Be still my speeding heart

On Apr 17, 6:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 17, 1:06 pm, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The latest Cycle Sport has an interview with Remy DiGregorio, from the
> > > Francaise de Jeux pro team, who says that he almost never races or
> > > trains with a heart monitor or computer.  If you don't need to know
> > > your heart rate to solo off the front wire to wire in a Dauphine
> > > stage, you certainly don't need it to ride around the block.

> > One thing wrong with this rose-tinted picture. You aren't Remy
> > DiGregorio,  and you will never be: you'll never "solo off the front
> > wire to wire in a Dauphine stage". -- AJ

> Perhaps not, but I will ride around the block.  And I won't do it with
> my eyes glued to my heart rate monitor listening intently for it to
> beep telling me to slow down.  Somehow, I might even enjoy the
> experience of being on the bike.

"With my eyes glued to my heart rate monitor listening intently for it
beep" -- do you listen with your eyes? That's some trick!

On Apr 17, 6:46 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 17, 12:18 pm, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > And here I thought that the scientific method had something to do with
> > > actually testing a hypothesis rather than trying to infer the answer
> > > from someone else's tests on a potentially unrelated sample group.

> > I can understand why you're "Unforgiven" and very probably
> > unforgivable. You just don't pay attention when people speak. If the
> > hypothesis is, "The mean (more likely median) heart rate of Everyman
> > differs by gender and by age brackets." then the correct scientific
> > method is to investigate a sample from the universe, divided
> > proportionately to each sub-universe by gender and age. No "inference"
> > is required because the answer is directly to the point of the
> > question. If someone else has done the work, and it is statistically
> > sound, who do it again? It is childish to point out the tautological
> > truth that tests might be on "a potentially unrelated sample group" --
> > do you really think that I didn't enquire closely into the sample
> > group? (More pointedly, that you behave like an idiot is no reason for
> > assuming the rest of us do.) If the sample group is determined to be
> > the right one, than the dumb debater's "potential" sampling error is
> > just that, a numbingly dumb debating trick. Even electrical engineers
> > are smarter than to try such kindergarten tricks when there are adults
> > around .Beyond these jerk-up stupidities in the single paragraph
> > above, you offer no facts, no argument, nothing, just your McCarthyite
> > suspicion of "potential" sampling error. You're wasting my time.

> > Andre Jute
> > Deeply disappointed

> If the mean is the hypothesis.  If the question is maximum heart rate
> for an individual, you either test it or you make up excuses not to.

You really are mindlessly intent on having the last word. The median
in the age/gender subuniverse is the question for the individual as a
first approximation for his individual MHR; there is no conflict
between the concepts. You're the only one making excuses -- for not
having your mind in gear.

Are we nearly done yet?

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html