bearing size for profiles

James_Potter

Guest
on the Profile hub/crankset page, it asks for the bearing size, with two
6203-3/4-2RS
99R12

I have no idea what this means, all I know is I want to put it on my
2004 KH20 frame. which one should I choose?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

In my opinion, it doesn't matter. Zack Baldwin and Ryan Atkins both ride
2004/03 KH 24 frames on profile hubs. I think they both use 40 mm
diameter bearings, but 1 5/8" will work too. I would go with 40mm, but
in the end the only difference is a few turns of the allen key.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

I'm Nick's main man.

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

The difference is the outer diameter of the bearing.

The 6203 bearing has a 40 mm OD
The 99R12 bearing has a 1-5/8" OD

The made in Taiwan KH frames of old fit 42 mm OD bearings. Neither of
the Profile bearings are going to be an exact fit. To get an exact fit
you're going to need some sort of shim around the bearing to make it 42
mm OD.

1-5/8 inches is 41.275 mm. You can probably use a home made shim cut
from a soda can to make up the difference between the 41.275 mm OD of
the bearing and 42 mm. You might even be able to get away without even
using a shim at all.

There were some custom shims available back then to fit a 40 mm bearing
in the 42 mm KH frame. I don't recall where the shims were available
from. I'd call Unicycle.com and Darren Bedford and ask if they have
such a shim. The custom shim with the 40 mm bearing would probably be
the preferred solution.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

James_Potter wrote:
> *My current bearings actually do have shims around them already. I can
> just use these ones for the new profile hub, right? *

What size are your current bearings?
If you can read off the numbers on the bearing you can determine its
size by looking it up in a bearing catalog. Otherwise you need to
measure the size with something accurate like a caliper.

You could also use a caliper to measure of OD of the bearing and shim
combination.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

::for the last time, you dont need a stupid shim while running a Profile
sized bearing in a 03/04 kh frame!::

> Neither of the Profile bearings are going to be an exact fit.

john, Profile only make one size of bearing, the 41mm...anything esle
that fits on a 19mm Profile axle is not made by Profile...

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Tim's main man.
-Forget_Your_Life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

jagur wrote:
> * john, Profile only makes one size of bearing, the 41mm...anything
> esle that fits on a 19mm Profile axle is not made by Profile... *

They're standard size bearings available from many different
manufacturers. Whether the bearing happens to say Profile on the seal
or not doesn't make a difference. If you order the 99R12 (1-5/8")
bearings from Unicycle.com you're probably going to get bearings that
have "Profile" branded on the seal. I have no idea what you'll get if
you order the 6203 (40 mm) bearings. Doesn't really matter what they
are.

You can probably get away with using the 1-5/8" bearings in the old KH
Taiwan frames. I just don't consider it ideal because there is going to
be a little bit of slop which could allow the bearing to distort into an
oval shape or could allow the bearing to rock or move in the bearing
holder when pedaling hard. Probably not a big deal, but I'm a
perfectionist at some things. Unicycle.com has the necessary bearing
adapters in their catalog: 'UDC Bearing Adapters'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=735). That's the way
I'd go if I was fitting a Profile hub in a 42 mm frame. You could go
with the adapter for the 1-5/8" bearing. If the adapter turns out to be
a pain you could always go back to using the bearing without the
adapter.

--

john_childs wrote:
> *They're standard size bearings available from many different
> manufacturers. Whether the bearing happens to say Profile on the seal
> or not doesn't make a difference. *

thats why i quoted you???? you said " Neither of the Profile bearings
are going to be an exact fit." and there is only one....im just calling
you on that since you didnt seem to know, thats what happens when you
ride the same muni for 4 years.

> They're standard size bearings available from many different
> manufacturers.

duh?

> I have no idea what you'll get if you order the 6203 (40 mm)
> bearings.

well i do....ive ordered 5 profile hubs, built them all and sold them
all.... ive seen more bearings than i ever want to again.

> You can probably get away with using the 1-5/8" bearings in the old KH
> Taiwan frames.

what do you mean "probobly" i rode with you several times in Oregon,
California and Nevada....."probobly" give me a brake!

> I just don't consider it ideal because there is going to be a little
> bit of slop which could allow the bearing to distort into an oval
> shape or could allow the bearing to rock or move in the bearing holder
> when pedaling hard.

another oversight, there is no slop, the bearing doesnt distort..do you
really think that i would build a muni,ride it, and ride it hard if that
was going to happen? (see next comment)

> Probably not a big deal, but I'm a perfectionist at some things.

i am a perfectionist too and that would be a huge deal...thats why im
posting my expierance that its NOT a problem and using Profile sized
bearings in a 03/04 kh frame is fine without a shim. I WOULD KNOW, you
would not...you've never had one...you have rode the same KH pro for
years and never tinkered with the Taiwanise bearing holders.

> If the adapter turns out to be a pain you could always go back to
> using the bearing without the adapter.

Bingo!!! thats what i did. i tryed the shims and the bearings fit
better without them...if the choice is 40mm however the shims are needed
and work better since they are a little thicker and more robust. (yes i
have done that set up too)

you have excellent advice john, but experiance is the best teacher.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Tim's main man.
-Forget_Your_Life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Since you have the new, very strong profile axle, you don't even really
need bearings. Just clamp down on the axle. Make sure it can still spin.
Then ride!

--
TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
MSN:[email protected]

disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

Nick, Joe, Tim, Jim, Nick, Eric, Trip, Mike, Bevan, Sabin, Owen, Jagur,
Brian, Michael, Pete, Evan, Andrew, Justin, Kyle, Dave, Kevin, and Laura
are my main man.