Beans for 120 - dry vs. cooked

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Guest
I'm in charge of a dinner for 120 and one of the things I'm considering
serving is a non-soupy version of pasta e fagioli, aka "Pasta Fazool".

(I don't know yet, because I will have to see what the food bank has.
It's one of those things. But they usually have canned tomatoes.)

I know what dry-to-serving size is for the noodles, but am wondering if
some kind rfc person knows, or can point me towards a website, that tells
me something along the lines of:

one lb. dry navy beans == 8 cups cooked

for various sorts of beans.

If I know "cooked yield" in volume per #, I can wing the rest of my
"recipe". (Mind you, if anyone has a good one already worked up for large
quantities, I'm all ears.)

Many thanks,

Charlotte
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

--

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:03:43 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

>I'm in charge of a dinner for 120 and one of the things I'm considering
>serving is a non-soupy version of pasta e fagioli, aka "Pasta Fazool".
>
>(I don't know yet, because I will have to see what the food bank has.
>It's one of those things. But they usually have canned tomatoes.)
>
>I know what dry-to-serving size is for the noodles, but am wondering if
>some kind rfc person knows, or can point me towards a website, that tells
>me something along the lines of:
>
>one lb. dry navy beans == 8 cups cooked
>
>for various sorts of beans.
>
>If I know "cooked yield" in volume per #, I can wing the rest of my
>"recipe". (Mind you, if anyone has a good one already worked up for large
>quantities, I'm all ears.)
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Charlotte
>http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

I have a book called "Bean Power" and it states that
1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dry = 5 -6 cups cooked.
--
Susan N.

The Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:03:43 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
>(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>
>>I'm in charge of a dinner for 120 and one of the things I'm considering
>>serving is a non-soupy version of pasta e fagioli, aka "Pasta Fazool".
>>
>>(I don't know yet, because I will have to see what the food bank has.
>>It's one of those things. But they usually have canned tomatoes.)
>>
>>I know what dry-to-serving size is for the noodles, but am wondering if
>>some kind rfc person knows, or can point me towards a website, that tells
>>me something along the lines of:
>>
>>one lb. dry navy beans == 8 cups cooked
>>
>>for various sorts of beans.
>>
>>If I know "cooked yield" in volume per #, I can wing the rest of my
>>"recipe". (Mind you, if anyone has a good one already worked up for large
>>quantities, I'm all ears.)
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>
>>Charlotte
>>http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

>I have a book called "Bean Power" and it states that
>1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dry = 5 -6 cups cooked.

Many thanks!

As it happened, the Food Bank must have known I had this in mind ...
because there were cartons of cans of cooked cannellini beans!!

(AND noodles. AND sausage. The only thing I had to get at costco was the
tomato sauce ingredients.)

Charlotte