Bee sting/bite q's-Long

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cat Dailey, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just too
    gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one of
    God's days.)

    Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
    sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
    was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
    hurt A LOT :<

    I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
    forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome, so
    I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours, the
    whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala Jonathan
    Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
    which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
    migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.

    My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
    bit and are itchy too.

    By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group (thank
    god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
    was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
    flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).

    Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
    on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
    had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
    get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
    we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.

    Anyone have any advice?

    Thanks,

    Carol Dailey

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I hope you're at the hospital having yourself checked. What the hell are
    you doing typing here for medical advice in your situation??!!

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just

    too
    > gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one

    of
    > God's days.)
    >
    > Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
    > sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
    > was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
    > hurt A LOT :<
    >
    > I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
    > forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome,

    so
    > I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours,

    the
    > whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala

    Jonathan
    > Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
    > which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
    > migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
    >
    > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
    > bit and are itchy too.
    >
    > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group

    (thank
    > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
    > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
    > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
    >
    > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from

    now
    > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

    never
    > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did

    > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was

    what
    > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    >
    > Anyone have any advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carol Dailey

  3. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    > I hope you're at the hospital having yourself checked. What the hell are
    > you doing typing here for medical advice in your situation??!!
    >

    > "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just

    > too
    > > gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one

    > of
    > > God's days.)
    > >
    > > Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
    > > sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said

    it
    > > was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
    > > hurt A LOT :<
    > >
    > > I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on

    my
    > > forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the

    velodrome,
    > so
    > > I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours,

    > the
    > > whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala

    > Jonathan
    > > Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the

    evening,
    > > which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
    > > migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
    > >
    > > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled

    > > bit and are itchy too.
    > >
    > > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group

    > (thank
    > > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my

    HR
    > > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
    > > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
    > >
    > > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from

    > now
    > > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

    > never
    > > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic.

    Did
    > > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was

    > what
    > > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >\

    Uhh, I did not go into anaphylactic shock and could breathe okay. I was
    hoping someone who had a bee allergy could give me some advice. I wouldn't
    waste a hospitals time for a non-emergency...

    Cat

  4. Carol,

    A few years ago I was mountain biking with some friends and had a
    pretty good heart rate going. A yellow jacket stung me on the achilles,
    just above the heel, where skin is very thin. The venom was in the
    blood in no time and over the next couple days my enter leg swelled up,
    turning purple and yellow in areas. Advice from my physician is to
    carry a couple caplets of Benedryl in the event something like that
    happens again. (actually I need to get some more, my pack has reached
    exp. date)

    A sting where the skin is thicker or has more fat cells beneath the
    surface is less likely to have venom spread quickly. Because you were
    stung in the scalp, where skin is relatively thin, you had a reaction
    similar to mine. Were your heartrate much lower, even with panic, you
    probably wouldn't have had as severe a reaction. (this is pretty much
    how my physician explained it.)

    If you are not allergic to Benedryl, carry a couple and take them as
    soon as you can after getting stung.

    Cat Dailey wrote:

    > Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just too
    > gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one of
    > God's days.)
    >
    > Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
    > sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
    > was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
    > hurt A LOT :<
    >
    > I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
    > forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome, so
    > I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours, the
    > whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala Jonathan
    > Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
    > which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
    > migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
    >
    > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
    > bit and are itchy too.
    >
    > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group (thank
    > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
    > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
    > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
    >
    > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
    > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
    > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
    > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
    > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    >
    > Anyone have any advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carol Dailey

  5. About 4 years ago I got stung by spider on an early morning Monday ride in
    Fl.

    I took no notice but about 10 AM the bite had turned bright red and had
    nasty looking spidery veins coming out of it.

    My wife an RN, advised me to go to a doc, but real men don't see docs unless
    they have unstoppable bleeding somewhere.

    I took Benes and in a couple of days it subsided.

    However on the next early AM club ride my legs felt itchy in shadows. There
    was no rash or bites and once I warmed up it went away. That day I was in a
    supermarket and passing the
    freezer section and the same phenomenon occurred. This scared me but still
    not enough to go to a doc. Anyhow TCALSS it eventually subsided in about 6
    mths and hasn't recurred.

    It was either a black widow or brown recluse.

    Now I ride a windtrainer in the morning.

    Grumpy Graham

    > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
    > bit and are itchy too.

  6. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Carol,
    >
    > A few years ago I was mountain biking with some friends and had a
    > pretty good heart rate going. A yellow jacket stung me on the achilles,
    > just above the heel, where skin is very thin. The venom was in the
    > blood in no time and over the next couple days my enter leg swelled up,
    > turning purple and yellow in areas. Advice from my physician is to
    > carry a couple caplets of Benedryl in the event something like that
    > happens again. (actually I need to get some more, my pack has reached
    > exp. date)
    >
    > A sting where the skin is thicker or has more fat cells beneath the
    > surface is less likely to have venom spread quickly. Because you were
    > stung in the scalp, where skin is relatively thin, you had a reaction
    > similar to mine. Were your heartrate much lower, even with panic, you
    > probably wouldn't have had as severe a reaction. (this is pretty much
    > how my physician explained it.)
    >
    > If you are not allergic to Benedryl, carry a couple and take them as
    > soon as you can after getting stung.

