Beating the bio passport

Crankyfeet said:
The big question is why these guys haven't had their hematocrits up around 48-49 the last few years?
Yeah when was the last time a rider had to sit down for having a >50% hematocrit?

Clearly they've worked something out.

What is the consequence of having suspicious passport values? Until the UCI shows they are willing to suspend someone I am skeptical of its worth. I imagine many riders are quite restrained at the moment, but the longer it goes with no action the more they will start pushing the boundaries.

We know based on far less sophisticated monitoring that the UCI has targetted riders for testing, yet so far no one has given odd passport values?

Would using a saline IV before the test not bring the HCT level down? If the big money players these days are only using HGH, low dose test and their own blood maybe they don't have to keep a year round high crit level?

Hard winter training could just be performed using test/hgh/slin for recovery, then on important race days when you can really put time into people (ie. TT's, mountain stages) pack in a few extra cells and fly for the day at the end of the stage IV saline for "dehydration", then the rest of the time sit in the pack and use your slin/hgh/test cocktail for reco? I am slowly starting to think that the major recovery drug these days in Insulin, although I have no eveidence of this.

Maybe I am stupid but that way your crit levels would never really look any higher than your own natural levels. Except for maybe when you are racing and no one can test you.

Concern with riders doing such things is almost certainly why they banned IVs, not that means they aren't doing them.

But isn't all of this a massive pain in the **** ? Like to beat the system or should I say not to raise suspicion you have to have a full time doctor and be watching your levels every minute of the day..... do you really want to be doing that along with the training and living your life ? I know these guys do some fairly stupid stuff but it seems after Vino was caught they will go after you if they are concerned........ then again I'm sure Ferrari and Fuentes are well ahead of the game....

whiteboytrash said:
But isn't all of this a massive pain in the **** ? Like to beat the system or should I say not to raise suspicion you have to have a full time doctor and be watching your levels every minute of the day..... do you really want to be doing that along with the training and living your life ? I know these guys do some fairly stupid stuff but it seems after Vino was caught they will go after you if they are concerned........ then again I'm sure Ferrari and Fuentes are well ahead of the game....
this is why Di Luca and Rebellin have up and down seasons. They go thru winning all three ardennes classics. Unbelievable.

some years they have the motivation and edge, to invest deep in their program. Other years they go thru the motions with it. When motivation is high the mine the dope resevoir for everything.

Floyd's HCT was 48.2 at one point during the 2006 TDF. Maybe no one let him in on the secret.

whiteboytrash said:

Agreed :

You'd wonder what sort of life these people lead - if, as has been suggested, that they're all doing what they're alleged to have been doing.

I don't think that it is just coincidence that all of this cloak and dagger stuff takes it's toll, not only on the riders health, but their relationships with spouses etc.

limerickman said:
Agreed :

You'd wonder what sort of life these people lead - if, as has been suggested, that they're all doing what they're alleged to have been doing.

I don't think that it is just coincidence that all of this cloak and dagger stuff takes it's toll, not only on the riders health, but their relationships with spouses etc.
Sure, it takes a toll. But if you have the chance to dope in such a manner as to win a Giro hands down (Basso), a few TdFs (Lance), or three classics in a row (Rebellin) in your chosen profession, thereby making you a lot of money and making you hireable for the rest of your career... it may be worth it for many of these riders.

Powerful Pete said:
Sure, it takes a toll. But if you have the chance to dope in such a manner as to win a Giro hands down (Basso), a few TdFs (Lance), or three classics in a row (Rebellin) in your chosen profession, thereby making you a lot of money and making you hireable for the rest of your career... it may be worth it for many of these riders.
Yep and especially if you have a doctor/coach/soigneur assisting you in monitoring and dosing the stuff.

earth_dweller said:
Yep and especially if you have a doctor/coach/soigneur assisting you in monitoring and dosing the stuff.
I would think the more important riders have all three, plus an occasional family member too, helping with the monitoring and dosage. :(

