet keeps moving
    >> a tiny amount due to contact with my shoes now & then. It's a PITA
    >> but I've learned to live with it, as the crank is really not a good
    >> shape for fastening the magnet securely
    >>
    >> Karen

    > Maybe you could get some more serious double-sided tape to supplement
    > the included tape and cable tie?
    >
    > Tam

    That might make it worse, as it already hits my shoe - another, say, 1mm of
    tape underneath it will mean one more mm to strike.

    I got rid of the tiny cable tie & used a much heavier duty one, which worked
    fine till the LBS replaced the pedals for me last week (one fell apart after
    just 8 weeks use).

    On another thread, my purchase of a road bike's been postponed - my German
    Shepherd needed surgery to her cruciate ligament
    (http://www.acslink.aone.net.au/ncc/Images/other/sick_puppy.jpg) which cost
    more than the bike would have done, so sticking with the heavy hybrid for a
    while longer till funds are a little more recovered

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Dekka wrote:

    > The magnet is about as close as possible to the sensor so I don't think
    > that's the problem. It is actually further away when moving it off the
    > bike.

    are you using a HRM or anything else that might interfere with it?

  10. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > On 2006-04-21, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
    > > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    > >
    > >> Mine has the same issue with cadence - the pedal magnet keeps moving a tiny
    > >> amount due to contact with my shoes now & then. It's a PITA but I've learned
    > >> to live with it, as the crank is really not a good shape for fastening the
    > >> magnet securely
    > >>
    > >> Karen

    > > Maybe you could get some more serious double-sided tape to supplement
    > > the included tape and cable tie?

    > I didn't use a cable tie on mine -- perhaps the cable tie is what is
    > being bumped by the shoe?

    I twisted mine around to where it was least likely to be bumped. But my
    cadence wires got wet eventually anyway, because they're an add-on and
    so the wires weren't well sealed. So it died.

    Tam

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Karen Gallagher wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    > >
    > >> Mine has the same issue with cadence - the pedal magnet keeps moving
    > >> a tiny amount due to contact with my shoes now & then. It's a PITA
    > >> but I've learned to live with it, as the crank is really not a good
    > >> shape for fastening the magnet securely
    > >>
    > >> Karen

    > > Maybe you could get some more serious double-sided tape to supplement
    > > the included tape and cable tie?
    > >
    > > Tam

    > That might make it worse, as it already hits my shoe - another, say, 1mm of
    > tape underneath it will mean one more mm to strike.
    >
    > I got rid of the tiny cable tie & used a much heavier duty one, which worked
    > fine till the LBS replaced the pedals for me last week (one fell apart after
    > just 8 weeks use).
    >
    > On another thread, my purchase of a road bike's been postponed - my German
    > Shepherd needed surgery to her cruciate ligament
    > (http://www.acslink.aone.net.au/ncc/Images/other/sick_puppy.jpg) which cost
    > more than the bike would have done, so sticking with the heavy hybrid for a
    > while longer till funds are a little more recovered
    >
    > Karen

    :) Big cheer for you for being one of the good ones who treats their
    puppies like children :)

    Tam

  12. tony f

    tony f Guest

    "Dekka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have a BC1600 cycle computer that has recently stopped showing the
    > speed. The cadence function works fine. Last night I took the wheel
    > magnet off and moved it back and forth across the fork sensor. That
    > worked fine but after I put the wheel back on it stopped reading when
    > the speed went above ~10 km/h. That made me suspect the magnet but
    > today it started reading after riding about 7 km (and I was going
    > faster than 10 km/h!).
    >
    > Any suggestions about what to replace/test? I don't think it is the
    > wiring although I'm not sure how to test this. I replaced the battery
    > in case that was the problem but that didn't help.

    Speedos work on very simple principles. Here's my layman's understanding.
    The sensor sits on your fork (or wherever) and a magnet passes it every
    wheel rotation. As the magnet passes the sensor, it trips the switch located
    in the sensor, completing the circuit and allowing current to flow from the
    battery, down the cable, through the sensor, and back up again. The computer
    knows this, and records each curent pulse, does some fancy calculations
    based on the wheel size you've entered and presents the resulting info.

    I reckon it will be the magnet position - it may even be moving slightly as
    you go faster - mine was going off the other day when I hit high speeds -
    the magnet moved along the spokes a tad, and bingo, no more magnet operated
    switch!

    Tests?

    Listen. Seriously. Get in a very quiet environment and spin your wheel, with
    your ear close to the sensor. You should be able to hear it trip as the
    magnet goes past. The magnet should be very close to the sensor as it
    passes - usually about 2-3 mm.

    Get a multimeter and test for line continuity at the speedo connections - I
    think I used the resistance setting - open circuit = normal, circuit closes
    as magnet passes sensor. This validates your cabling.

    It's possible, but a PITA, to replace cables. You'll need to be able to
    wield a soldering iron in anger. Or at least cut and make bodgie twist and
    gaff connections.

