BCTLPL with the SC Crew

GeeDubb

Guest
First let me say that the SC stands for Southern California, no SoCal as I
don't have the right to refer to it as such nor will I ever, nor do I want
to!

BCTLPL=Black Canyon Trail Little Pan Loop

The gents from SC arrived mid afternoon after just a little mix up with
Google Maps....second time that's happened with somebody trying to find my
house with a web map service (I won't mention any name RAL).

I got several calls as they approached so I gladly guided them in, seems the
orienteer was asleep in the back seat for the first miscue. I had just
finished roasting the third of three batches of coffee for the trio as they
pulled into the driveway. BO......nice initials Bill....asks "are you
roasting coffee?" yep I reply....seems the odor drifted over much of the
neighborhood, somewhat like the odor testing in NY but with a much happier
olfactory sensation.

A tour of the coffee room and of course brews (coffee that is, black gold,
Arizona tea,... double americanos of Yemen for all but MTBBILL who
inadvertently got a triple, oops) all around for the somewhat road tired
friends brought a little jazz to the eyelids. We sat, talked, drank our
coffees, toured the woodshop and decided to opt for the BCTLPL instead of
T-100 since the BCTLPL got them some 40 miles closer to Sedona.

We hit the TH a little after 4 pm which was going to push the available
daylight but 1.5 hours for the loop is pretty sufficient barring any major
mechanical problems. I threw on the HID just in case we got caught out past
dark There was the typical shooting all around us (I don't see the
fascination of shooting at a piece of paper or a road sign....) but soon
diminished as we started riding. I was put in the lead position since I had
ridden the trail once.

To lead this group is a privileged since my bike handling skills are about
half of any one of these riders. JD and MTBBILL were sporting 6" travel
bikes while BillO was on a shorter travel bike as was I. Having the
shorter travel appeared to give me some advantage in the climbs....and
thankfully, there is some climbing on this loop. Through the first half of
the ride I led the way but relinquished on the back side return as this
section has some great downhill cuts, some slightly technical short climbs
out of washes and of course, cholla which got only in my tires, the back
tire of course.

There are a few tight switchbacks to ride (or walk like I do) that were fun
to watch these guys ride. One in particular as you approach the river
bottom is a sharp, steep, loose left with a huge saguaro cactus on the
inside. Really intimidated me since if you fall most likely it's into the
damn saguaro.

We finished the ride at 6 pm with little to no light left (especially if one
is still wearing prescription sun glasses....) cracked open some beer,
played with lights and cameras creating some fun effects in the dark and
then heading further North to the Rock Springs Cafe for dinner and pie.

We parted with the SC crew heading North to a waiting keg o beer in Sedona
and me heading South to a warm loving family and some new Stone brew in the
fridge.

Life just doesn't get much better than this (it could if I could ride just a
little bit better....)

I left a lot of detail out but the crew from SC was fairly impressed with
the new trail. Hopefully one or more of them will post some pictures since
I didn't take my camera.

Go Ride now

Gary

JD

Guest
GeeDubb wrote:
> [...]
> inside. Really intimidated me since if you fall most likely it's into the
> damn saguaro.
>
> We finished the ride at 6 pm with little to no light left (especially if one
> is still wearing prescription sun glasses....) cracked open some beer,
> played with lights and cameras creating some fun effects in the dark and
> then heading further North to the Rock Springs Cafe for dinner and pie.
>
> We parted with the SC crew heading North to a waiting keg o beer in Sedona
> and me heading South to a warm loving family and some new Stone brew in the
> fridge.
>
> Life just doesn't get much better than this (it could if I could ride just a
> little bit better....)
>
> I left a lot of detail out but the crew from SC was fairly impressed with
> the new trail. Hopefully one or more of them will post some pictures since

Thanks for the tour, G. The rest of the trip seemed like a whirlwind,
but was fun just the same. Day to day without a detailed plan can be
fun...

JD

MTBBill

Guest
GeeDubb wrote:
<SNIP>
> A tour of the coffee room and of course brews (coffee that is, black gold,
> Arizona tea,... double americanos of Yemen for all but MTBBILL who
> inadvertently got a triple, oops) all around for the somewhat road tired
> friends brought a little jazz to the eyelids. <SNIP>

Triples...Goooooood!

The Black Canyon trails were very cool indeed. I felt like I was
poaching in some spots as the trail still had some of that "new" look
and feel to it. With a wee bit more traffic those trails are going
to be even cooler and downright ripable in some sections. Big props to
those who made the trails happen. Also thanks a bunch for having us
over, it was a great start to a pretty awesome nomadic five days of
riding. I hope to have some pictures and words up within the week.

Bill