Beach Road (Warning)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MikeyOz, May 15, 2007.

  1. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I know a few people at least on here ride Beach Rd quite often and for anybody else reading be on the look-out

    Whilst riding back from Frankston on Sunday morning, brother and I were single file, me in front, we had a full bottle of water "flung" at us from a car heading in the other direction. I was down on the dropbars and it just missed by head and somehow unbelieveably hit the front fork of my brothers bike, instead of his spokes and he managed to keep it upright.

    So no damage done, however I chatted to someone else this morning on North Rd and apparently they had a very similar incident on said sunday morning.

    All I know about the car was that it was a White Hatchback (possibly Corolla) but I will be looking out for it, next time.

    Tags:

  2. The Double Zero

    The Double Zero New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    Had an incident happen on the Great Ocean road on the way to Lorne, only it was raw eggs being hurled at us.
    Unbelieveable as to what people will do to us for no real reason whatsoever.

  3. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    was the first time my brother has had anything hurled at him, freaked him out quite a bit..... unfortunately not my first time.... sure it won't be the last either... 1 step closer to getting that camera

    "Troglodytes"

  4. On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:23:52 +1000, MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know a few people at least on here ride Beach Rd quite often and for
    > anybody else reading be on the look-out
    >
    > Whilst riding back from Frankston on Sunday morning, brother and I were
    > single file, me in front, we had a full bottle of water "flung" at us
    > from a car heading in the other direction. I was down on the dropbars
    > and it just missed by head and somehow unbelieveably hit the front fork
    > of my brothers bike, instead of his spokes and he managed to keep it
    > upright.
    >
    > So no damage done, however I chatted to someone else this morning on
    > North Rd and apparently they had a very similar incident on said sunday
    > morning.
    >
    > All I know about the car was that it was a White Hatchback (possibly
    > Corolla) but I will be looking out for it, next time.

    Even though no damage was done, report it to the Police.

  5. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    Yep, gutless wonders at work but they sh&t themselves when they realise there's a red light in front of them and you're closing in on them, especially if there's a few in the pack.

  6. dgarry

    dgarry New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2005
    I had a little red Hyundai Getz throw some stuff out the window of the car on the same stretch of road recently .. I couldn't catch up with them but I got their number plate and reported them to the EPA for littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..

  7. Munro

    Munro New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2003
    Had the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago and fell off. I got the rego number, reported it to the police along with averbal damages claim and 6 months later got a cheque from the guy for $1500.

    Ahhh.. sweet justice

  8. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    On May 17, 8:35 am, dgarry <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..

    yes.. and talking on the phone whilst driving is illegal, as is not
    indicating, stopping in a no stopping zone, driving in a transit lane
    without the right number of people etc.etc..

    but will they get prosecuted?

  9. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    it makes an unpleasant change from tacks. tell the Police though.

  10. coppershark

    coppershark New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    The point is that in Victoria you can dob in to the EPA anyone who throws something from a car, it is classed as littering and the registered owner gets the fine, irrespective of whether the driver or a passenger did the offence.

    As long as you manager to get the numberplate details get onto the EPA Vic website and fill out a report including date and time, then the driver gets an infringement in the mail. You must be prepared to give evidence in court if the driver disputes the charge however but I would guess that most of the time the driver does not contest it.

    Mike

  11. On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:35:37 +1000, dgarry wrote:

    > I had a little red Hyundai Getz throw some stuff out the window of the
    > car on the same stretch of road recently .. I couldn't catch up with
    > them but I got their number plate and reported them to the EPA for
    > littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..

    Would your word be enough for a conviction if they chose to fight it?

  12. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    show the court the trash, the busted bike, the scars and the med bills...plus a bit of helmet cam footage.... EPA might even decide bike riders are good for their business outcomes and give us a sponsorship for discounts on helmet cams!!! woohoo.

  13. On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:49:21 +1000, rooman wrote:

    > show the court the trash, the busted bike, the scars and the med
    > bills...plus a bit of helmet cam footage....

    Absolutely, if you had footage or witnesses. I just wondered whether
    one person's word is enough. IWHT not, else you could ruin anyone
    anyone you had a grudge against.

  14. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-05-19, Michael Warner (aka Bruce)
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:49:21 +1000, rooman wrote:
    >
    >> show the court the trash, the busted bike, the scars and the med
    >> bills...plus a bit of helmet cam footage....

    > Absolutely, if you had footage or witnesses. I just wondered whether
    > one person's word is enough. IWHT not, else you could ruin anyone
    > anyone you had a grudge against.

    That sounds like a plan!

    I saw John Howard driving erratically last night, 40km/h over the
    speed limit, throwing eggs at random road users.

    --
    TimC
    And for the important things in life:

  15. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    That's nothing, I've been informed that the entire federal govmint frontbench have been doing 'adult version' conga lines in a certain Melbourne nightclub with staff from US & Chinese embassies. For favours too.

  16. On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:35:16 +1000, TimC wrote:

    > I saw John Howard driving erratically last night, 40km/h over the
    > speed limit, throwing eggs at random road users.

    Now I know you're making it up. He prefers to power walk and throw
    white pickets.

  17. coppershark

    coppershark New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004

  18. On Mon, 21 May 2007 08:27:29 +1000, coppershark wrote:

    > In the Courts the Magistrate/Judge and Jury listens to the evidence
    > then decides who is most believable, the accused or the witnesses for
    > the prosecution.

    > So, dress conservatively and state your case as clearly as you can.
    > Judges have a lot of experience at determining which of the parties is
    > telling porkies!

    Ok, you wear a suit, they wear a suit, you say they threw X out of the car,
    they say they didn't. There are no witnesses, and no evidence that the X
    you produce in court belonged to them. How could anyone possibly be
    convicted on that basis?

  19. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Amen.... that Judge Judy could see through Marget Thatchers Iron Undies. But then again some of those people she gets in the court, even I can tell which ones are lying.

  20. coppershark

    coppershark New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004