Beach sand drivetrain and brake alternatives

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Stocker, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    Hi All,

    I will be participating in a race this summer with a long stretch on the beach (X-Terra
    Netherlands). This race was none to nice on my bike last year. Salty sand gummed up my (V) brakes
    and put both derailleurs out of action. I effectively spent most of the bike leg on a single
    speed with horrid brake drag. To make matters worse, it was a single pivot FS rig.

    I was thinking of ways around these problems this year. For one, I will be using my (rigid)
    beater bike. For the sticky sand problem, I believe my options are:

    Drivetrain-
    1) Spray everything down with cooking oil. This works for mud, but with wet salty beach sand?
    2) Go to an internal gear hub. A Rohloff is a bit pricey for one afternoon. Plus one motive is to
    preserve my XT stuff, not switch to an even more expensive setup. I can't justify the cost of a
    new Shimano nexus, but perhaps one can be had cheap on ebay. Another option would be a
    Sturmey-Archer or SRAM three-speed in 135mm if they exist.

    Brakes-
    3) Remove the V-brakes and just run with an Avid mechanical disc in the front. This race is not
    exactly a braking intensive environment (the difficulty lies in staying in motion), so I think
    front only is fine. Plus it is an excuse to switch away from rim brakes on the beater, which
    tows a child trailer 364 days a year.
    4) Remove the V-brakes and switch to a Coaster brake! Especially if combined with a cheap internal
    gear hub in 135 mm.

    So is there such a thing a cheap internal gear hub with coaster brake in 135mm? I am not worried
    about durability. It only has to last twenty miles (OK, plus a couple of training rides).

    Thanks, Dave

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Dave Stocker wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I will be participating in a race this summer with a long stretch on the beach (X-Terra
    > Netherlands). This race was none to nice on my bike last year. Salty sand gummed up my (V)
    > brakes and put both derailleurs out of action. I effectively spent most of the bike leg on a
    > single speed with horrid brake drag. To make matters worse, it was a single pivot FS rig.
    >
    > I was thinking of ways around these problems this year. For one, I will be using my (rigid)
    > beater bike. For the sticky sand problem, I believe my options are:
    >
    > Drivetrain-
    > 1) Spray everything down with cooking oil. This works for mud, but with wet salty beach sand?

    Not really.

    > 2) Go to an internal gear hub. A Rohloff is a bit pricey for one afternoon. Plus one motive is
    > to preserve my XT stuff, not switch to an even more expensive setup. I can't justify the cost
    > of a new Shimano nexus, but perhaps one can be had cheap on ebay. Another option would be a
    > Sturmey-Archer or SRAM three-speed in 135mm if they exist.

    Any of these might be a good solution. However, if the beach is flat and the wind consistent, why do
    you even need more than one gear? For that matter, do you even need a freewheel (vs. a fixed gear)?
    I ride in Myrtle Beach a lot, which is quite flat, however the wind usually blows one way. In that
    case, a flip-flop hub with an upwind gear on one side, and a downwind gear on the other would work
    fine. In fact, it would be perfect, so I'm thinking of building up a fixed gear, flip-flop hub beach
    bike to leave at my sister's house, for when I visit.

    > Brakes-
    > 1) Remove the V-brakes and just run with an Avid mechanical disc in the front. This race is not
    > exactly a braking intensive environment (the difficulty lies in staying in motion), so I
    > think front only is fine.

    Sure, why not.

    > Plus it is an excuse to switch away from rim brakes on the beater, which tows a child trailer 364
    > days a year.

    All rim brakes do is grind down your rims on the beach.

    > 2) Remove the V-brakes and switch to a Coaster brake! Especially if combined with a cheap
    > internal gear hub in 135 mm.

    No problem, as long as you can get the gearing you need. A standard, cheapo, "beach cruiser" rear
    wheel would do you fine. I don't know if you can change sprockets, but you should be able to juggle
    chainrings to get the gearing you need.

    > So is there such a thing a cheap internal gear hub with coaster brake in 135mm? I am not worried
    > about durability. It only has to last twenty miles (OK, plus a couple of training rides).

    Shimano Nexus hubs come with coaster brakes, roller brakes, or brakeless. I don't know about old
    SA or Sachs hubs, but IIRC, some of the SA ones had coaster brakes too -- particularly the
    "kickback" models.

    Good luck, and happy tinkering.

    Matt O.

  3. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Dave,

    For sand and salt you might try a drive shaft bicycle as seen at

    Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I will be participating in a race this summer with a long stretch on
    the
    > beach (X-Terra Netherlands). This race was none to nice on my bike last year. Salty sand gummed up
    > my (V) brakes and put both derailleurs out of action. I effectively spent most of the bike leg on
    > a single speed with horrid brake drag. To make matters worse, it was a single pivot FS rig.

  4. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I will be participating in a race this summer with a long stretch on the beach (X-Terra
    > Netherlands). This race was none to nice on my bike last year. Salty sand gummed up my (V)
    > brakes and put both derailleurs out of action. I effectively spent most of the bike leg on a
    > single speed with horrid brake drag. To make matters worse, it was a single pivot FS rig.
    <snip>
    > 2) Go to an internal gear hub...I can't justify the cost of a new Shimano nexus, but perhaps one
    > can be had cheap on ebay. Another option would be a Sturmey-Archer or SRAM three-speed in
    > 135mm if they exist.

    IME the Shimano Nexus 7 is noticeably less efficient than a derailleur system or other gearhubs. The
    Sachs/SRAM 7 speed is much more comparable to a derailleur system efficiency-wise. Either of them
    are available with drum or coaster brake.

    Stick to the 4, 5, or 7 speed hubs if you are to use 135 spacing. You'll still need horizontal
    dropouts; a chain tensioner doesn't seem like a good idea in this application and can't be used with
    a coaster brake at all.

    > 1) Remove the V-brakes and just run with an Avid mechanical disc in the front. This race is not
    > exactly a braking intensive environment (the difficulty lies in staying in motion), so I
    > think front only is fine.

    Drum front brake is another option that might not cost as much. Check out a local used-bike
    resource, if you have one available. If you go eBaying for one, your best bet is a Sachs/SRAM or
    Sturmey Archer unit, or a Shimano roller brake hub.

    Chalo Colina

  5. Markanium

    Markanium Guest

    Try cleaning ALL the oil off of your drive train, dry completely then apply White Lightning
    sel-cleaning wax lubricant. I ride the beach and sand all the time with this lube and nothing sticks
    to it. Only downside is that you have to keep re-applying every other ride or so. Make sure you get
    all the old oil off first. Oil is like a dirt and sand magnet.