BDL productions magazine research

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by North, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. North

    North Guest

    Hi guys. after working with a one of the unicyclists on this forum, ive
    decided to come on here myself to do the market research.
    heres the brief:

    BDL productions (who own broad day light video, who you may
    or may not have heard of) are looking to produce a unicycle
    magazine (provisionally called "R Evolution"), which will
    mainly be distributed in the uk, but will be available
    anywhere else mail order from us. the format is going to be
    similar to that of uk magazines such as ride, document and
    dirt. ie mainly photo based. at the moment we are talking to
    various different organisations about funding. what we want
    from you guys is submissisions, feedback, ideas, and
    especially any ideas about where we can get further funding.

    and to answer the following questions:

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?
    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
    3)what would you like to see in the mag?
    4)how much do you think it should retail for?
    5)how often should it be produced?
    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only?
    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?
    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene?
    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag?

    we need your help to get this off the ground guys, so if you
    want it, you have to work for it as well as us, and who
    knows, its all volunteer based for now, but when we get up
    and running, theres carreers in unicycling available here!

    --
    north - The seth enslow of unicycling

    North

    until it ends...

    north's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3476

  2. Jjuggle

    Jjuggle Guest

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?

    Yes.

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?

    Small.

    3)what would you like to see in the mag?

    Everything: MUni, Trials, Freestyle, Touring, and Circus.
    Profiles of people and clubs, technical articles, tour and
    event coverage, product reviews, etc.

    4)how much do you think it should retail for?

    Depends on frequency. If quarterly, no more than 8 USD. If 6
    times per year then no more than 6 USD. If monthly, no more
    than 4-5 USD.

    5)how often should it be produced?

    Ideally monthly.

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?

    Yes.

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only?

    Don't care.

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?

    No. Are these undergrounders criminals of some sort?

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene?

    Yes.

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag?

    No.

    Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    '6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
    (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

    *Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball*
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  3. Norry

    Norry Guest

    > and to answer the following questions:
    >
    > 1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?

    yes

    > 2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?

    small/medium Is there any other in the UK?

    > 3)what would you like to see in the mag?

    muni / trials / freestyle. Tips / Tricks etc. Big + would be
    maps/routes etc of good rides.

    > 4)how much do you think it should retail for?

    Depends on format. £4

    > 5)how often should it be produced?

    Monthly

    > 6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?

    Yes, after getting a lot lot better

    > 7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    > order only?

    Don't mind.

    > 8)would you consider the exposure of the underground
    > scene through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?

    errr, underground scene?

    > 9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    > unicycle scene?

    yes

    > 10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    > advertise in the mag?

    nope

  4. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 07:12:58 -0500, "north" wrote:

    > 1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?
    Maybe. There is already so much in this newsgroup. Also,
    I could become a member of the USA to get OWW but I
    haven't done it.

    > 2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
    Overall, small. Among unicyclists: don't know. Maybe ppl
    react enthusiastically now but will that last?

    > 3)what would you like to see in the mag?
    Not only pics! Interview, tutorials, event reports, future
    events calendar... The same stuff as the 'better' threads
    in this forum but then in a more 'timeless' fashion, more
    crystallised-out.

    > 4)how much do you think it should retail for?
    Depends on content. 2 - 5 € maybe.

    > 5)how often should it be produced?
    6 or 12 per year.

    > 6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
    Yes.

    > 7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    > order only?
    I suspect too little demand for general release.

    > 8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    > through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?
    Not sure what you mean.

    > 9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    > unicycle scene?
    Yes but largely unrelated to this mag.

    >10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    > advertise in the mag?
    No but manufacturers, distributors and also performers
    come to mind.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  5. Darktom

    Darktom Guest

    Alright North! I met you at BUC11, I was one of the
    Scottish guys.

    I'll answer your questions for you....

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?

    Definitely.

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?

    Not that big but enough to keep it running.

    3)what would you like to see in the mag?

    All aspects of unicycling and no circus stuff unless it
    involves fire!

    4)how much do you think it should retail for?

    I would happily pay £5-10quid for such a mag.

    5)how often should it be produced?

    Bi-monthly?

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?

    I certainly would!

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only?

