Bearings inside crankarm? stationary axle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Leo Lichtman wrote:
    >> "Brian Huntley" wrote: Only one chain, formed into a Moebius strip.
    >> (They
    >> have their own problems -like, which side do you lube?)
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> You must be an old fart, like me. When I was a kid, I recall an big old
    >> irrigation pump, driven by a flat belt, which actually WAS spliced into a
    >> Moebius strip, to equalize the wear on both sides (or was it one side?)

    > Guilty as charged.
    >
    >(clip) I always thought it was to equalize wear on the edges, not the
    >sides, as the old flat belts used to bump up against one flange (clip)

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The drive I remember did not have flanges on the pulleys--it relied on
    crowned drive surfaces to keep the belt centered. The only reason I
    remember this is that I remember being puzzled about why a belt seeks the
    highest part of the pulley. This was about seventy years ago, and I am
    still puzzled by this question.

  2. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Michael Press" wrote: Now we are expecting it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Expecting the unexpected? That would be mutually self-contradictory.

  3. Michael Press wrote:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Dave Larrington wrote:

    > > > There's never a Python policeman around when you need one, is there?

    > > The Spanish Inquisition might unexpectedly show up.

    > Now we are expecting it.

    "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise!"
    - Cardinal Ximinez

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  4. Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > The drive I remember did not have flanges on the pulleys--it relied on
    > crowned drive surfaces to keep the belt centered.

    Yes, I recall those, too - I called them "convex" in my initial
    posting, I believe. But I only remember them on portable equipment like
    threshers and sawmills and such.

    I also always used to wonder how many got injured by those belts
    stretched across the field, and was it more or less than the number of
    people injured by the sawblades and threshers and such.