Be careful out there tomorrow...

Colin Blackburn

Guest
A press release from the Met Office issued about an hour ago says:

"Storm force westerly winds with gusts of 80 to 90 mph are expected
across northern and eastern England and parts of southern Scotland from
the early hours of Saturday morning. Northeast England is currently
considered at greatest risk from the damaging winds. Buildings could be
damaged and many trees uprooted. Driving conditions will be extremely
dangerous and the public is advised not to make any journeys unless
really necessary."

I'm going home to tie the house down. The bicycles are staying in the
workshop till it's all over.

Colin

> I'm going home to tie the house down. The bicycles are staying in the
> workshop till it's all over.

It could get exciting where you live. Take care, hope you escape any damage.

Mike

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> A press release from the Met Office issued about an hour ago says:
>
> "Storm force westerly winds with gusts of 80 to 90 mph are expected
> across northern and eastern England and parts of southern Scotland from
> the early hours of Saturday morning. Northeast England is currently
> considered at greatest risk from the damaging winds. Buildings could be
> damaged and many trees uprooted. Driving conditions will be extremely
> dangerous and the public is advised not to make any journeys unless
> really necessary."
>
> I'm going home to tie the house down. The bicycles are staying in the
> workshop till it's all over.
>
> Colin

Yeah, mine are all safely locked away - and we are in (comparatively)
calm Norfolk. Looks a bit calmer on Sunday, so might get back in the
saddle then.

--
Chris

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> A press release from the Met Office issued about an hour ago says:
> damaged and many trees uprooted. Driving conditions will be extremely
> dangerous

But cycling conditions will be fine?

I asked them to say 'road conditions' instead of 'driving conditions',
and they seem to have been doing this on the BBC lately. Obviously the
message hasn't reached the press release-writers.

> and the public is advised not to make any journeys unless
> really necessary."
> Colin

Likewise

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> A press release from the Met Office issued about an hour ago says:
>
> "Storm force westerly winds with gusts of 80 to 90 mph are expected
> across northern and eastern England and parts of southern Scotland from
> the early hours of Saturday morning. Northeast England is currently
> considered at greatest risk from the damaging winds. Buildings could be
> damaged and many trees uprooted. Driving conditions will be extremely
> dangerous and the public is advised not to make any journeys unless
> really necessary."

Ah well. The commute will be exciting tomorrow then! Perhaps the fear
will clear the drivers off the road, giving me more room to swerve about.

Jon

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
> >
> > A press release from the Met Office issued about an hour ago says:
> >
> > "Storm force westerly winds with gusts of 80 to 90 mph are expected
> > across northern and eastern England and parts of southern Scotland from
> > the early hours of Saturday morning. Northeast England is currently
> > considered at greatest risk from the damaging winds. Buildings could be
> > damaged and many trees uprooted. Driving conditions will be extremely
> > dangerous and the public is advised not to make any journeys unless
> > really necessary."

> Ah well. The commute will be exciting tomorrow then! Perhaps the fear
> will clear the drivers off the road, giving me more room to swerve about.
>
> Jon

I don't know what it's like in your part of the wood,
here in the west of scotland,it's absolutely swirling
here (7.20am),so good luck to you if you are still
planning to go out today.

Mike Smith wrote:

>> I'm going home to tie the house down. The bicycles are staying in the
>> workshop till it's all over.

> It could get exciting where you live. Take care, hope you escape any
> damage.

We lost a weather vane---found it down the road; a blade from a wind
turbine---no idea where that it; and we gained a fair bit of water in
the house. The roof if still on and the workshop is still there, so the
bikes are fine.

Colin

weecrackpot wrote:
> "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ah well. The commute will be exciting tomorrow then! Perhaps the fear
>>will clear the drivers off the road, giving me more room to swerve about.
>>
>>Jon

> I don't know what it's like in your part of the wood,
> here in the west of scotland,it's absolutely swirling
> here (7.20am),so good luck to you if you are still
> planning to go out today.

It was a steady 60mph wind at 7am. 7am was calm compared to 4am.

Colin