Beaches and water and a touch of summer.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Just thought that I'd mention that I had a great ride yesterday.

    Some roads, some small hills, some downhill. Nothing like having lunch
    sitting on a beach with golden sand, backed by rolling hills covered in
    pines, calm blue water. A catamaran moored at the slipway, gently bobbing up
    and down just offshore. The peaceful creak of the mooring ropes carrying
    across the water. Little crinkly green, rocky points jutting into the ocean
    either side of the small inlet. A couple of attractive, slim, blonde,
    bikini-clad English girls with a sea kayak to talk to.....

    Then a big, 1 hour long, smooth hill climb after lunch that left me sweating
    profusely in the humid heat before the reward of the big downhill to cool me
    off. Six kilometres of road before getting back home to a frosty cold beer.
    Nice. Just under 40km all up.
    --
    Westie
    (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > Just thought that I'd mention that I had a great ride yesterday.
    >
    > Some roads, some small hills, some downhill. Nothing like having lunch
    > sitting on a beach with golden sand, backed by rolling hills covered in
    > pines, calm blue water. A catamaran moored at the slipway, gently bobbing up
    > and down just offshore. The peaceful creak of the mooring ropes carrying
    > across the water. Little crinkly green, rocky points jutting into the ocean
    > either side of the small inlet. A couple of attractive, slim, blonde,
    > bikini-clad English girls with a sea kayak to talk to.....

    Attractive and English girls in the same sentence?

    > Then a big, 1 hour long, smooth hill climb after lunch that left me sweating
    > profusely in the humid heat before the reward of the big downhill to cool me
    > off. Six kilometres of road before getting back home to a frosty cold beer.
    > Nice. Just under 40km all up.

    Damn you Kiwis for getting the good stuff when it's all cold, clammy,
    wet, and crappy here!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Westie wrote:
    >> Just thought that I'd mention that I had a great ride yesterday.
    >>
    >> Some roads, some small hills, some downhill. Nothing like having
    >> lunch sitting on a beach with golden sand, backed by rolling hills
    >> covered in pines, calm blue water. A catamaran moored at the
    >> slipway, gently bobbing up and down just offshore. The peaceful
    >> creak of the mooring ropes carrying across the water. Little crinkly
    >> green, rocky points jutting into the ocean either side of the small
    >> inlet. A couple of attractive, slim, blonde, bikini-clad English
    >> girls with a sea kayak to talk to.....

    > Attractive and English girls in the same sentence?
    >

    >> Then a big, 1 hour long, smooth hill climb after lunch that left me
    >> sweating profusely in the humid heat before the reward of the big
    >> downhill to cool me off. Six kilometres of road before getting back
    >> home to a frosty cold beer. Nice. Just under 40km all up.

    > Damn you Kiwis for getting the good stuff when it's all cold, clammy,
    > wet, and crappy here!

    We get the good stuff out west now as well (up over?). Come to think about
    it....it's around 75°F and I'm getting ready to ride. You'll be here soon
    enough!

    Gary

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    GeeDubb wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >>Westie wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just thought that I'd mention that I had a great ride yesterday.
    >>>
    >>>Some roads, some small hills, some downhill. Nothing like having
    >>>lunch sitting on a beach with golden sand, backed by rolling hills
    >>>covered in pines, calm blue water. A catamaran moored at the
    >>>slipway, gently bobbing up and down just offshore. The peaceful
    >>>creak of the mooring ropes carrying across the water. Little crinkly
    >>>green, rocky points jutting into the ocean either side of the small
    >>>inlet. A couple of attractive, slim, blonde, bikini-clad English
    >>>girls with a sea kayak to talk to.....

    >>Attractive and English girls in the same sentence?
    >>

    >>>Then a big, 1 hour long, smooth hill climb after lunch that left me
    >>>sweating profusely in the humid heat before the reward of the big
    >>>downhill to cool me off. Six kilometres of road before getting back
    >>>home to a frosty cold beer. Nice. Just under 40km all up.

    >>Damn you Kiwis for getting the good stuff when it's all cold, clammy,
    >>wet, and crappy here!

    > We get the good stuff out west now as well (up over?). Come to think about
    > it....it's around 75°F and I'm getting ready to ride. You'll be here soon
    > enough!
    >
    > Gary

    Don't tempt me, I might leave tonight! BTW, I got in on a Sonoran night
    rides with one of the LBS's on Wednesday (when I arrive - who needs sleep).

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Westie wrote:
    >> Just thought that I'd mention that I had a great ride yesterday.
    >> ...A couple of attractive, slim, blonde, bikini-clad English
    >> girls with a sea kayak to talk to.....

    > Attractive and English girls in the same sentence?

    Yes. Now we know where all the attractive English girls are, since they
    aren't in England.

    > Damn you Kiwis for getting the good stuff when it's all cold, clammy,
    > wet, and crappy here!