It seems the biological passport may never happen. The Wada is withdrawing from working together with the UCI. They will continue to seek to work with sports truly interested in controlling doping. "It is especially disappointing that the UCI takes these steps and commits its finances to legal action against WADA, rather than assisting in the funding of the Landis appeal. UCI specifically declined to contribute to the Landis case on the grounds that it had "no budget" to do so," read WADA's release. "Yet the appeal was specifically conducted under UCI rules, involved a breach of the sport's anti-doping policy, and is a major case for the sport. (NB: USADA conducted the hearings under delegated authority from USA Cycling, the UCI's national member in the U.S.)"

Powerful Pete said:
I would think the more important riders have all three, plus an occasional family member too, helping with the monitoring and dosage. :(

ilpirata said:
It seems the biological passport may never happen. The Wada is withdrawing from working together with the UCI. They will continue to seek to work with sports truly interested in controlling doping. "It is especially disappointing that the UCI takes these steps and commits its finances to legal action against WADA, rather than assisting in the funding of the Landis appeal. UCI specifically declined to contribute to the Landis case on the grounds that it had "no budget" to do so," read WADA's release. "Yet the appeal was specifically conducted under UCI rules, involved a breach of the sport's anti-doping policy, and is a major case for the sport. (NB: USADA conducted the hearings under delegated authority from USA Cycling, the UCI's national member in the U.S.)"
So let's see: UCI has alienated many race organizers and they have alienated WADA now. Do they have the support of the national federations (I thought the answer was no in most cases, but I'm not sure, and welcome someone who knows about this to comment)? What else is there on Verbruggen and McQuaid's checklist of "folk to ********"?

thecyclist said:
Floyd's HCT was 48.2 at one point during the 2006 TDF. Maybe no one let him in on the secret.
And IIRC rose over the course of the event when we know (because there was a study of the effect of a GT on hematocrit in the pre-EPO era) for all but a few it should drop to varying degrees.

TheDarkLord said:
So let's see: UCI has alienated many race organizers and they have alienated WADA now. Do they have the support of the national federations (I thought the answer was no in most cases, but I'm not sure, and welcome someone who knows about this to comment)? What else is there on Verbruggen and McQuaid's checklist of "folk to ********"?
They have the support of some of the national feds--the ones the UCI has not labeled as "mafia" countries.

Bro Deal said:
They have the support of some of the national feds--the ones the UCI has not labeled as "mafia" countries.

They obviously don't have the support of the French one. But the question is important. Does anybody here know on which side the major national cycling federations are (Belgian, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, German)?

Bro Deal said:
The Kazhakh fed (if it exists) should be supporting UCI, right? ;)

TheDarkLord said:
The Kazhakh fed (if it exists) should be supporting UCI, right? ;)
Bio Passport on hold

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2008/20080327_181357Dev.html

Having supported the UCI financially and with manpower to develop the BP, WADA have declared the partnership 'untenable' following the UCI's decision to sue them. They'll concentrate instead on developing an 'Athlete's Passport'.

What a tawdry pair McTwat and Heiny are - because of greed and vanity, the opportunity to position the sport in the vanguard of anti doping is let slip and cycling yet again looks like WWF on wheels...

TheDarkLord said:
They are also suing Eric Boyer, head of the pro cycling teams' association. Evidently he violated his loyalty to the UCI.

With incompetence like this, McQuaid and Verbruggen really missed their true calling. They should be working for the Bush administration.

Cobblestones said:
They obviously don't have the support of the French one. But the question is important. Does anybody here know on which side the major national cycling federations are (Belgian, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, German)?
18 support 7 not:
France, Belgium, Spain and Italy, Dutch, Danmark?….

A clue..
http://www.velonews.com/article/73004

In a meeting over the weekend in Greece, the European cycling union voted 18-7 to support the UCI in its efforts to pressure the French cycling federation to not sanction Paris-Nice in what’s seen as a major boost for the beleaguered UCI