Be careful of road dividers

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Do you have road dividers in your place? Those plastic pylons that line up the road to separate lanes. Yesterday in the news, it was caught up on video where those plastic road dividers were blown by the strong winds that they scarttered in the middle of the road. The video is clear that those road dividers moved without warning. What if cyclists and even motorcyclists were coming? Surely there would be an accident.

Fortunately the local town council uses fairly sturdy, and I assume heavy road dividers, nowadays. I remember at one point they used some flimsy dividers and they would be on the other side of the road whenever it would get windy or rainy. Those were definitely dangerous and it was a mission trying to avoid them. Thank goodness, I no longer have to deal with this problem.

Luckily where I live, the road dividers are made out of cement. That way there is no way of them moving around in the wind.

I don't see them much. But they are usually made of cement wherever I see them. Plastic pylons could pose a threat for bikers during night due to lower visibility. Was a poor choice to put them in a strong wind area, they must replace those with sturdier versions as soon as possible.

I haven't seen too many dividers that get dislodged on windy days, but I've seen plenty of trash cans that get blown over into the street. I'd say vehicles and kids running into the street are far bigger concerns. Those orange construction cones are also an issue sometimes.

Here in Michigan we call that the state flower haha. They are everywhere here. I try to avoid them as best I can but I'm never traveling at such a rate of speed that I need to worry about it too much.

Luckily where I live, the road dividers are made out of cement. That way there is no way of them moving around in the wind.
In my country also, the road dividers are made of cement. I don't think road divers made of cement can be blown up by the wind but we should be careful.