    WH Smith would be excellent but I think mail-order is
    more likely.

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?

    Not at all as its pretty much only going to be unicyclists
    buying the mag.

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene?

    Yes.

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag?

    Roger?

    Hope this helps.

    T.

    --

    And I haven't lost a wheel either!
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  6. North

    North Guest

    it wasnt me that wrote that folks, just the bloke im in
    talks with to produce it. i might demand the first front
    cover tho! from our discussions, it looks like its going to
    go ahead, funding is being searched, loans taken out,
    whatever... it also looks like its going to be
    trials/street/muni/flatland based, monthly or bi-monthly,
    distributed through whsmith, but probably on a request
    basis, or through mail order... and costing about £3.50
    ish... but im not supposed to say all that cos it might
    influence the market research, which the man needs to show
    his bank manager for a loan or something. but because theres
    a niche in the market it should be able to stay a float
    small scale, though not very profitably. it all looks good
    from what ive seen, but the man needs our help.

    --
    north - The seth enslow of unicycling

    North

    until it ends...

    north's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3476

  7. 1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?
    - Yes

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
    - Big amongst unicyclists

    3)what would you like to see in the mag?
    - Tutorials, event reports, new tricks

    5)how often should it be produced?
    - Once every 2 months

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
    - Yes, particularly some of the trials obstacle building
    instructions I've done (I'd make them look prettier) and
    other tutorials maybe.

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?
    - No as mainly only unicyclists will be reading the
    magazine.

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene?
    - Yes, but semi-slow growth.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  8. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

  9. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?
    - Yes, providing it's not too expensive me living in
    Australia and all.

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
    - Pretty small.

    3)what would you like to see in the mag?
    - Tutorials, tips, product reviews, new tricks, anything
    related to the diferent styles, interviews/profiles of
    some of the better riders, and lots of photos! Buy a
    skating magazine and take a look at that and follow the
    same setup and add in a bit more!

    4)how much do you think it should retail for?
    - I would be willing to pay $10 for every issue providing
    it's of reasonable quality. It would have to have quite a
    bit of content to read though, not just photos.

    5)how often should it be produced?
    - Once every 3 months or so.

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
    Definately, not sure what I could do but happy to try and
    submit something, even if I won't be able to get a copy
    here in Australia.

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only?
    - Uh... not really sure what you mean but prolly not only
    mail order.

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?
    - Not quite sure what you mean here either.

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene?
    - Yeah it would help, but not if it's only mail order.

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag?
    - Not particularly, whoever sponsors Kris Holm would prolly
    do it, I can see the benefits for them.

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    Jacinto is the king.
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

  10. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?

    Yes

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?

    Small, all over, medium among unicyclist

    3)what would you like to see in the mag?

    Pictures, product reviews, writings with pictures from
    different trips, tutorials

    4)how much do you think it should retail for?

    3-10£

    5)how often should it be produced?

    Every second month

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?

    Yes

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only?

    Mail order only

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?

    Nope

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene?

    Yes, but not big, only unicyclist will buy it

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag?

    No

    --
    rusty
    rusty's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3601

  11. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Hmmm...

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?

    Definitely to start with, for the novelty. Whether I kept
    doing it would depend on whether it contained anything more
    than what this forum provides anyway.

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
    Incredibly tiny

    3)what would you like to see in the mag?
    EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything

    4)how much do you think it should retail for? Impossible to
    say without knowing what's in it. I was thinking the same
    price as cycling magazines, but they have much more
    opportunities for reviews of products and adverts.
    Counting all possible advertisers for this would seem
    possible using only one hand...

    5)how often should it be produced? Quarterly. I just don't
    think there is the material for any more.

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for
    it? Possibly.

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only? Don't care. Probably easiest all round mail
    order only, although that would exclude any random
    purchases by people who just happen to see it for sale
    somewhere (likely? I dunno)

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling? I'm
    crying inside...

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene? Yes, but with the high entry barrier it's
    not going to be very much.

