Be careful what you pray for...

liveon2wheels

Mar 19, 2009
... you just might get it. When I opened my Indoor Cycling studio, I was praying for a good following and a strong business. Unfortunately, that also translated into less riding time - a job hazard I was not anticipating. I still trained well enough to keep a semblance of a race schedule, and to do one or two epic rides per season, but getting out on a regular basis was just too time consuming - especially in the winter. But today, I couldn't resist - cold as it was, the sun was shining and I just had that urge that I couldn't put down no matter how busy I was. So YES, it took me 30 minutes to get my gear together (even though i knew where it all was), to get the layers right, and then there was the stop and go to navigate to my daughters to then begin the ride in earnest. This is what has held me from doing more rides - the prep before I leave and the first 20 min of getting through traffic to the back roads burns an hour before the good riding/training starts.

But today that didn't matter - I was so happy to be outside riding, I felt like a little kid again. That's going to be my New year's resolution this year - let myself burn a few extra hours in the week and ride some outside. I've got to find balance here.

Reactions: Born2bWild
If the business income is enough you could hire a part time person to come for 3 hours or so either every day, or every other day, while you go out riding. Usually starting a business the first 3 years is extremely important and time consuming, in fact about 95% of all first time businesses fail in that first 3 years. So you may find yourself dedicating a lot more time then you thought you were going to to keep it alive for more then 3 years. Once you get over that 3 year hurdle then you could think about hiring someone part time so you can ride.

I wish your business all the success.

Using a car to get out of city traffic is one possibility. I used to drive 12 miles to save the 45 minutes of low speed riding to get out of town. I would park in our bank parking lot. (Dropping off a bank deposit made the drive a business expense at $.50/mile.)

30 minutes is too long to get dressed and going. I used to get out of bed and on my bike in 10 minutes. But I was young and rode everyday. Riding everyday makes getting dressed a lot more routine.

Thanks for the encouragement Froze. Good ideas too - but like everything, I have to make a conscious effort to "get some of my life back" - and yes, it will come. Thanks again.