BCS comes to marathoning

Bumper

Guest
Can't decide it this is good for a sport that can't even get a race on
ESPN 2 or there goes the neighborhood!

> [...]
> Qualifying Races.
>
> •Athletes earn points by placing among the top five at qualifying races: 25
> points for a first-place finish, 15 points for second place, 10 points for
> third place, five points for fourth place, and one point for fifth place;
>
> • During the two-year scoring period, an athlete must finish at least one
> qualifying race in each year of the series. If an athlete runs more than
> four qualifying races, only the top four results will be counted.
>
> • In the case of tie, the first tiebreaker is the winner of any
> head-to-head competition between the contending athletes in a qualifying
> race. The ultimate tiebreaker is by majority vote of the five WMM race
> directors.
>
> The WMM Series is designed to further elevate the sport of marathon running
> in the public eye. Helping to focus the world's best marathoners on the
> world's premier marathons will create a platform that is intriguing and
> simple to follow.
>
> The scoring system makes all WMM events equal in terms of the athletes'
> pursuit of the grand prize jackpot and acknowledges that all marathon
> courses are not the same. The scoring system is based on points, rather
> than on performance times or strength of competition, to take into account
> the unique challenges involved in performing well over a sustained period
> of time. The winner of the WMM Series unquestionably will be the best
> performer during the competition period, and additional marathons could be
> added to a subsequent WMM Series.
>
> Two-year scoring periods will overlap, allowing the WMM to award a grand
> prize jackpot on an annual basis following the inaugural presentation in
> 2007. That is, after the 2006-2007 series, the subsequent series will
> include the WMM races during the calendar years 2007 and 2008.
>
> "The creation of this series will generate collective interest and
> excitement at alevel that has not existed between our great events in the
> past," remarked Carey Pinkowski, executive race director of the LaSalle
> Bank Chicago Marathon. "The result of these marathons partnering together
> is increased visibility, exposure, and growth for the sport of marathon
> running on a national and international scale."
>
> It is the intention of the WWM by seeking sponsorship support to double the
> prize money purse to $2 million in future years for a $1 million prize for
> both the men's and women's champion. Athletics Management & Services (AMS)
> has been exclusively appointed by the WMM to secure a title sponsor.
> "In fact, we are the championship events of the sport of marathon running,"
> said Mark Milde, race director of the real,- Berlin-Marathon. "Like the
> championship events of tennis and golf, we are now positioning ourselves to
> work together rather than individually, which will be a venture attractive
> to runners and non-runners, athletics enthusiasts, and casual observers of

"Bumper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1h9navw.13trti2qwjcdcN%[email protected]...
> Can't decide it this is good for a sport that can't even get a race on
> ESPN 2 or there goes the neighborhood!

I see good and bad. Good as it may bring some prosperity to running in
general and marathons but I don't like the idea of competing in 5. This
may just introduce people into ultra running and the next thing you know
our races will be inundated with whinny wusses wanting prize money, 5
year age group awards and Starbucks Coffee shopes at each aid stations.
;)

-DougF

Doug Freese wrote:

> "Bumper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1h9navw.13trti2qwjcdcN%[email protected]...
> > Can't decide it this is good for a sport that can't even get a race on
> > ESPN 2 or there goes the neighborhood!

> I see good and bad. Good as it may bring some prosperity to running in
> general and marathons but I don't like the idea of competing in 5. This
> may just introduce people into ultra running and the next thing you know
> our races will be inundated with whinny wusses wanting prize money, 5
> year age group awards and Starbucks Coffee shopes at each aid stations.
> ;)

And the diff between starbucks and dew is?

Hint: starbucks has more calories+caffeine... :)

"Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Doug Freese wrote:
>>
>> "Bumper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:1h9navw.13trti2qwjcdcN%[email protected]...
>> > Can't decide it this is good for a sport that can't even get a race
>> > on
>> > ESPN 2 or there goes the neighborhood!

>> I see good and bad. Good as it may bring some prosperity to running
>> in
>> general and marathons but I don't like the idea of competing in 5.
>> This
>> may just introduce people into ultra running and the next thing you
>> know
>> our races will be inundated with whinny wusses wanting prize money, 5
>> year age group awards and Starbucks Coffee shopes at each aid
>> stations.
>> ;)

> And the diff between starbucks and dew is?

You missed the facetiousness of the comment - a starbuck's COFFEE SHOP
Tom, not just a cup of their coffee. You know the place with internet
access, pastries, bathroom and comfy sofas. For and anecdotal sidebar,
Bill Ladiau(sp) used to supplement his races with bottles of Starbuck's
Frappes.

> Hint: starbucks has more calories+caffeine... :)

I'd bet many runners would love a Starbucks coffee, over a Dew but it
ain't gonna happen

>I see good and bad. Good as it may bring some prosperity to running in
>general and marathons but I don't like the idea of competing in 5. This
>may just introduce people into ultra running and the next thing you know
>our races will be inundated with whinny wusses wanting prize money, 5
>year age group awards and Starbucks Coffee shopes at each aid stations.
>;)

Wow, you can lay out a race course now that doesn't run past a
Starbucks every half mile? :p
--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

"Brian Baresch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Wow, you can lay out a race course now that doesn't run past a
> Starbucks every half mile? :p

Sure can if stay on trails. If roads you have a good point. ;)