bearing play and annoying pedaling ticks

landotter

Guest
I'm back on the trusty Aerospace Viscount single speed for my daily
twenty mile bangers. Three rides into the Aerospace season I'm getting
a bit of a "tick" loose bearing feeling thing when I mash the right
pedal.

It's narrowed down to pedals or bottom bracket. Pedals are cheap and
durable Wellgo spds. Bottom bracket is pressed carts with a Campy
spindle and circlips.

Pulled the cranks, lifted the dust seals on the cartridge bearings
pressed into the shell, de and regreased. Pushed the dust seals back
into place.

Still that tick on the right side.

Hmmm.

So I've taken apart the Wellgos, regreased the inner bushing and
checked the outer cartridge bearings. All seems good. There's a teeny
bit of play, but the things spin smoothly.

I did notice that there is a bit of play with the BB spindle. Not that
it's sliding around within the bearing, I think, as it took quite a
bit of effort to press it in--it seems that the play is in the
bearings themselves.

Haven't ridden it yet with the overhauled pedals, but do cartridge
bearings develop play over time?? I'm leaning to it being the bushings
on the pedals, as they seem a bit looser than a couple years ago. The
bearings I pressed into the BB shell are some generics from the now
defunct local ball bearing supplier, if that matters.

On Mar 27, 12:31 am, I wrote:

> Haven't ridden it yet with the overhauled pedals, but do cartridge
> bearings develop play over time?? I'm leaning to it being the bushings
> on the pedals, as they seem a bit looser than a couple years ago. The
> bearings I pressed into the BB shell are some generics from the now
> defunct local ball bearing supplier, if that matters.

Did a beer run with Blundstone boots on the spds to make sure it
wasn't some sort of cleatiness. Nope, still a bit of a tk tk on the
right side when you spin. I'll have spin on some super smooth MKS
quills I've got in the bin tomorrow to rule out the pedals. My gut
tells me it's the 6003 BB carts that are titsup. They've got around
10K miles on 'em. Total PITA to replace, though I've found a nice and
huge C-clamp in the garage that I forgot about that might make the
pressing a bit more tame.

Part of me is hoping it's the pedals. Note to Andrew at YG: if your
"blue cleats" were $20 and not $40, I'd think seriously about
strapping up the MKS's for slot cleat fun. And those teaser NOS 80s
shoes at Nashbar last month didn't do my mental health any good. My
kingdom for a 38 size foot. Alas, I'm stuck with 45-6 boats. Properly
narrow at least.

On 26 Mar 2007 22:31:58 -0700, landotter wrote:

> It's narrowed down to pedals or bottom bracket. Pedals are cheap and
> durable Wellgo spds. Bottom bracket is pressed carts with a Campy
> spindle and circlips.

Try another pair of pedals - it's handy to have some old platforms
around for this purpose. IME a 'tick' on one side only is much more likely
that pedal than the BB, which creaks when loose or worn.

But first ride no-hands to check that it's not the headset or stem, and
stand up to check that it's not the seatpost or saddle. The saddle rails
endpoints are my most common source of ticks when they get wet.

On Mar 27, 3:36 am, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2007 22:31:58 -0700, landotter wrote:
>
> > It's narrowed down to pedals or bottom bracket. Pedals are cheap and
> > durable Wellgo spds. Bottom bracket is pressed carts with a Campy
> > spindle and circlips.

> Try another pair of pedals - it's handy to have some old platforms
> around for this purpose. IME a 'tick' on one side only is much more likely
> that pedal than the BB, which creaks when loose or worn.
>
> But first ride no-hands to check that it's not the headset or stem, and
> stand up to check that it's not the seatpost or saddle. The saddle rails
> endpoints are my most common source of ticks when they get wet.

Nah, this was definitely in the crank area, as I could feel a tiny bit
of movement. Should have been more clear. It seems the spindle was
moving as one of the circlips was installed upside down. Did an
overhaul since the cranks were off: punched out the bearings, peeled
the seals, shook them clean in a Park coleslaw container with solvent,
dried, repacked, and pressed in with my very fancy BB Tool(tm), now
with red oak planks!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/436916988_3db0e1ebce_o.jpg

Just put the pedals on another bike and ride around the block a few
times. That should allow you to rule out the pedals ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Don't forget to remove and reinstall the chainring bolts, grease
liberally. Loose chainring bolts can also produce the type of noise
you are experiencing.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Mar 27, 7:22 pm, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> Don't forget to remove and reinstall the chainring bolts, grease
> liberally. Loose chainring bolts can also produce the type of noise
> you are experiencing.

Your news server must be slow, I fixed it an hour and a half ago. :p

The circlip securing the BB spindle in the bearings was upside down,
and as it's slightly dished, that made the spindle slide around a mm
on the bearing.

Tada!