Bearing retainer vs loose ball.

Wayne Pein

Guest
Subsequent to taking our tandem apart for powdercoating and putting it back together, I've not been
able to adjust the Diacomp 1 1/4 inch Aheadset. It turns out the lower bearing retainer somehow got
bent. This was a shock to me since I seemingly have been very careful with it.

Anyway, it contains 22 what I measure as 3/16 in balls. If I can't easily find a replacement
retainer at an LBS, is it advisable to use loose balls instead? If so, how many should I use?

Thanks, Wayne

--
Wayne Pein
Bicycling Matters

www.humantransport.org
www.bicyclinglife.com

Wayne Pein wrote:

> Subsequent to taking our tandem apart for powdercoating and putting it back together, I've not
> been able to adjust the Diacomp 1 1/4 inch Aheadset. It turns out the lower bearing retainer
> somehow got bent. This was a shock to me since I seemingly have been very careful with it.
>
> Anyway, it contains 22 what I measure as 3/16 in balls. If I can't easily find a replacement
> retainer at an LBS, is it advisable to use loose balls instead? If so, how many should I use?

Loose balls are fine, and some people recommend it because you can usually fit a few more in. Just
ensure they aren't jammed absolutely tight.

Do replace *all* the balls and don't just add some new ones. Ball size varies slightly from batch to
batch and the new ones won't be exactly the same size as the old ones.

I have to agree with not mixing between old and new and you should use them from the same lot. Here
is my contact: Ball Tec

1-800 322-5832

Grade 25 C/S

3/16" balls = 4 cents order qty: 200

4/4" balls = 5 cents order qty: 144

Min order $15.oo order should come out to $15.20

You can mix and match.

They package them by size & quantity and in plastic oil bags.

-tom

Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

>Anyway, it contains 22 what I measure as 3/16 in balls. If I can't easily find a replacement
>retainer at an LBS, is it advisable to use loose balls instead? If so, how many should I use?

One standard procedure is to pack the bearing races until THERE IS ONE TOO MANY, and then REMOVE TWO
BALLS. This procedure is used with pitted headsets to change the number of balls, in order to extend
headset life. This should still leave you with roughly 1 extra ball compared to standard retainers.

The idea is that loose space in the headset will cause the balls to move around more, which is what
you want in order to allow the headset to wear evenly. What you don't want is for all the balls to
be restricted in their movement because the race is packed. Another option is to search
www.google.com groups on this subject, since we just had 200 postings on this subject, ending 1
month ago.

- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:33:38 GMT, Wayne Pein <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Subsequent to taking our tandem apart for powdercoating and putting it back together, I've not been
>able to adjust the Diacomp 1 1/4 inch Aheadset. It turns out the lower bearing retainer somehow got
>bent. This was a shock to me since I seemingly have been very careful with it.
>
>Anyway, it contains 22 what I measure as 3/16 in balls. If I can't easily find a replacement
>retainer at an LBS, is it advisable to use loose balls instead?

Yes.

>If so, how many should I use?

As many as it takes to fill the available space in the cup, leaving a gap of up to one ball's width.
If the cup will hold 31 with no space left, for instance, then use 30. If it holds 29 with not quite
enough remaining space for one more, use 29. (The numbers are strictly arbitrary for purposes of
example; your count probably will vary.)

You may find that the current retainer's ball count is a good approximation of a full complement,
but I'm betting that you'll be able to get at least one or two more in with the retainer removed. Be
sure to take one of the old balls along to match for size, and check it with a micrometer; in very
rare instances, I have run across bearing assemblies that used balls which were not of a standard
size. It's very likely that yours are going to be of a common size, however, in which case there is
no objection to just buying the number that you need. You would not be able to measure the variance
in diameter from batch to batch or manufacturer to manufacturer for standard-size balls.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

wpein-<< It turns out the lower bearing retainer somehow got bent. This was a shock to me since I
seemingly have been very careful with it.

Anyway, it contains 22 what I measure as 3/16 in balls. If I can't easily find a replacement
retainer at an LBS, is it advisable to use loose balls instead? If so, how many should I use?
>><BR><BR>

Grease it up and add balls, in the place where they will ride, until all touch and them remove one.
I would replace the lower cup if it's bent tho. It is not impossible to find 1 1/4 inch HS..

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have to agree with not mixing between old and new and you should use
them
> from the same lot. Here is my contact: Ball Tec
>
> 1-800 322-5832
>
> Grade 25 C/S
>
> 3/16" balls = 4 cents order qty: 200
>
> 1/4" balls = 5 cents order qty: 144
>
> Min order $15.oo order should come out to $15.20
>
> You can mix and match.
>
> They package them by size & quantity and in plastic oil bags.
>
> -tom

Tom, do you have any stainless steel grade 25 balls?

Dave

On 14 Jan 2004 10:57:01 -0800, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:
>i swear loose balls are faster.

Amen, brother! You've said a mouthful.

You've actually made sense. However, this coherent communication was nonetheless entertaining...so
your coherence is forgiven. Try to remember to stay incoherent.
--
Rick Onanian

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Grease it up and add balls, in the place where they will ride, until all touch and them remove
> one. I would replace the lower cup if it's bent tho. It is not impossible to find 1 1/4 inch HS..

And any LBS which commonly services tandems will have a selction of them

A Muzi wrote:

> And any LBS which commonly services tandems will have a selction of them

St John Street Cycles in the UK have YST 1 1/4" headsets if you're stuck. Thankfully the stack
height of threaded headsets seems to be settling at about 38mm so changing brand isn't the nightmare
it once was.