Becoming a bike courier...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Loki, May 28, 2003.

  1. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Hmm, well, I'm moving close to the Perth CBD and was wondering about the feasability of becoming a bike courier part time or something until other work comes along.

    The problem is I haven't seen any ads for agencies that run bike messengers, and while there are plenty of couriers in the city, I am loathe to approach them as I don't want to be seen as a threat to them.

    So, anyone got info on who to contact? :)

    Tags:

  2. Loki wrote:
    > Hmm, well, I'm moving close to the Perth CBD and was wondering about the feasability of becoming a
    > bike courier part time or something until other work comes along.
    >
    > The problem is I haven't seen any ads for agencies that run bike messengers, and while there are
    > plenty of couriers in the city, I am loathe to approach them as I don't want to be seen as a
    > threat to them.
    >
    > So, anyone got info on who to contact? :)
    >

    > --
    > My helmet saved my braincells.

    My experience in Sydney is that no company employes bike couriers part time, unless you have worked
    full-time for them for a long time and they don't want to let you go. You should go up and speak to
    the Perth boys, they will be able to tell you what the situation is, and who not to work for. I
    doubt they will see you as a threat, it's not a competition.

    One hint : if you are going to talk to the boys, don't ride up on a $6000 dualie. It definitely
    sends the wrong message.

    - LB

  3. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hmm, well, I'm moving close to the Perth CBD and was wondering about the feasability of becoming a
    > bike courier part time or something until other work comes along.
    >
    > The problem is I haven't seen any ads for agencies that run bike messengers, and while there are
    > plenty of couriers in the city, I am loathe to approach them as I don't want to be seen as a
    > threat to them.
    >
    > So, anyone got info on who to contact? :)

    Try www.satansdisciples.com

    Cycle couriers are all hell spawn :)

  4. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Hmm, I guess I will do that, then.

    I don't own a $6k duallie. I ride a $2k XC hardtail :)

    Thanks for the advice.

  5. Bah

    Bah Guest

    Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My experience in Sydney is that no company employes bike couriers part time, unless you have
    > worked full-time for them for a long time and they don't want to let you go.

    Actually there are a few part time riders in perth, and I think a couple of companys put them on.

    Bah.

  6. Redbears

    Redbears Guest

    "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hmm, well, I'm moving close to the Perth CBD and was wondering about the feasability of becoming
    > > a bike courier part time or something until other work comes along.
    > >
    > > The problem is I haven't seen any ads for agencies that run bike messengers, and while there are
    > > plenty of couriers in the city, I am loathe to approach them as I don't want to be seen as a
    > > threat to them.
    > >
    > > So, anyone got info on who to contact? :)
    > >

    > Try www.satansdisciples.com
    >
    > Cycle couriers are all hell spawn :)

    I second that.. it is a crazy profession... used to have a bike with bent frame to prove it... those
    cars cause damage!

  7. #195

    #195 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    hey bro

    im a pushi out here in perth
    few companies employ biek couriers part time, though there is a couple part time rider about

    best bet is to go the yellow pages, or have a walk up st georges terrac and have a talk with any random couirers u come across