Bean and Corn Salad Revisited

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Joneses, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    Whew - I've been taking a cooking siesta for awhile, and boyoboy y'all
    been talking a lot.
    Anyways, I experimented with the Black Bean and Corn Salad idear and
    came up with this. But it might need one extra eensy teensy flavor
    upper. Dunno, I'm open for suggestions. Bacon might be nice.
    It's real pretty! Yellow and bright green and red and loved the
    orange carrot strips. Hominy I think is more digestible than regular
    corn; soy is famous for nutrition.
    Edrena, eating healthier in the new year. Except for oreos.

    Hosoboser
    (Hominy & Soybean Salad on the Border)
    (edamames!)

    1 package (12 oz) frozen shelled soybeans. Cook, drain & cold rinse.
    They will keep their texture.
    1 16 oz. can hominy corn, drained
    2 plum tomatoes, chopped
    1 red pepper, chopped
    3 green onions, chopped
    2 ribs celery, sliced on the bias
    Had 1/2 little package of prepared carrot strips, too.
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    salt & pepper to taste
    Big handful of fresh cilantro, chopped & garnish
    Squirt or two of lime juice

    Mix it all together, better chilled to blend flavors for an hour or
    six. With no other dressing, probably pretty safe to tote for a
    picnic.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue 31 Jan 2006 05:59:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
    Joneses?

    > Whew - I've been taking a cooking siesta for awhile, and boyoboy y'all
    > been talking a lot.
    > Anyways, I experimented with the Black Bean and Corn Salad idear and
    > came up with this. But it might need one extra eensy teensy flavor
    > upper. Dunno, I'm open for suggestions. Bacon might be nice.
    > It's real pretty! Yellow and bright green and red and loved the
    > orange carrot strips. Hominy I think is more digestible than regular
    > corn; soy is famous for nutrition.
    > Edrena, eating healthier in the new year. Except for oreos.
    >
    > Hosoboser
    > (Hominy & Soybean Salad on the Border)
    > (edamames!)
    >
    > 1 package (12 oz) frozen shelled soybeans. Cook, drain & cold rinse.
    > They will keep their texture.
    > 1 16 oz. can hominy corn, drained
    > 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
    > 1 red pepper, chopped
    > 3 green onions, chopped
    > 2 ribs celery, sliced on the bias
    > Had 1/2 little package of prepared carrot strips, too.
    > 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    > 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    > salt & pepper to taste
    > Big handful of fresh cilantro, chopped & garnish
    > Squirt or two of lime juice
    >
    > Mix it all together, better chilled to blend flavors for an hour or
    > six. With no other dressing, probably pretty safe to tote for a
    > picnic.

    Sounds delicious, Edrena! Here's another...

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Bacon-bean Salad

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Side dish Vegetables

    5 Slices bacon, cut into 1"
    -pieces
    3/4 c Coarsely chopped onions
    1 cn (15-oz) lima beans, drained,
    -liquid reserved
    1 cn (15-oz) dark red kidney
    -beans, drained, liquid
    -reserved
    1 cn (15-oz) pinto beans, drained
    -liquid discarded
    1/2 Red pepper, diced
    1/2 Yellow pepper, diced
    1/2 Green pepper, diced
    1 pk (10-oz) frozen corn
    1 Stalk celery, cut diagonally
    1 cn (14-1/2-oz) Italian plum
    -tomatoes, drained, chopped
    1/4 c Honey
    3 tb Cider vinegar
    2 ts Ground cumin
    2 ts Oregano, crumbled
    2 ts Dry mustard
    1 t Salt
    Freshly ground pepper

    Cook bacon until crisp. Remove, set aside; add onions; cook over low
    heat until limp, but not browned. Remove, set aside; add peppers; cook
    over low heat until tender but still crisp. Remove from heat. Blend
    bean liquids in bowl; measure 1 cup and stir into onions, along with
    honey, vinegar and seasonings. Add bacon and remaining ingredients;
    stir to combine. Turn mixture into 3-quart casserole and bake at 350
    degrees F., covered, until just heated through. Serve slightly warm.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Tue 31 Jan 2006 05:59:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
    > Joneses?
    >
    > Clipped the Hosoboser
    > > (Hominy & Soybean Salad on the Border)
    > > (edamames!)
    > >

    > Sounds delicious, Edrena! Here's another...
    >
    > Clipped the
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    > Bacon-bean Salad
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > BIOYA

    BIOYA?
    MMmmmm. Beans & bacon! I know - I'll chop up some fresh jalapenyos.
    Edrena

  4. On Tue 31 Jan 2006 08:34:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
    Joneses?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 05:59:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
    >> Joneses?
    >>
    >> Clipped the Hosoboser
    >> > (Hominy & Soybean Salad on the Border)
    >> > (edamames!)
    >> >

    >> Sounds delicious, Edrena! Here's another...
    >>
    >> Clipped the
    >> * Exported from MasterCook *
    >> Bacon-bean Salad
    >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    >> BIOYA

    > BIOYA?

    Blow it out your [email protected]#

    > MMmmmm. Beans & bacon! I know - I'll chop up some fresh jalapenyos.
    > Edrena

    That sounds like a great addition! I'm going to note that in my recipe.
    Thanks!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    BIOYA