Beans for 120 - dry vs. cooked

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Charlotte L. Blackmer, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. I'm in charge of a dinner for 120 and one of the things I'm considering
    serving is a non-soupy version of pasta e fagioli, aka "Pasta Fazool".

    (I don't know yet, because I will have to see what the food bank has.
    It's one of those things. But they usually have canned tomatoes.)

    I know what dry-to-serving size is for the noodles, but am wondering if
    some kind rfc person knows, or can point me towards a website, that tells
    me something along the lines of:

    one lb. dry navy beans == 8 cups cooked

    for various sorts of beans.

    If I know "cooked yield" in volume per #, I can wing the rest of my
    "recipe". (Mind you, if anyone has a good one already worked up for large
    quantities, I'm all ears.)

    Many thanks,

    Charlotte
    http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

  2. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:03:43 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

    >I'm in charge of a dinner for 120 and one of the things I'm considering
    >serving is a non-soupy version of pasta e fagioli, aka "Pasta Fazool".
    >
    >(I don't know yet, because I will have to see what the food bank has.
    >It's one of those things. But they usually have canned tomatoes.)
    >
    >I know what dry-to-serving size is for the noodles, but am wondering if
    >some kind rfc person knows, or can point me towards a website, that tells
    >me something along the lines of:
    >
    >one lb. dry navy beans == 8 cups cooked
    >
    >for various sorts of beans.
    >
    >If I know "cooked yield" in volume per #, I can wing the rest of my
    >"recipe". (Mind you, if anyone has a good one already worked up for large
    >quantities, I'm all ears.)
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >
    >Charlotte
    >http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

    I have a book called "Bean Power" and it states that
    1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dry = 5 -6 cups cooked.
    --
    Susan N.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:03:43 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    >(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
    >
    >>I'm in charge of a dinner for 120 and one of the things I'm considering
    >>serving is a non-soupy version of pasta e fagioli, aka "Pasta Fazool".
    >>
    >>(I don't know yet, because I will have to see what the food bank has.
    >>It's one of those things. But they usually have canned tomatoes.)
    >>
    >>I know what dry-to-serving size is for the noodles, but am wondering if
    >>some kind rfc person knows, or can point me towards a website, that tells
    >>me something along the lines of:
    >>
    >>one lb. dry navy beans == 8 cups cooked
    >>
    >>for various sorts of beans.
    >>
    >>If I know "cooked yield" in volume per #, I can wing the rest of my
    >>"recipe". (Mind you, if anyone has a good one already worked up for large
    >>quantities, I'm all ears.)
    >>
    >>Many thanks,
    >>
    >>Charlotte
    >>http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

    >I have a book called "Bean Power" and it states that
    >1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dry = 5 -6 cups cooked.

    Many thanks!

    As it happened, the Food Bank must have known I had this in mind ...
    because there were cartons of cans of cooked cannellini beans!!

    (AND noodles. AND sausage. The only thing I had to get at costco was the
    tomato sauce ingredients.)

    Charlotte