    Just remember that when the temperatures start to warm up again and the sun
    comes out. I'll be hunkering down for a cold, wet winter by then.
    --
    Westie
    (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  6. "Westie" <R[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just thought that I'd mention that I had a great ride yesterday.
    >
    > Some roads, some small hills, some downhill. Nothing like having lunch
    > sitting on a beach with golden sand, backed by rolling hills covered in
    > pines, calm blue water. A catamaran moored at the slipway, gently bobbing

    up
    > and down just offshore. The peaceful creak of the mooring ropes carrying
    > across the water. Little crinkly green, rocky points jutting into the

    ocean
    > either side of the small inlet. A couple of attractive, slim, blonde,
    > bikini-clad English girls with a sea kayak to talk to.....
    >
    > Then a big, 1 hour long, smooth hill climb after lunch that left me

    sweating
    > profusely in the humid heat before the reward of the big downhill to cool

    me
    > off. Six kilometres of road before getting back home to a frosty cold

    beer.
    > Nice. Just under 40km all up.
    > --

    Thanks for that.
    <looks out at the gloomy miserable grey sky>

    Bastard.

    Steve.

  7. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    > Don't tempt me, I might leave tonight! BTW, I got in on a Sonoran
    > night rides with one of the LBS's on Wednesday (when I arrive - who
    > needs sleep).

    Which shop and where? I just got my light batteries re-built so I'd be up
    for that. Of course with Kitchen Clearance!

    Went out for about 1-1/2 hours last night. Little windy but still 71°F when
    I got home at 6 p.m. It's raining now and 54°F at 7 a.m. Temp next
    Thursday is supposed to be back up around 80°F so you're in for some great
    weather.

    Gary

  8. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    GeeDubb wrote:
    >>Don't tempt me, I might leave tonight! BTW, I got in on a Sonoran
    >>night rides with one of the LBS's on Wednesday (when I arrive - who
    >>needs sleep).

    > Which shop and where? I just got my light batteries re-built so I'd be up
    > for that. Of course with Kitchen Clearance!
    >
    > Went out for about 1-1/2 hours last night. Little windy but still 71°F when
    > I got home at 6 p.m. It's raining now and 54°F at 7 a.m. Temp next
    > Thursday is supposed to be back up around 80°F so you're in for some great
    > weather.
    >
    > Gary

    Excellent news about the weather. It's actually supposed to be 70 here
    this weekend.

    It's the shop I'm renting the bike from (supposedly a litespeed FS):

    Spokesman Bike Shop
    29605 N. Cave Creek Rd.
    SE Corner of Tatum & Cave Creek
    (480) 342-9200

    Wednesday Night Rides
    Union Hills Loop. Ride Leaves 7:30 PM Sharp from Shop.
    Call Shop for info. Bring your lights... (480) 342-9200

    The trailhead is across the street from the shop. That's convenient. I
    told the guy I'd bring my lights but he seems to think I would have a
    problem bringing them on the plane and he would lend me a set. Why?
    Are there restrictions against HID's and rechargeable batteries on a
    plane? I'm bringing them anyway cause I'm afraid of the dark :) and I
    doubt the freebies would be HID.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I told the guy I'd bring my lights but he seems to think I would

    have a
    > problem bringing them on the plane and he would lend me a set. Why?
    > Are there restrictions against HID's and rechargeable batteries on a
    > plane? I'm bringing them anyway cause I'm afraid of the dark :) and I
    > doubt the freebies would be HID.

    With the batteries and wires they arouse lots of TSA attention. I
    brought our standard halogen lights on a trip a year ago and attracted
    a bag search, so don't bury them in your luggage.

    Last Christmas we attracted undue attention for 2 bottles of Maple
    Syrup we were carrying, so who knows what else they may flag you for.
    Dave D.

  10. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I told the guy I'd bring my lights but he seems to think I would

    > have a
    >
    >>problem bringing them on the plane and he would lend me a set. Why?
    >>Are there restrictions against HID's and rechargeable batteries on a
    >>plane? I'm bringing them anyway cause I'm afraid of the dark :) and I
    >>doubt the freebies would be HID.

    > With the batteries and wires they arouse lots of TSA attention. I
    > brought our standard halogen lights on a trip a year ago and attracted
    > a bag search, so don't bury them in your luggage.
    >
    > Last Christmas we attracted undue attention for 2 bottles of Maple
    > Syrup we were carrying, so who knows what else they may flag you for.
    > Dave D.

    They search my bag everytime anyway. I carry tons of computer and photo
    equipment in my checked baggage for use at the conferences we run. You
    should see what they make me do at the carry-on check because of my
    photo backback.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  11. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    > Excellent news about the weather. It's actually supposed to be 70
    > here this weekend.
    >
    > It's the shop I'm renting the bike from (supposedly a litespeed FS):
    >
    > Spokesman Bike Shop
    > 29605 N. Cave Creek Rd.
    > SE Corner of Tatum & Cave Creek
    > (480) 342-9200
    >
    > Wednesday Night Rides
    > Union Hills Loop. Ride Leaves 7:30 PM Sharp from Shop.
    > Call Shop for info. Bring your lights... (480) 342-9200
    >
    > The trailhead is across the street from the shop. That's convenient.
    > I told the guy I'd bring my lights but he seems to think I would have
    > a problem bringing them on the plane and he would lend me a set. Why?
    > Are there restrictions against HID's and rechargeable batteries on a
    > plane? I'm bringing them anyway cause I'm afraid of the dark :) and I
    > doubt the freebies would be HID.

    If I didn't already have two sets of lights I'd get a HID set up. I have to
    see what the wife says (damnit) but I'll try and round up a bud (not beer)
    or two for the ride.

    More in a direct email.....

    Gary