Bearings needed to rebuild Speedplay Frog pedals

bfd

Guest
Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

In article
<f6ce4ceb-fe8c-495b-877d-878953d27086@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
> Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
> told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
> bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!
>
> I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
> cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
> picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
> HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
> one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

Thanks for the parts references. I've got a pair of these that need to
be rebuilt.

I did basically the same thing back in Nov, 2006. I found them online from
vxb.com and got a little better price, especially on a quantity which can
help with shipping. I don't have good access to a bearing shop. I've got
5 sets of these pedals so I bought a package of 10 roller bearings and 8
individual needle bearings and paid about $6 per pedal plus shipping. The
quantity spread the shipping costs out pretty well.

Code Name Quantity
Price/Ea. Total
R4ZZ 10 Bearing R4ZZ 1/4"x5/8"x0.196" Shielded 1
$14.95 $14.95
Kit6940 HK1010 Needle Bearing 10x14x10 TLA1010 8
$3.95 $31.60
Shipping: 3-10 Days USA Only
w/Tracking: $9.35
Sales
Tax: $0.00

As the OP said, much better than $37 and a pretty simple repair.
Lyle

bfd wrote:
> Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
> Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
> told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
> bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!
>
> I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
> cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
> picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
> HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
> one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

very good. but not all bearings are created equal. what brand are the
originals and what brand did you replace them with?

On Apr 22, 7:18 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> >  Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
> > Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
> > told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
> > bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

> > I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
> > cartridge and needle bearing.  I went to a local bearing shop and
> > picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
> > HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
> > one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

> very good.  but not all bearings are created equal.  what brand are the
> originals and what brand did you replace them with?

Good question. The original R4Z was an NBK and replaced with one from
KYY (or was it YKK? The box stated it was made in Japan). The
original needle bearing only had the part number on it (HK 1010). The
replacement was a *** (Germany) model HK1010B (Sounds like a famous
dropout...).

Installed the new bearings yesterday with lots of grease and the pedal
seems to work fine (at least spinning it in my hand). I'll see how it
works on the road. Thanks!

On Apr 22, 6:14 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <f6ce4ceb-fe8c-495b-877d-878953d27...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> >  Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
> > Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
> > told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
> > bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

> > I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
> > cartridge and needle bearing.  I went to a local bearing shop and
> > picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
> > HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
> > one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

> Thanks for the parts references.  I've got a pair of these that need to
> be rebuilt.

Download the instructions from Speedplay, its a very simple fix. Good
Luck! Brewster