    Tony F
    http://www.thefathippy.com
    Blue Mtns mtb rides and home made lights

  13. Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    >>
    >> Tamyka Bell wrote:

    >>> Maybe you could get some more serious double-sided tape to
    >>> supplement the included tape and cable tie?
    >>>
    >>> Tam

    >> That might make it worse, as it already hits my shoe - another, say,
    >> 1mm of tape underneath it will mean one more mm to strike.
    >>
    >> I got rid of the tiny cable tie & used a much heavier duty one,
    >> which worked fine till the LBS replaced the pedals for me last week
    >> (one fell apart after just 8 weeks use).
    >>
    >> On another thread, my purchase of a road bike's been postponed - my
    >> German Shepherd needed surgery to her cruciate ligament
    >> (http://www.acslink.aone.net.au/ncc/Images/other/sick_puppy.jpg)
    >> which cost more than the bike would have done, so sticking with the
    >> heavy hybrid for a while longer till funds are a little more
    >> recovered
    >>
    >> Karen

    > :) Big cheer for you for being one of the good ones who treats their
    > puppies like children :)
    >
    > Tam

    With a pup (OK, she's 4) looking that cute, how could I not? My two GSD's
    are my children, the real ones having grown up & left home :)

    Karen.

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  14. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Our animals cost us far more in medical costs than our children do.

    A vet friend told me many years ago that she was paying more for her professional indemnity insurance than a mutual doctor friend was paying for his insurance at the time. Courts award higher damages if you kill someone's prize bull than if you kill their grandmother (something to do with earning potential).

    SteveA

  15. Dekka wrote:
    > The magnet is about as close as possible to the sensor so I don't
    > think that's the problem. It is actually further away when moving it
    > off the bike.
    >
    > Thanks for the info on the wiring, I don't think I'll try that!

    The sideways location is pretty much as critical as the distance separation
    too, don't forget ....

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  16. ghostgum

    ghostgum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    From your description I'd suggest the reed switch, which is the little switch which opens and closed as the magnet passes. If the switch were a little sticky, then it might work at slow speeds, but not at higher speeds. I guess the only way to test this would be with a CRO. Not sure I've ever seen a cyclist with a CRO attached to the bike :) but I have had a graphing multimeter strapped to the head stem.

    Dirty contacts could also have a similar effect.

    Clean the contacts. If that doesn't help I'd try a replacement wiring harness.

  17. I remember on a previous thread a loooong time ago, that someone had
    some success by replacing the magnet with a much stronger one.....??
    Not so strong of course that you start dragging other cyclists or cars
    across the road into your front wheel or anything (although that would
    be funny to watch...) - but you know what i mean.....

    Abby

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Karen Gallagher wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > Karen Gallagher wrote:

    > >> That might make it worse, as it already hits my shoe - another, say,
    > >> 1mm of tape underneath it will mean one more mm to strike.
    > >>
    > >> I got rid of the tiny cable tie & used a much heavier duty one,
    > >> which worked fine till the LBS replaced the pedals for me last week
    > >> (one fell apart after just 8 weeks use).
    > >>
    > >> On another thread, my purchase of a road bike's been postponed - my
    > >> German Shepherd needed surgery to her cruciate ligament
    > >> (http://www.acslink.aone.net.au/ncc/Images/other/sick_puppy.jpg)
    > >> which cost more than the bike would have done, so sticking with the
    > >> heavy hybrid for a while longer till funds are a little more
    > >> recovered
    > >>
    > >> Karen

    > > :) Big cheer for you for being one of the good ones who treats their
    > > puppies like children :)
    > >
    > > Tam

    > With a pup (OK, she's 4) looking that cute, how could I not? My two GSD's
    > are my children, the real ones having grown up & left home :)
    >
    > Karen.

    Hehehe, our silky terrier "pup" is twelve now. He still runs around like
    a lunatic dog :)

    Yay for dogs!

    Tam

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:

    > I remember on a previous thread a loooong time ago, that someone had
    > some success by replacing the magnet with a much stronger one.....??
    > Not so strong of course that you start dragging other cyclists or cars
    > across the road into your front wheel or anything (although that would
    > be funny to watch...) - but you know what i mean.....
    >
    > Abby

    Wasn't there a car add like that?

    Maybe you could set up your speedo magnet to repel fscking Prados?

    Tam

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-21, Absent Husband (aka Bruce)
    > I remember on a previous thread a loooong time ago, that someone had
    > some success by replacing the magnet with a much stronger one.....??
    > Not so strong of course that you start dragging other cyclists or cars
    > across the road into your front wheel or anything (although that would
    > be funny to watch...) - but you know what i mean.....

    Also not so strong as to be able to magnetise other steel spokes.
    Hey! I'm doing 465km/h! Whee!

    --
    TimC
    cat /kat/ n. A furry keyboard cover