BCR (Bargain Chain Report):

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Called up LBS John Friday to ask if he had a low end-ish Sram 9sp chain in stock, he told me 'no',
but he did have some PC69's in, for 25 quid (ish). So, I said 'goodbye John', then he tells me 'but
you can have it for 16 quid', so me, I says 'see you about quarter past five then John'.

Picked chain up, rode home, had a beer. Got chain out of box, put it on. 'Ooooo, shiny!' thunk I to
meself, and went for a spin around the

it too damned late (as I'd figured I likely had), so I need the whole kit and caboodle replacing
now. Anyone know anyone who is in need of several shiny shark's teeth?........

I put the old chain back on, figuring to just wear it all right out and save for the bits. I went
for a short road ride Saturday. The chain skipped at the back in small or middle/middle combo under
heavy pressure. Later, it started skipping in other combo's. I had a bit of an off road ride Sunday,
and it skipped all over the show.

Called up John again this morning - turns out the Sram 11-34 cassette I'd bought off him, was one of
a bunch they'd bought in at a special price, and he thinks they've all sold, so, if He can't find
one of that batch, it's gonna cost me way more than I paid before.

Chain rings here in the UK are too much to buy individually, so looks like I'm gonna have to buy a
whole new FSA PowerPro crank and ring set (3rd one) they still have on 'sale' for about 40 quid.

I'd just ordered a new pair of Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6's last week, so, I've got 60 quid to pay out
for those this week too, which is gonna bring the total cost of bike parts over the last few days up
to about 150 - 170 quid, depending on what these things finally price up at.

Well, guess who isn't furious at themselves for their lack of vigilance then?...............

Shaun aRe - Bollox.......... ;-(

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote
| Called up John again this morning - turns out the Sram 11-34 cassette I'd bought off him, was one
| of a bunch they'd bought in at a special price,
and
| he thinks they've all sold, so, if He can't find one of that batch, it's gonna cost me way more
| than I paid before.

A bunch of Gary Fisher bikes came with that cassette OE. Every single one of them were off the
bikes in short order. Those that were replaced with the same cassette wore out just as quickly,
those who upgraded to a Shimano cassette lasted much longer. Now I don't even give the SRAM
cassettes a second glance.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/13/2003

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Shaun Rimmer" wrote
> | Called up John again this morning - turns out the Sram 11-34 cassette
I'd
> | bought off him, was one of a bunch they'd bought in at a special price,
> and
> | he thinks they've all sold, so, if He can't find one of that batch, it's gonna cost me way more
> | than I paid before.
>
> A bunch of Gary Fisher bikes came with that cassette OE. Every single one of them were off the
> bikes in short order. Those that were replaced with the same cassette wore out just as quickly,
> those who upgraded to a
Shimano
> cassette lasted much longer. Now I don't even give the SRAM cassettes a second glance.

Yup - I'd heard both good and bad things about this unit before I bought it, but I have had no
trouble with it myself at all. The state of wear is my own fault in this case (as evidenced by the
advanced state of wear of the chain rings) - I've had this chain on since I fitted that cassette
well over a year ago, it's been ridden hard and over some miles, in atrocious conditions, and
cleaned far, _far_ too infrequently. - This wasn't a 'product ***** and moan session' at all, just
me '*****ing and moaning' about my own stupidity; firstly in not looking after the chain as well as
I could have and in secondly (and mainly); not replacing it when I should have done - about 5 or 6
months ago......heheheheheh.......ahem.

Cheers Nelz.

Shaun aRe - d'oh!

Well, the LBS had no more of the bargain Sram cassettes, so I ended up going with a HG-50, 11-32
meaning I've lost my big 34 low gear, but WTF, my legs don't need it.....ahem.........

LBS John had these priced at £30, which is about a fiver over the odds compared to most web prices,
but he let me have it for £19. Got a new set of FSA PowerPro's too, in blue ano again this time
which he had priced at £42-ish, but sold to me for £36, so, at a total of £55 which the gorgeous
Kath kindly bought for me (already bought the Sram PC69 chain for £16 last week), I got all the bits
I needed to see the bike's drive train working nice and smooth again, so, I was happy!

Had all the bits fitted in short order last night, and everything works flawlessly (need new mechs
next! Heheheh...).

Oh, came to put the square taper cranks on, and realised I had no grease at the house, but, I'd
cooked a 5lb shoulder of lamb on Sunday, so, I just used a couple of gobs of lamb-lard on the
tapers, and do you know what? Works miles better than grease!

Shaun aRe - 'Lamb Lard (TM), it's the greasy way forward for everyone'.

> Oh, came to put the square taper cranks on, and realised I had no grease
at
> the house, but, I'd cooked a 5lb shoulder of lamb on Sunday, so, I just
used
> a couple of gobs of lamb-lard on the tapers, and do you know what? Works miles better than grease!

Hope you remembered the mint jelly on the chainring bolts.

Bill "Judy Butter, Mint Jelly...mmm, tasty rig" S.

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Oh, came to put the square taper cranks on, and realised I had no grease
> at
> > the house, but, I'd cooked a 5lb shoulder of lamb on Sunday, so, I just
> used
> > a couple of gobs of lamb-lard on the tapers, and do you know what? Works miles better than
> > grease!
>
> Hope you remembered the mint jelly on the chainring bolts.

No, but the lamb had been suitably garlic and rosemary and black pepper pre-marinated, so the Lamb
Lard (TM) was correctly flavoured.

> Bill "Judy Butter, Mint Jelly...mmm, tasty rig" S.

You didn't wanna tell us allabout Judy's butter dude.......<shud-d-d-d-er>............

Shaun aRe

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > You didn't wanna tell us allabout Judy's butter dude.......<shud-d-d-d-er>............
>
> You're thinking of Judy Finnigan, aren't you?

No - I no longer have those nightmares.............

Shaun aRe