Bear

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by leo, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. leo

    leo Guest

    Bad news...
    The entry for "'Bear' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear)" on
    wikipedia, now contains the word unicycle.

    --
    leo

    leo vandewoestijne
    *'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

    'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
    'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  2. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  3. olarf

    olarf Guest

    why is it bad ?

    Aren't there many unicycling bears in the Netherlands ?
    Here in Germany all bears could not read and so theay also couldn't
    read those laws against unicycling Bears.
    How ever, it must be two weeks ago when I saw the last group of arround
    10 Bears on unicycles passing our village (maybe while training for the
    Laos Tour)

    I think they would going crazy if they could catch a set of Munis some
    days :)

    --
    olarf

    visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
    olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

  4. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  5. habbywall

    habbywall Guest

    why were you looking at the wikipedia entry for bear, and where is it in
    there?
    under what section?

    --
    habbywall

    'Nick.Jantz' (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com)
    Most Replys: 'page 3000!!' (http://tinyurl.com/cy3vc)
    PM about advertising here!
    kristine did it! you should too!
    '\"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

  6. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    This reminded me of a 'joke' that I heard from a friend the other day. I
    laughed even though it may be cruel, but we don't have bears around
    here and I'm wary of them when we go camping out of state
    (TN,SC,NC,GA,MI,ME,etc.)

    Q: "How do you teach a bear to ride a unicycle/bicycle?"

    A: "You nail it's feet to the pedals and beat it with a stick."

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  7. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    habbywall wrote:
    > why were you looking at the wikipedia entry for bear, and where is it in
    > there?
    > under what section?

    can't answer your first question, but its under Other, and it says

    Laws have been passed in many areas of the world to protect bears from
    hunters or habitat destruction. Bears in captivity used to be trained
    to dance, box, or unicycle, but it is now controversial to use animals
    in this way.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    mikael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  8. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    They also tend to live a bit longer in captivity.

    ....must be all that unicycling/juggling exercise :rolleyes:...

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  9. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  10. burjzyntski wrote:
    > This reminded me of a 'joke' that I heard from a friend the other day. I
    > laughed even though it may be cruel, but we don't have bears around
    > here and I'm wary of them when we go camping out of state
    > (TN,SC,NC,GA,MI,ME,etc.)
    >
    > Q: "How do you teach a bear to ride a unicycle/bicycle?"

    > A: "You nail it's feet to the pedals and beat it with a stick."

    that made me laugh so hard

    --
    tyler_cochrane

    carpe diem - seize the day
    tyler_cochrane's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10997

  11. lleberg wrote:
    > Soon we'll take over the world!

    are you talking of bears or of unicyclists ?
    (well in both cases I am on the winning ticket:D )

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    habbywall wrote:
    > why were you looking at the wikipedia entry for bear, and where is it in
    > there?

    Click the link, search the page. It's under "other."

    From the pattern of Leo's posts, he obviously searches the Web for
    occurances of the word "unicycle" or similar words. It's a word that
    shows up in some really interesting places!

    But...

    I don't think a bear has ever ridden a unicycle. In all my years
    involved with this sport, I have never seen a photo or read a written
    account of a bear riding a unicycle. I have seen a bear ride a tricycle
    (in the Moscow Circus in NY) and I can picture a bear balancing a bike.
    But their hind legs are pretty short and bears are not known as
    balancers. They're great climbers, but I haven't seen much where they
    balance themselves.

    I have seen an elephant walk on a rolling globe, which was one of the
    most amazing feats of (trained) animal skill I've witnessed.

    Wobbling Bear? You're a cartoon, so you still count. Any comment?

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  13. leo

    leo Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > From the pattern of Leo's posts, he obviously searches the Web for
    > occurances of the word "unicycle" or similar words. It's a word that
    > shows up in some really interesting places!

    Correct, I've finaly fixed that announced kind of webbot for it. Soon it
    will be running on an unicycle-website (have'nt made up my mind which
    place should be the best), so that everybody can browse the results.

    But the amount of results is about 90 articles a day, so some selective
    moderating is desired. Especially when I'm not online for a day, or
    two, or three...

    The very 1st person I showed it to, made 1 single click and hit an
    article on unicyclists that were practicing half a mile from his house,
    of who he did'nt know at all...!

    johnfoss wrote:
    > I don't think a bear has ever ridden a unicycle.

    I've seen 2 monkeys riding unicycles. And I have seen them performing
    many many shows. So now I regret I've never filmed it.

    They were from France.... is UNICON also open for non-human
    competitors?

    johnfoss wrote:
    > I have seen an elephant walk on a rolling globe, which was one of the
    > most amazing feats of (trained) animal skill I've witnessed.

    Especially when knowing how much fear elephants have for falling!

    --
    leo

    leo vandewoestijne
    *'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

    'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
    'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  14. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

  15. olarf

    olarf Guest

    Seems realy to be a legend at all.

    There are many Books and Storys about those unicycling Bears and also a
    lot of paintings and teddys but not one real picture or story about a
    bear doing that. They always ride on things where they can place their
    Hands :)
    [image: http://www.neunzehnzoll.de/images/bear.jpg]

    I'm more or less sure now that bears are not able to ride a uni even if
    there are a lot of legends arround that fact :)

    --
    olarf

    visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
    olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

  16. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    leo wrote:
    > I've seen 2 monkeys riding unicycles. And I have seen them performing
    > many many shows. So now I regret I've never filmed it.

    I've seen chimpanzees do it, and read about (and seen photos of)
    orangutans doing it. The first one I saw was a chimp at the Detroit zoo
    when I was maybe 10.

    > is UNICON also open for non-human competitors?

    We haven't had any requests yet. They might have trouble filling out
    the registration form. :) If we have at least two critters who would
    compete in the same event, I'm sure the host can come up with a
    competition category for that. You have to have at least two for it to
    be competition, and (IMO) at least three to justify awards.

    > Especially when knowing how much fear elephants have for falling!

    Yes, due to their massive weight, even a small fall for an elephant can
    probably be catastrophic. The globe has to be big enough for the
    elephant to fit on, but the bigger it is, the higher the elephant will
    be above the ground. Photo:
    http://www.unicycling.com/cccp/pix/elephball.jpg

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  17. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    John,
    Why does it say I'm Forbidden when I try clicking on the photo above?
    It says this exactly:

    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /cccp/pix/elephball.jpg on this
    server.

    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
    an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

    Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.unicycling.com Port 80

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formerly known as tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    *20 Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
    didn't do than by the things you did-EXPLORE-DREAM-LIVE!
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  18. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  19. johnfoss wrote:

    > Wobbling Bear? You're a cartoon, so you still count. Any comment?

    well my handle was not chosen out of fancy ... I am _really_ a bear!
    half-kidding: the bear is the "totem" of my family and my first name
    is Bernard.
    some people (with a wicked mind) say the similarities do not end there
    !:D

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  20. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    wobbling bear wrote:
    > some people (with a wicked mind) say the similarities do not end there
    > !:D

    Hmmm! If the think about the bear's associal behaviour, one search one
    this forum and the french one will quickly show their wrong!!
    As for any other similarities... Please tell me you don't think about a
    particular bone much (male) humans might like to be equiped with:eek: ;)
    :D

    --
    Zzagg

    Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.

    please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847