Beater-be-gone!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Spider, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Well, not gone, but dismembered for juicy parts. It's heavy CrMo frame, twitchy geometry and
    just-a-little-too-bigness will be a memory. Since everyone said how sweet the Ibis Ripley was...

    That's right - just pulled the trigger on a new Fango frame. No, it won't be built in time for
    AMB-ID, but the beater will have it's epic day, then be retired to where all used bicycle frames go.

    eBay!

    Just kidding. I'll buy another fork in a couple of years and bring the beater back out of
    retirement. Then use it as it was meant to be used - hucking curbs and pulling the
    baby/dog/gear trailer.

    Spider

    Tags:

  2. Spider

    Spider Guest

    [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, not gone, but dismembered for juicy parts. It's heavy CrMo frame, twitchy geometry and
    > just-a-little-too-bigness will be a memory. Since everyone said how sweet the Ibis Ripley was...
    >
    > That's right - just pulled the trigger on a new Fango frame. No, it won't be built in time for
    > AMB-ID, but the beater will have it's epic day, then be retired to where all used bicycle
    > frames go.
    >
    > eBay!
    >
    > Just kidding. I'll buy another fork in a couple of years and bring the beater back out of
    > retirement. Then use it as it was meant to be used - hucking curbs and pulling the baby/dog/gear
    > trailer.

    Err, I knew I forgot something...

    The nearest dealer of the Fango was 5 hours away, so I bought it from Adrenaline Bikes. I spoke with
    Brian, who threw in some schwag gratis, which was pretty nice of him. Good guy to deal with. We'll
    see how they deliver on the goods.

    Normally, I would have gone to an LBS, but can't when the Castellano dealer net is very thin 'round
    these parts.

    I'm looking forward to building it up and riding it on the trails. Thanks to those folks who
    e-mailed and made recommendations. It was good to hear the voices of experience.

    Do I get the "anticipation" tag from Jimbo now? ;)

    Spider

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Err, I knew I forgot something...
    >
    > The nearest dealer of the Fango was 5 hours away, so I bought it from Adrenaline Bikes. I spoke
    > with Brian, who threw in some schwag gratis, which was pretty nice of him. Good guy to deal with.
    > We'll see how they deliver on the goods.
    >
    > Spider

    Hey, if you would post a short report on your dealings with Adrenaline after you receive your stuff.
    I'm a little leery ordering from them, but they did seem pretty cool the two times I've talked to
    them. I'll probably go check out their shop this weekend.
    --
    Slacker

  4. Spider

    Spider Guest

    > > Err, I knew I forgot something...
    > >
    > > The nearest dealer of the Fango was 5 hours away, so I bought it from Adrenaline Bikes. I spoke
    > > with Brian, who threw in some schwag gratis, which was pretty nice of him. Good guy to deal
    > > with. We'll see how they deliver on the goods.
    > >
    > > Spider
    >

    > Hey, if you would post a short report on your dealings with Adrenaline after you receive your
    > stuff. I'm a little leery ordering from them

    Check your line length, man... :)

    What makes you leery? I mean, they always seem to be helpful when I call, and I called five or six
    times to talk about the frame, and other stuff.

    > but they did seem pretty cool the two times I've talked to them. I'll probably go check out their
    > shop this weekend.

    Their website blows, but they can get just about everything, AND price-match or beat.

    And he didn't even look stuff up - I just gave him a number and he said "OK."

    Sounds like a winner.

    Now, the folks I'm never gonna buy from again? BeyondBikes. Fscking idiots.

    Called me up at 1900 last night (right in the middle of dinner) and told me that one of the
    things I ordered TWO WEEKS AGO was out of stock (just the color, not the item.) OK, so give me
    the other color
    - no problem. Except one small detail - the same idiot called me last week at work with the very
    same info, at which time I gave him the same damn answer.

    If any one of my LBSs could get stuff in in a reasonable time at a reasonable price ($50 for an XT
    front der??? Huh?) I'd gladly buy from them! But they won't/can't, so...

    Anyway, this idiot kept telling me how great their website was, and how it was gonna be so much
    cooler. I had to tell him to "shut up and listen to me," after three or four times of him trying
    to talk over
    me. I told him if he talked over me one more time, I was gonna cancel the entire order. That shut
    his pie-hole. Finally, I got him to sell me a Cane Creek S5 at $55, which isn't too bad for that
    headset. I shoulda pressed for free shipping, too.

    They won't be getting any more of my dough.

    Spider

  5. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > Err, I knew I forgot something...
    > > >
    > > > The nearest dealer of the Fango was 5 hours away, so I bought it from Adrenaline Bikes. I
    > > > spoke with Brian, who threw in some schwag gratis, which was pretty nice of him. Good guy to
    > > > deal with. We'll see how they deliver on the goods.
    > > >
    > > > Spider
    > >

    > > Hey, if you would post a short report on your dealings with Adrenaline after you receive your
    > > stuff. I'm a little leery
    ordering
    > > from them
    >
    > Check your line length, man... :)
    >
    > What makes you leery? I mean, they always seem to be helpful when I call, and I called five or six
    > times to talk about the frame, and other stuff.
    >
    > Spider

    Nothing really of substance. Mainly, I just have a biased against mail order companies, hence the
    reason I want to visit their shop.

    This was pretty funny though.....I called them inquiring about about ordering a Chumba Wumba. They
    told me that they could get one no problem as well as any other "high end" DH rig I desired. So I
    said, "Cool, so you can get Turners?" "Well, that's one we can't get," he replies. "Ok, hows bout an
    Orange," I then ask. I can hear a heavy sigh thru the phone, "Actually, we can't can't those
    either..."

    So much for talking smack.
    --
    Slacker