Bear

leo

Guest
Bad news...
The entry for "'Bear' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear)" on
wikipedia, now contains the word unicycle.

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

why is it bad ?

Aren't there many unicycling bears in the Netherlands ?
Here in Germany all bears could not read and so theay also couldn't
read those laws against unicycling Bears.
How ever, it must be two weeks ago when I saw the last group of arround
10 Bears on unicycles passing our village (maybe while training for the
Laos Tour)

I think they would going crazy if they could catch a set of Munis some
days :)

--
olarf

visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

why were you looking at the wikipedia entry for bear, and where is it in
there?
under what section?

--
habbywall

'Nick.Jantz' (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com)
Most Replys: 'page 3000!!' (http://tinyurl.com/cy3vc)
PM about advertising here!
kristine did it! you should too!
'\"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out!'
(http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

This reminded me of a 'joke' that I heard from a friend the other day. I
laughed even though it may be cruel, but we don't have bears around
here and I'm wary of them when we go camping out of state
(TN,SC,NC,GA,MI,ME,etc.)

Q: "How do you teach a bear to ride a unicycle/bicycle?"

A: "You nail it's feet to the pedals and beat it with a stick."

--
burjzyntski

It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

\"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"
burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

habbywall wrote:
> why were you looking at the wikipedia entry for bear, and where is it in
> there?
> under what section?

can't answer your first question, but its under Other, and it says

Laws have been passed in many areas of the world to protect bears from
hunters or habitat destruction. Bears in captivity used to be trained
to dance, box, or unicycle, but it is now controversial to use animals
in this way.

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

mikael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

burjzyntski wrote:
> This reminded me of a 'joke' that I heard from a friend the other day. I
> laughed even though it may be cruel, but we don't have bears around
> here and I'm wary of them when we go camping out of state
> (TN,SC,NC,GA,MI,ME,etc.)
>
> Q: "How do you teach a bear to ride a unicycle/bicycle?"

> A: "You nail it's feet to the pedals and beat it with a stick."

that made me laugh so hard

--
tyler_cochrane

carpe diem - seize the day
tyler_cochrane's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10997

habbywall wrote:
> why were you looking at the wikipedia entry for bear, and where is it in
> there?

Click the link, search the page. It's under "other."

From the pattern of Leo's posts, he obviously searches the Web for
occurances of the word "unicycle" or similar words. It's a word that
shows up in some really interesting places!

But...

I don't think a bear has ever ridden a unicycle. In all my years
involved with this sport, I have never seen a photo or read a written
account of a bear riding a unicycle. I have seen a bear ride a tricycle
(in the Moscow Circus in NY) and I can picture a bear balancing a bike.
But their hind legs are pretty short and bears are not known as
balancers. They're great climbers, but I haven't seen much where they
balance themselves.

I have seen an elephant walk on a rolling globe, which was one of the
most amazing feats of (trained) animal skill I've witnessed.

Wobbling Bear? You're a cartoon, so you still count. Any comment?

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

johnfoss wrote:
> From the pattern of Leo's posts, he obviously searches the Web for
> occurances of the word "unicycle" or similar words. It's a word that
> shows up in some really interesting places!

Correct, I've finaly fixed that announced kind of webbot for it. Soon it
will be running on an unicycle-website (have'nt made up my mind which
place should be the best), so that everybody can browse the results.

But the amount of results is about 90 articles a day, so some selective
moderating is desired. Especially when I'm not online for a day, or
two, or three...

The very 1st person I showed it to, made 1 single click and hit an
article on unicyclists that were practicing half a mile from his house,
of who he did'nt know at all...!

johnfoss wrote:
> I don't think a bear has ever ridden a unicycle.

I've seen 2 monkeys riding unicycles. And I have seen them performing
many many shows. So now I regret I've never filmed it.

They were from France.... is UNICON also open for non-human
competitors?

johnfoss wrote:
> I have seen an elephant walk on a rolling globe, which was one of the
> most amazing feats of (trained) animal skill I've witnessed.

Especially when knowing how much fear elephants have for falling!

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Seems realy to be a legend at all.

There are many Books and Storys about those unicycling Bears and also a
lot of paintings and teddys but not one real picture or story about a
bear doing that. They always ride on things where they can place their
Hands :)
[image: http://www.neunzehnzoll.de/images/bear.jpg]

I'm more or less sure now that bears are not able to ride a uni even if
there are a lot of legends arround that fact :)

--

leo wrote:
> I've seen 2 monkeys riding unicycles. And I have seen them performing
> many many shows. So now I regret I've never filmed it.

I've seen chimpanzees do it, and read about (and seen photos of)
orangutans doing it. The first one I saw was a chimp at the Detroit zoo
when I was maybe 10.

> is UNICON also open for non-human competitors?

We haven't had any requests yet. They might have trouble filling out
the registration form. :) If we have at least two critters who would
compete in the same event, I'm sure the host can come up with a
competition category for that. You have to have at least two for it to
be competition, and (IMO) at least three to justify awards.

> Especially when knowing how much fear elephants have for falling!

Yes, due to their massive weight, even a small fall for an elephant can
probably be catastrophic. The globe has to be big enough for the
elephant to fit on, but the bigger it is, the higher the elephant will
be above the ground. Photo:
http://www.unicycling.com/cccp/pix/elephball.jpg

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

John,
Why does it say I'm Forbidden when I try clicking on the photo above?
It says this exactly:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cccp/pix/elephball.jpg on this
server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.unicycling.com Port 80

--
unicycle6869

Jamey (formerly known as tuna6869)

Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
screws the country?

*20 Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by the things you did-EXPLORE-DREAM-LIVE!
unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

johnfoss wrote:

> Wobbling Bear? You're a cartoon, so you still count. Any comment?

well my handle was not chosen out of fancy ... I am _really_ a bear!
half-kidding: the bear is the "totem" of my family and my first name
is Bernard.
some people (with a wicked mind) say the similarities do not end there
!:D

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

wobbling bear wrote:
> some people (with a wicked mind) say the similarities do not end there
> !:D

Hmmm! If the think about the bear's associal behaviour, one search one
this forum and the french one will quickly show their wrong!!
As for any other similarities... Please tell me you don't think about a
particular bone much (male) humans might like to be equiped with:eek: ;)
:D

--
Zzagg

Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

Riding day, dream away...
Still riding, still dreaming.

please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847