Bee sting/bite q's-Long

Cat Dailey

Guest
Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just too
gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one of
God's days.)

Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
hurt A LOT :<

I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome, so
I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours, the
whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala Jonathan
Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.

My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
bit and are itchy too.

By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group (thank
god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).

Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Carol Dailey

I hope you're at the hospital having yourself checked. What the hell are
you doing typing here for medical advice in your situation??!!

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled

> > bit and are itchy too.
> >
> > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group

> (thank
> > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my

HR
> > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
> > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
> >
> > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from

> now
> > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

> never
> > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic.

Did
> > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was

Uhh, I did not go into anaphylactic shock and could breathe okay. I was
hoping someone who had a bee allergy could give me some advice. I wouldn't
waste a hospitals time for a non-emergency...

Cat

Carol,

A few years ago I was mountain biking with some friends and had a
pretty good heart rate going. A yellow jacket stung me on the achilles,
just above the heel, where skin is very thin. The venom was in the
blood in no time and over the next couple days my enter leg swelled up,
turning purple and yellow in areas. Advice from my physician is to
carry a couple caplets of Benedryl in the event something like that
happens again. (actually I need to get some more, my pack has reached
exp. date)

A sting where the skin is thicker or has more fat cells beneath the
surface is less likely to have venom spread quickly. Because you were
stung in the scalp, where skin is relatively thin, you had a reaction
similar to mine. Were your heartrate much lower, even with panic, you
probably wouldn't have had as severe a reaction. (this is pretty much
how my physician explained it.)

If you are not allergic to Benedryl, carry a couple and take them as
soon as you can after getting stung.

Cat Dailey wrote:

> Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just too
> gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one of
> God's days.)
>
> Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
> sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
> was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
> hurt A LOT :<
>
> I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
> forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome, so
> I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours, the
> whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala Jonathan
> Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
> which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
> migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
>
> My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
> bit and are itchy too.
>
> By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group (thank
> god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
> was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
> flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
>
> Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
> on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
> had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
> get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
> we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
>
> Anyone have any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carol Dailey

About 4 years ago I got stung by spider on an early morning Monday ride in
Fl.

I took no notice but about 10 AM the bite had turned bright red and had
nasty looking spidery veins coming out of it.

My wife an RN, advised me to go to a doc, but real men don't see docs unless
they have unstoppable bleeding somewhere.

I took Benes and in a couple of days it subsided.

However on the next early AM club ride my legs felt itchy in shadows. There
was no rash or bites and once I warmed up it went away. That day I was in a
supermarket and passing the
freezer section and the same phenomenon occurred. This scared me but still
not enough to go to a doc. Anyhow TCALSS it eventually subsided in about 6
mths and hasn't recurred.

It was either a black widow or brown recluse.

Now I ride a windtrainer in the morning.

Grumpy Graham

> My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
> bit and are itchy too.

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Carol,
>
> A few years ago I was mountain biking with some friends and had a
> pretty good heart rate going. A yellow jacket stung me on the achilles,
> just above the heel, where skin is very thin. The venom was in the
> blood in no time and over the next couple days my enter leg swelled up,
> turning purple and yellow in areas. Advice from my physician is to
> carry a couple caplets of Benedryl in the event something like that
> happens again. (actually I need to get some more, my pack has reached
> exp. date)
>
> A sting where the skin is thicker or has more fat cells beneath the
> surface is less likely to have venom spread quickly. Because you were
> stung in the scalp, where skin is relatively thin, you had a reaction
> similar to mine. Were your heartrate much lower, even with panic, you
> probably wouldn't have had as severe a reaction. (this is pretty much
> how my physician explained it.)
>
> If you are not allergic to Benedryl, carry a couple and take them as
> soon as you can after getting stung.

Thanks, but I did the Benedryl thing to no affect, except putting me into a
drug-induced coma. I kid you not, I am very sensitive to medication. If I
took a Benedryl on a ride, I probably wouldn't make it home;> I am happy to
hear that my reaction might have been due to a combo of where I was stung
and my HR.

Cat

Cat Dailey wrote:

> Anyone have any advice?

I had multiple stings or whatever from a bee or bee-like insect riding
RT 41 in the Everglades in FL. In my case they or it hit my calf. Like
you I had swelling then the droopy and a lot of itching. I'd say my
bitten calf got to almost twice the diameter it usually is.

After a while, things went back to normal for me. What I didn't have was
the systemic symptoms you had like elevated HR. In my case, since
discomfort was the only symptom, I just shrugged it off as a FL
adventure. I think it wise to carry a few benedryls with you, though.

I once had a whole swarm of little wasps fly up and into my motorcycle
helmet (full face!) and sting me until I could get the bike stopped &
off the road & the *#&*#& helmet off. Curiously, I had no symptoms of
that one.

I can't see the harm in carrying a few benedryls and they may help you
or a fellow rider.

-paul

> [...]

> > > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me

from
> > now
> > > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

> > never
> > > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic.

> Did
> > > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question

was
> > what
> > > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any advice?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >\

> Uhh, I did not go into anaphylactic shock and could breathe okay. I was
> hoping someone who had a bee allergy could give me some advice. I

wouldn't
> waste a hospitals time for a non-emergency...

