bearing size for profiles

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by James_Potter, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    on the Profile hub/crankset page, it asks for the bearing size, with two
    6203-3/4-2RS
    99R12

    I have no idea what this means, all I know is I want to put it on my
    2004 KH20 frame. which one should I choose?

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  2. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. Zack Baldwin and Ryan Atkins both ride
    2004/03 KH 24 frames on profile hubs. I think they both use 40 mm
    diameter bearings, but 1 5/8" will work too. I would go with 40mm, but
    in the end the only difference is a few turns of the allen key.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    I'm Nick's main man.

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique

  3. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    hmm, okay, I didn't know if one would fit a certain frame and not
    others, or what.... so as long as either one will fit, I'll just choose
    either one. :D
    thanks!

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    The difference is the outer diameter of the bearing.

    The 6203 bearing has a 40 mm OD
    The 99R12 bearing has a 1-5/8" OD

    The made in Taiwan KH frames of old fit 42 mm OD bearings. Neither of
    the Profile bearings are going to be an exact fit. To get an exact fit
    you're going to need some sort of shim around the bearing to make it 42
    mm OD.

    1-5/8 inches is 41.275 mm. You can probably use a home made shim cut
    from a soda can to make up the difference between the 41.275 mm OD of
    the bearing and 42 mm. You might even be able to get away without even
    using a shim at all.

    There were some custom shims available back then to fit a 40 mm bearing
    in the 42 mm KH frame. I don't recall where the shims were available
    from. I'd call Unicycle.com and Darren Bedford and ask if they have
    such a shim. The custom shim with the 40 mm bearing would probably be
    the preferred solution.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  6. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > *My current bearings actually do have shims around them already. I can
    > just use these ones for the new profile hub, right? *

    What size are your current bearings?
    If you can read off the numbers on the bearing you can determine its
    size by looking it up in a bearing catalog. Otherwise you need to
    measure the size with something accurate like a caliper.

    You could also use a caliper to measure of OD of the bearing and shim
    combination.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  7. jagur

    jagur Guest

    ::for the last time, you dont need a stupid shim while running a Profile
    sized bearing in a 03/04 kh frame!::

    > Neither of the Profile bearings are going to be an exact fit.

    john, Profile only make one size of bearing, the 41mm...anything esle
    that fits on a 19mm Profile axle is not made by Profile...

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Tim's main man.
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > * john, Profile only makes one size of bearing, the 41mm...anything
    > esle that fits on a 19mm Profile axle is not made by Profile... *

    They're standard size bearings available from many different
    manufacturers. Whether the bearing happens to say Profile on the seal
    or not doesn't make a difference. If you order the 99R12 (1-5/8")
    bearings from Unicycle.com you're probably going to get bearings that
    have "Profile" branded on the seal. I have no idea what you'll get if
    you order the 6203 (40 mm) bearings. Doesn't really matter what they
    are.

    You can probably get away with using the 1-5/8" bearings in the old KH
    Taiwan frames. I just don't consider it ideal because there is going to
    be a little bit of slop which could allow the bearing to distort into an
    oval shape or could allow the bearing to rock or move in the bearing
    holder when pedaling hard. Probably not a big deal, but I'm a
    perfectionist at some things. Unicycle.com has the necessary bearing
    adapters in their catalog: 'UDC Bearing Adapters'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=735). That's the way
    I'd go if I was fitting a Profile hub in a 42 mm frame. You could go
    with the adapter for the 1-5/8" bearing. If the adapter turns out to be
    a pain you could always go back to using the bearing without the
    adapter.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  9. jagur

    jagur Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *They're standard size bearings available from many different
    > manufacturers. Whether the bearing happens to say Profile on the seal
    > or not doesn't make a difference. *

    thats why i quoted you???? you said " Neither of the Profile bearings
    are going to be an exact fit." and there is only one....im just calling
    you on that since you didnt seem to know, thats what happens when you
    ride the same muni for 4 years.

    > They're standard size bearings available from many different
    > manufacturers.

    duh?

    > I have no idea what you'll get if you order the 6203 (40 mm)
    > bearings.

    well i do....ive ordered 5 profile hubs, built them all and sold them
    all.... ive seen more bearings than i ever want to again.

    > You can probably get away with using the 1-5/8" bearings in the old KH
    > Taiwan frames.

    what do you mean "probobly" i rode with you several times in Oregon,
    California and Nevada....."probobly" give me a brake!

    > I just don't consider it ideal because there is going to be a little
    > bit of slop which could allow the bearing to distort into an oval
    > shape or could allow the bearing to rock or move in the bearing holder
    > when pedaling hard.

    another oversight, there is no slop, the bearing doesnt distort..do you
    really think that i would build a muni,ride it, and ride it hard if that
    was going to happen? (see next comment)

    > Probably not a big deal, but I'm a perfectionist at some things.

    i am a perfectionist too and that would be a huge deal...thats why im
    posting my expierance that its NOT a problem and using Profile sized
    bearings in a 03/04 kh frame is fine without a shim. I WOULD KNOW, you
    would not...you've never had one...you have rode the same KH pro for
    years and never tinkered with the Taiwanise bearing holders.

    > If the adapter turns out to be a pain you could always go back to
    > using the bearing without the adapter.

    Bingo!!! thats what i did. i tryed the shims and the bearings fit
    better without them...if the choice is 40mm however the shims are needed
    and work better since they are a little thicker and more robust. (yes i
    have done that set up too)

    you have excellent advice john, but experiance is the best teacher.

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Tim's main man.
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  10. Since you have the new, very strong profile axle, you don't even really
    need bearings. Just clamp down on the axle. Make sure it can still spin.
    Then ride!

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

    AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
    Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
    MSN:[email protected]

    disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

    Nick, Joe, Tim, Jim, Nick, Eric, Trip, Mike, Bevan, Sabin, Owen, Jagur,
    Brian, Michael, Pete, Evan, Andrew, Justin, Kyle, Dave, Kevin, and Laura
    are my main man.