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag? See last part of [4]

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  12. Jjuggle

    Jjuggle Guest

  13. Evilewan

    Evilewan Guest

    do any of the mtb magasines have a regular unicycle column?

    if they don't then i'd take it as an indicator that the
    world just isn't ready for a mainstreem unicycle
    magasine. if they do then the time is right. just
    spectulation of course.

    of course it dosen't have to be mainstreem to be fantastic.

    and i'd probably buy it if i could get it mail order from a
    unicycle supplier. i don't do subscriptions.

    bi monthly would be cool but realisticly it wouldn't matter
    how often it was produced.

    its also quite likley i'd contribute some material once
    in a while.

    there is a real lack of up to date documentation on
    unicycling, in terms of cataloguing tricks all we have is
    the skill levels and they suck.

    the kind of content i'd like to see is: tutorials on new
    tricks, maintanance tips, realy amazing pictures,information
    about events. some product reveiws.

    good luck.!!

    --
    evilewan - death or glory

    --
    evilewan.

    see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
    http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
    evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

  14. Borges

    Borges Guest

    I'd like to see a magazine like that become a success.
    Mainly to be able to keep a good record of the community. If
    someone in a couple of years wants to know how unicycling
    expanded from curcus arts into the olympics it would all be
    there in writing. It would also be good to have things of
    lasting value in print. Sometimes it's more convenient to go
    look something up in your binder than having to go turn the
    computer on.

    I'd probably buy the magazine, and a lot of other people
    would too, but I doubt unicycling is big enough for it to
    make any real money.

    --
    Borges

    "However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
    practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
    Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

  15. Joe

    Joe Guest

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag? Yes

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is? Large in
    the unicyclist community

    3)what would you like to see in the mag? A bit of
    everything really. If it going to be a success, you will
    have to target a larger audience than just trials/muni
    riders I would also like to see extreme juggling (fire
    clubs on giraffe muni??)

    4)how much do you think it should retail for? between £3 -
    £4

    5)how often should it be produced? Depends on material. I
    would rather have a nice full mag quarterly, rather than
    a little mag every month...

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for
    it? Indeed

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only? Mail order. Wont it cost to get it into
    smiths? (I don’t know how they work), but I doubt people
    would buy it unless they did unicycle... if it was going
    to smith, it would have to be a small number, or else you
    would get a lot of waste (I guess)

    8)Would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverage a problem to unicycling? It
    might get some people interested in unicycling if it was
    in Smiths, but if it was mail order, would that still be
    underground? I'm not to bothered though

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene? Yeah,

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag? Roger? municycle.com? The problem
    with advertising is that almost everyone in the unicycle
    community know of all the shop (don’t they!?), so again
    if it was in Smiths, I think people would be more likely
    to advertise in it.

    BTW, is it going to be a 'proper' mag, with glossy
    cover etc? :p

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  16. Hey North, it's fantastic to hear someone is going to so
    much effort for this little sport of ours, both with your
    video and mag ideas- I take my sombrero off to you!

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag? Of course!

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is? A big
    proportion of the uni (maybe juggling etc?)community
    would want it I think.

    3)what would you like to see in the mag? Everything
    unicycle related, all styles, tips, hints and how-tos,
    letters, adverts, bios, profiles, competitions,
    interviews, product reviews EVERTHING!!!!. I think making
    it trials/muni specific would severely limit its appeal.
    It's only a tiny portion of a tiny sport after all.

    4)how much do you think it should retail for? Hmmm, depends
    if you wanna make actual profit or are just happy to
    break even with a bit of change. £5 to £10 depending on
    how often it was produced.

    5)how often should it be produced? Everyday! :D As said
    before, I'd prefer a quarterly mag with some meat to it,
    than a small mag. If you could fill it out ith quality
    stuff tho I guess bi-monthly would be cool, if not
    unrealistic maybe.

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
    Yeah... wouldn't do much for the mag I don't think tho!

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only? Depends which would be cheaper, makes no
    difference otherwise.

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling? Nah, s
    long as it doens't portray the sport in a way that could
    reasonably be percieved as bad.

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene? Of course!

