Be careful of pedestrians

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Pardon me if I am becoming a chronic complainer of the conditions of our roads here. Now, it is the turn of the pedestrians in my complaints list. They disregard signs of no crossing and that's a cause for accidents. Vehicles will surely stop to give way to crossing pedestrians on the road but the 2-wheels, again, they are the kings of the road. But what if a bike hits a pedestrian, what do you think will happen? The biker gets sprawled on the ground beside the pedestrian that he had hit. And this time, I'd say that it is the pedestrian's fault.

Depends on the laws where you live, some give peds complete legal right to cross anywhere on the road and if you hit them you're at fault; others have laws that forbid peds to cross the road anywhere except in crosswalks, so if you hit the ped outside the crosswalk you're good according to the law; some places say the ped aren't even safe in a crosswalk if the light is against them. In other words you have to know the laws where you live to see how things stand.

One of my worse accidents happened because a ped was standing on a sidewalk waiting for the walk sign to change to walk, she decided she wasn't going to wait anymore and stepped off the curb right into my intended path, I did a hard turn which collapsed my front wheel and sent me sprawling onto the pavement dislocating my shoulder, I somehow missed the lady but of course the lady was no where to be found. In that area the law was if there is a walk sign a ped is to wait for the sign to say walk before they can cross, so in that circumstance it was the lady's fault. But in that same state the law says if there is a crosswalk and no walk sign then you must yield to the ped; of if the ped is crossing the street where there is no crosswalk or light then the ped must yield to others.

ideally, everyone has a part in keeping the roads safe from any accidents. Car drivers and bikers should maintain the proper speed in the proper lanes, follow traffic signs and traffic lights, and not texting or calling or driving under the influence. Pedestrians have to also do their part and only stay in sidewalks, cross the road in the proper pedestrian crossing and when the traffic light is red. Of course, the government should have a strict implementation of rules and traffic enforcers have to do their job.