Beating the bio passport

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Bro Deal, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

It is an unfortunate handling of events. The funding of the anti-doping fight is a major issue in all sports... but esp. in cycling. McQuaid is taking a militant approach to that fight... and in the process alienating everyone. In some respects UCI have a point that they don't have unlimited coffers to fight expensive legal fights in the courts. But instead of getting together and solving this in the interests of eradicating doping in sport, they have pissed WADA off. What do they expect WADA to do now that hey have made it a public issue? WADA can't bend over or they will have every sports admin in the world sending them bills.

This was almost certainly one of the major threats that Armstrong hung over the UCI (that is, if you test me positive... I'll make you broke in court). They have limited revenue means and the fight is going to require huge investment. I take it that most of us are for the anti-doping fight. Not necessarily for UCI's handling of it. But personally, my own optimism for cycling is based on the doping disease getting, if not beaten, severely weakened.

WADA has much more money than UCI. The UCI should be trying to partner with strong allies against this problem, but they are taking a default approach of go-it-alone sadly... which seems to be founded on UCI's self-interest of maximizing power at the expense of solving the problem. A similar policy was taken by the US with regard the fight against terrorism and Iraq. However the UCI is far less powerful on a relative level than the US was politically compared to other countries, notwithstanding that it arguably has backfired for the US in any case.

I suspect that there is a lot of politics behind the scenes that we are unaware of. But we need intelligent diplomacy. Unfortunately the UCI has a bigger agenda than just simply focussing on eradicating doping.

2. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Hein-Verbruggen: What are France doing competing at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships???

3. poulidor

poulidor New Member

It's not exactly that.

Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Italia have clearly supported France.

About the 18 others nations have not "clearly" supported UCI, they have agreed that UCI and FFC/ASO should cooperate to solve their problems!

4. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

So they have no funds to support the legal fight against FL, but when it comes to suing WADA and several others, suddenly they found a pot of gold?

5. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

They have funds. But it is limited. My point is that funding multi-million dollar lawsuits in the future is a problem they (and other governing bodies in other sports) will need to address... because it is hard to budget for this. They can budget for the level of testing and random-testing programs... but battling legal issues in the court is a huge unknown. I don't agree obviously with the way they are handling the whole fight. And personally, I would much prefer a better and more funded governing body replace UCI, as long as it had no conflicts of interest.

Funding the fight against drugs in sport is the major issue here. It is a direct cost, and the governing body doesn't receive extra revenue when the fight is won. The system is farked and is the reason why we have conflict, lax anti-doping in the past, and corrupt idiots in charge.

In many ways, I am looking forward to WADA backing up their claims, and subpoenaring witnesses who can prove that UCI was corrupt in enforcing dope testing in the past.

I think you think I am pro UCI. I am pro getting the doping problem fixed in cycling and having it run by an honest governing organization, and happy stakeholders at all levels. The current system hasn't and will never achieve that. I am against UCI being killed off and replaced by a potentially worse situation.

6. Anticyclone

Anticyclone New Member

If the UCI is successful in a case then don't they get at least costs paid (although i suppose they cant be 100% sure that they will win every case).

7. thecyclist

thecyclist New Member

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23439359-23218,00.html

I also read that the UCI sent urine samples from riders to Mario Thevis to get them tested for insulin.

8. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Yeah...WADA looks real good in that article. The IOC can be trusted to fight doping without corruption. Not.... :rolleyes:

9. poulidor

poulidor New Member

2 french reports (March 2008) about biopassport:

http://www.franceolympique.com/files/File/actions/sante/documentation/2008/8ecolloque/3.pdf

http://www.franceolympique.com/files/File/actions/sante/documentation/2008/8ecolloque/4.pdf

Outted from
    http://www.franceolympique.com/art/201-recherche_et_analyse_des_substances.html

A rough translation excerpt of the introduction of the first document :

10. Erzulis Boat

Erzulis Boat New Member

COWBLOOD

LIVEWRONG

DOPERS

ALL ON DOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIVEWRONG

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.........:D

11. ATM

ATM New Member