Beach Camping

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Shaw, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Richard Shaw

    Richard Shaw Guest

    This is a bit of a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone in this corner of
    usenet knows about the legality of camping on beaches. I'm planning a bit
    of a trip for over the summer, probably down into Cornwall, and am not sure
    about the possibilities of this.

    Cheers,
    Richard

    Tags:

  2. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:50:04 +0000, Richard Shaw
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is a bit of a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone in this corner of
    >usenet knows about the legality of camping on beaches. I'm planning a bit
    >of a trip for over the summer, probably down into Cornwall, and am not sure
    >about the possibilities of this.

    Just make sure you pitch at low tide so you don't get your feet wet.

  3. Mike Clark

    Mike Clark Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    Richard Shaw <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This is a bit of a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone in this
    > corner of usenet knows about the legality of camping on beaches. I'm
    > planning a bit of a trip for over the summer, probably down into
    > Cornwall, and am not sure about the possibilities of this.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Richard

    The land between low and high tide level is usually owned by the Crown I
    believe but its a bit problamatic for camping anway! Land above high
    tide level is almost certainly usually in private ownership (Duchy of
    Cornwall and also the National Trust own a lot of the coastline of
    Cornwall) and so you would need the permission of the landowner to camp.
    As far as I recall, many of the popular beaches and coves in Cornwall
    are also subject to local bye-laws that probably restrict camping and
    lighting of fires etc.

    There are plenty of small farm run campsites in Cornwall so it might be
    worth considering using these.

    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

  4. Steve Jones

    Steve Jones Guest

    Richard Shaw <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This is a bit of a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone in this corner of
    > usenet knows about the legality of camping on beaches. I'm planning a bit
    > of a trip for over the summer, probably down into Cornwall, and am not sure
    > about the possibilities of this.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Richard

    Beaches can look tempting and idylic, but there can be several
    drawbacks:
    The private ownership / byelaws have been touched upon, also -
    You obviously have to find a spot above high water, which will consist
    of dry sand which is soft and won't hold pegs well.
    You can use rocks, but they will need to be tethered well as beaches
    are almost always windy and your tent will likely be flapping around.
    Probably the worst thing on a beach is the sand, it may feel soft to
    lie on, but every time you enter the tent you will be dragging some in
    with you and before you know it, there's sand everywhere, in your
    sleeping bag and your food. You also dont have facilities to wash it
    off.
    All in all, camping on a site on grassland has a lot to recommend it.

    Steve