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag? Unicyclist.com, municyle.com,
    unicycle.com, Bedford.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "It's all in the mind, not the behind" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  17. North

    North Guest

    been showing your reports to my man in the know, heres his feedback:

    as for profit, hes not interested in making anything at
    first, he'd be happy to break even, im working on it with
    him for free, and his hope is that many other unicyclists
    would do the same. the basis for all this is it takes a lot
    for the mag to not just die in the first few months, and
    once it is established he can start paying contributors and
    making a profit himself. its definately going to be a full
    scale glossy mag, probably bi-monthly to get the content,
    and he'll make it available to anyone, anywhere if they want
    it, on a small scale, bdl are prepared to subsidise the
    postage to Oz or the usa, to get an established fan base
    over there, so dont worry guys. its getting there, Wyls
    researching printers/publishers at the mo... thanks for your
    help guys, keep the feedback coming.

    --
    north - The seth enslow of unicycling

    North

    until it ends...

    north's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3476

  18. Joe

    Joe Guest

  19. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    evilewan wrote:
    > *do any of the mtb magasines have a regular unicycle
    > column?*
    That's a good question. But I don't know that the mountain
    bike (magazine) market is the same as the MUni market. A
    lack of interest in a mainstream bike mag does not
    necessarily mean this idea does not have hope.

    > *there is a real lack of up to date documentation on
    > unicycling, in terms of cataloguing tricks all we have is
    > the skill levels and they suck.*
    The Unicycling Society of America has been doing it
    since 1973. There's a lot of experience in that
    "market" to indicate what the pitfalls may be in doing
    a magazine venture.

    The Skill Levels aren't intended as a catalog of tricks.
    Neither is the Standard Skill list, but it's a lot more
    extensive. As far as I know, nobody is compiling a listing
    of every trick people come up with.

    1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag? Of
    course. I already get several, from non-profit
    unicycling organizations in the USA, Japan and
    (occasionally) Denmark.

    2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is? I don't
    know if there's enough there yet. You can only try and
    see. How many copies do you need to sell to break even?
    If you keep the scope wide you will of course appeal to a
    larger number of unicyclists. It can be a MUni magazine
    and still cover everything from learning, to doing
    tricks, to forming clubs and how to work with them, to
    the obvious stuff.

    3)what would you like to see in the mag? Pictures (color
    would be nice, at least on the cover), stories of what
    riders are up to, information on upcoming events, how-tos
    on everything, equipment reviews.

    4)how much do you think it should retail for? I can't speak
    for the UK. Obviously it will be more than a mainstream
    mag. Unlike mainstream mags, this one won't have an
    alternative title to compete with. It will be produced in
    much smaller numbers, so expect it to cost more. In the
    US, we have a hard time getting people to cough up $15
    for a membership, which consists mainly of four issues of
    On One Wheel.

    5)how often should it be produced? Quarterly or bi-monthly.

    6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it? I
    might, but if it's a profit-making venture I will expect
    to be compensated. It is very easy to post to a
    newsgroup. It's quite a bit harder to get people to write
    complete articles that they know will be in a permanent
    medium. The people who do will need to be rewarded!

    7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail
    order only? I know little of WH Smith, but it is
    obviously a mainstream store. To produce enough copies to
    have two or three in each store might require a
    production run of many times more than you have readers
    for. Obviously the exposure would be tremendous, and
    would help promote the sport (and advertisers). But I
    don't think it would be a moneymaking proposition at the
    moment. Beyond that, I think it should be made available
    in every way that works.

    8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene
    through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling? There
    is no underground scene. Either that or it's basically
    all underground. I think you have to have something
    aboveground for there to be an underground. Coverage will
    not hurt us.

    9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the
    unicycle scene? It's growing as we speak. It will never
    be huge like skateboards or Razor scooters due to the
    barrier of entry (it's hard to learn). But there is still
    a lot of potential out there for much larger numbers.

    10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or
    advertise in the mag? Yes. Depending on where it's going
    and how it will be distributed, certainly Unicycle.com
    would be interested and probably others.

    The UK is relatively small. If you make a magazine, I highly
    recommend aiming it at the English speaking world. There are
    more mountain unicyclists over here than in the UK. Even if
    the distribution is only UK-based, make it a mag about
    unicyclists everywhere and you'll not only increase the
    market, you'll get a better chance of getting quality
    submissions with lots of variety.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,