Beautiful bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by alienator, Oct 18, 2009.

1. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

On another forum, a custom frame maker--Dave, of Bohemian Bikes--photographed the stages of production of a special project bike for Interbike. The finished product is amazing. Dave is quite the artist. Check out the lugs, the inlays, that blue paint. He crushed lapis to create that hue, Egyptian blue. The frame is made of stainless steel. I'd love to have this frame, except in a traditional geometry. Pics are below, but you can see pics of the entire build process at fairwheelbikes.com • View forum - Bohemian .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Wow, that is a real beauty.

Who makes those cranks.

3. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Yeah, was wondering the same thing. Also, what about the brakes....they look really cool to me.

Agree it would look better as a "traditional" bike rather than the compact design. Or, with that beautiful French blue, just go all the way to a classic mixte (with two small diameter straight top tubes that become the seat stays). Other change I'd make is easy: some really nice polished aluminum rims and hubs to go with the all the elegant polished lug work.

4. BikeyGuy

BikeyGuy New Member

I believe the brakes are "EEbrakes. (Ecycleworks)
    eecycle Works

Don't know about the cranks. I'd like to know that also.

5. MultipleFostion

MultipleFostion New Member

The crancks are eeCrank, shown this year at Interbike...

6. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Looks sweet, very classy. The cranks have a vintage design look from the 70's.

7. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Amazing! I too would prefer a traditional road frame, but that is a beautiful bike. :cool:

8. alienator

As already mentioned, those cranks are EE cranks. Those are a pre-release version. I don't know what changes there will be when sales start. EE tests their equipment a lot before they loose it on the public.

As for the bike, Dave typically does build frames with trad geometry. This, however, was a special project, and one goal of the project was to build the frame light. I exchanged an email w/ Dave, and a trad frame, like the one in this thread, is on his to do list. His to do list is not really short.

More about the bike: yes, that's gold leaf you see on the bike. The material you see in the frame fillets is platiunm. It was used to cover the brazing material. Pretty cool.

The seat mast and the steerer are so long because the bike wasn't built for any particular person, and Dave did want to eventually sell it. As it happens, it appears that a friend of mine is buying or has bought it.

9. nbfman

nbfman New Member

The workmanship is incredible. Is the fork also stainless? I wonder if your friend intends to ride it a lot. It's so nice, that I would be afraid to take it out!

BTW, was there a publically listed asking price?

10. alienator

The fork is an Edge carbon fork. There was no listed price. That required a call to the builder. If I had it, I'd ride it. I don't think I could let any bike sit without riding it.

11. cwdzoot

cwdzoot New Member

Fantastic, looking at this bike just made my morning. In fact my week.

12. two wheels

two wheels New Member

Wow, Beautiful bike!!!!

13. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

Here's something I will probably never say again: the mother of pearl inlays look incredible on that bike. It's an artistic masterpiece! And the photographer is no slouch either.

14. konasunset

konasunset New Member

That bike is incredible. Amazing art, Does Dave make these to order or is it a special art piece? Someday I would love to have one of those... and if he made guitars too I'll bet they would be amazing. Great inlay work and craftsmanship.:cool:

15. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Downtube graphic works perfect too! I wonder who designed it?

:cool:

16. rparedes

rparedes New Member

It's too beautiiiful to take outside and ride. It's really an art piece...