As you're not certain what and/or how many stung or bit you, be aware that
insect bites can lead to systemic infection requiring IV antibiotics.
Seeing a doctor is your CHOICE. You're not "wasting" a hospital's time even
if they determine it isn't a major emergency. BTW, assuming a sting, an ER
Doc can do more for you with antihistamines than you can chugging Benadryl.
Given your reaction, they would not have determined your case to be a
non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.

Have you checked to see if you can climb buildings and shoot webs from
your wrists? Could be handy when trying to close those gaps in club
rides...

Graham Sharman wrote:

> [...]

> wouldn't
> > waste a hospitals time for a non-emergency...
> >
> > Cat
> >

> As you're not certain what and/or how many stung or bit you, be aware that
> insect bites can lead to systemic infection requiring IV antibiotics.
> Seeing a doctor is your CHOICE. You're not "wasting" a hospital's time

even
> if they determine it isn't a major emergency. BTW, assuming a sting, an

ER
> Doc can do more for you with antihistamines than you can chugging

Benadryl.
> Given your reaction, they would not have determined your case to be a
> non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
> would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
> tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.

No, actually, that was precisely the type of advice I was looking for. You
see, I have never been allergic to anything in my whole life and really am
not sure what the proper course of action is. Tomorrow morning when my doc
is open, I will see him. I honestly didn't think there was much they would
do for me at the hospital if I was not in "respiratory distress."
Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could
call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a weekend
unless it's really an emergency.

Cat

> [...]

> > non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
> > would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
> > tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.
> >

> No, actually, that was precisely the type of advice I was looking for.

You
> see, I have never been allergic to anything in my whole life and really am
> not sure what the proper course of action is. Tomorrow morning when my

doc
> is open, I will see him. I honestly didn't think there was much they

would
> do for me at the hospital if I was not in "respiratory distress."
> Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could
> call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a

I would suggest a visit to the local ER. Safe is safe.

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The "fatal bee sting reaction" thing is way overrated:
> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/AA/AA15900.pdf
>
> I also suffer from local reaction to stings. Systemic reactions
> are more worrysome:
> http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2076.html
>
> I try to remember to bring along some Clariton, but never
> seem to remember it when I get stung (around once per year).
>
> Dan

Cool! That's what I was looking for. Looks like I had a "Large Local
Reaction," but I definitely did not have anaphylaxis. It would appear that
I don't have too much to worry about ;>

Cat

> [...]

> > non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
> > would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
> > tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.
> >

> No, actually, that was precisely the type of advice I was looking for.

You
> see, I have never been allergic to anything in my whole life and really am
> not sure what the proper course of action is. Tomorrow morning when my

doc
> is open, I will see him. I honestly didn't think there was much they

would
> do for me at the hospital if I was not in "respiratory distress."
> Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could
> call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a

I forgot.....Good Luck!!!

On 08 Aug 2004 16:47:58 EDT, Richard Adams wrote:
> my enter leg swelled up, turning purple and yellow in areas.

"Enter leg", I hadn't heared that one before.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:12:05 -0400, "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
>on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
>had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
>get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
>we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
>
>Anyone have any advice?

Often times it takes two exposures for your body to have a severe reaction
to things like bee stings. If your face swelled up well beyond a small
whelt near the sting, that's no normal. See your PCP, and have him give you
a consult to an allergist if you're worried. (I've been stung numerous
times and application of cortaid OTC cream fixes it up.)

-B

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could

call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a weekend
unless it's really an emergency.
Cat<

Hope ignoring such symptoms doesn't cause a funeral home to work on a
weekend. What you describe are potentially life threatening symptoms
depending on your specific physiological makeup. Be safe, not sorry.

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:

> Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just too
> gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one of
> God's days.)
>
> Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
> sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
> was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
> hurt A LOT :<
>
> I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
> forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome, so
> I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours, the
> whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala Jonathan
> Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
> which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
> migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
>
> My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
> bit and are itchy too.
>
> By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group (thank
> god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
> was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
> flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
>
> Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
> on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
> had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
> get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
> we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
>
> Anyone have any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carol Dailey

Quit wearing helmets?

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

> "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just

too
> > gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one

of
> > God's days.)
> >
> > Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
> > sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said

it
> > was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
> > hurt A LOT :<
> >
> > I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on

my
> > forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the

velodrome, so
> > I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours,

the
> > whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala

Jonathan
> > Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the

evening,
> > which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
> > migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
> >
> > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled

> > bit and are itchy too.
> >
> > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group

(thank
> > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my

HR
> > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
> > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
> >
> > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from

now
> > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

never
> > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic.

Did I
> > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was

what
> > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
> >
> > Anyone have any advice?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Carol Dailey
> >

> Quit wearing helmets?

Now, that's funny ;> I do like my helmet, though. I couldn't wear one
today, because I couldn't get it over the swelling. I wore a cap because it
was a little chilly this morning. Quite frankly, it didn't feel any
different to not have on a helmet, so I think I'll just keep wearing it. I
have done enough face plants, both cycling and speedskating, that I like the
security blanket I guess.

Cat

[email protected] wrote:

> Quit wearing helmets?

A couple months back, I INHALED a yellow jacket which proceeded to sting
the inside of my throat and then my lip when I coughed him up and spit
him out. I rode straight to an ER, where they made a very large deal
out of it.

To continue your line of reasoning I should .... ?

--

Remove CLOTHES to reply