Bead on tyre broken

lancs69

Sep 13, 2012
Last week I got my bike out for the usual ride, and discovered a puncture! Thought it was strange I hadn't noticed and thought I must have got it right at the end of my last ride.

Took it to the local bike shop and they put a new inner tube on.

Picked it up from the shop and a couple of miles down the road I notice it feels like there's a massive lump in the tyre!! Took it back to the shop they say the beads broken but it's nothing to do with them!!!

Can this be right???

Surely it's been done by them when they've removed the tyre????

It's possible that it has nothing to do with the work done by the bike shop. Are you sure they said "bead" and not "belt"? When belts break in tires, lumps are created.

Originally Posted by lancs69 .

Yeah he defo said bead, and the tyre looked totally out of line.
How old was the tire and where and how was it stored?

Tires can break down over time when left in the sun or in a hot place or left in a garage or shed near things like pool or household chemicals. If a tire's sidewalls breakdown sufficiently the tire bead can separate. I've seen it happen a few times on tires that were degrading for a variety or reasons and some weren't that old. It's possible that removing and reinstalling the tire accelerated the tire's breakdown but that's still a sign of a very weak tire that's falling apart. Normal use of tire levers to remove a tire should not hurt the bead or sidewalls at all.

Hard to say without seeing the tire before and after the repair but healthy tires do not separate at the bead even if the shop folks were pretty aggressive in their use of tools to change it.

-Dave