    Thanks, but I did the Benedryl thing to no affect, except putting me into a
    drug-induced coma. I kid you not, I am very sensitive to medication. If I
    took a Benedryl on a ride, I probably wouldn't make it home;> I am happy to
    hear that my reaction might have been due to a combo of where I was stung
    and my HR.

    Cat

  7. Paul Cassel

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Cat Dailey wrote:

    > Anyone have any advice?

    I had multiple stings or whatever from a bee or bee-like insect riding
    RT 41 in the Everglades in FL. In my case they or it hit my calf. Like
    you I had swelling then the droopy and a lot of itching. I'd say my
    bitten calf got to almost twice the diameter it usually is.

    After a while, things went back to normal for me. What I didn't have was
    the systemic symptoms you had like elevated HR. In my case, since
    discomfort was the only symptom, I just shrugged it off as a FL
    adventure. I think it wise to carry a few benedryls with you, though.

    I once had a whole swarm of little wasps fly up and into my motorcycle
    helmet (full face!) and sting me until I could get the bike stopped &
    off the road & the *#&*#& helmet off. Curiously, I had no symptoms of
    that one.

    I can't see the harm in carrying a few benedryls and they may help you
    or a fellow rider.

    -paul

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

> [...]

    > > > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me

    from
    > > now
    > > > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

    > > never
    > > > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic.

    > Did
    > > > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question

    was
    > > what
    > > > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone have any advice?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >\

    > Uhh, I did not go into anaphylactic shock and could breathe okay. I was
    > hoping someone who had a bee allergy could give me some advice. I

    wouldn't
    > waste a hospitals time for a non-emergency...

    As you're not certain what and/or how many stung or bit you, be aware that
    insect bites can lead to systemic infection requiring IV antibiotics.
    Seeing a doctor is your CHOICE. You're not "wasting" a hospital's time even
    if they determine it isn't a major emergency. BTW, assuming a sting, an ER
    Doc can do more for you with antihistamines than you can chugging Benadryl.
    Given your reaction, they would not have determined your case to be a
    non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
    would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
    tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.

  9. Have you checked to see if you can climb buildings and shoot webs from
    your wrists? Could be handy when trying to close those gaps in club
    rides...

    Graham Sharman wrote:

    > About 4 years ago I got stung by spider on an early morning Monday ride in
    > Fl.
    >
    > I took no notice but about 10 AM the bite had turned bright red and had
    > nasty looking spidery veins coming out of it.
    >
    > My wife an RN, advised me to go to a doc, but real men don't see docs unless
    > they have unstoppable bleeding somewhere.
    >
    > I took Benes and in a couple of days it subsided.
    >
    > However on the next early AM club ride my legs felt itchy in shadows. There
    > was no rash or bites and once I warmed up it went away. That day I was in a
    > supermarket and passing the
    > freezer section and the same phenomenon occurred. This scared me but still
    > not enough to go to a doc. Anyhow TCALSS it eventually subsided in about 6
    > mths and hasn't recurred.
    >
    > It was either a black widow or brown recluse.
    >
    > Now I ride a windtrainer in the morning.
    >

    > Grumpy Graham
    >
    >>My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
    >>bit and are itchy too.

  10. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

  11. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    > "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > I hope you're at the hospital having yourself checked. What the hell

    > are
    > > > you doing typing here for medical advice in your situation??!!
    > > >

    > > > "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > just
    > > > too

    > one
    > > > of

    said
    > > it

    is,
    > it

    on
    > > my

    > > velodrome,
    > > > so

    > hours,
    > > > the
    > > > Jonathan

    > > evening,

    had

    > swelled

    > > > (thank

    my
    > > HR

    > kept

    > from
    > > > now

    and
    > > > never

    allergic.
    > > Did

    > was
    > > > what

    > > Uhh, I did not go into anaphylactic shock and could breathe okay. I was
    > > hoping someone who had a bee allergy could give me some advice. I

    > wouldn't
    > > waste a hospitals time for a non-emergency...
    > >
    > > Cat
    > >

    > As you're not certain what and/or how many stung or bit you, be aware that
    > insect bites can lead to systemic infection requiring IV antibiotics.
    > Seeing a doctor is your CHOICE. You're not "wasting" a hospital's time

    even
    > if they determine it isn't a major emergency. BTW, assuming a sting, an

    ER
    > Doc can do more for you with antihistamines than you can chugging

    Benadryl.
    > Given your reaction, they would not have determined your case to be a
    > non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
    > would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
    > tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.

    No, actually, that was precisely the type of advice I was looking for. You
    see, I have never been allergic to anything in my whole life and really am
    not sure what the proper course of action is. Tomorrow morning when my doc
    is open, I will see him. I honestly didn't think there was much they would
    do for me at the hospital if I was not in "respiratory distress."
    Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could
    call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a weekend
    unless it's really an emergency.

    Cat

  12. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

> [...]

    > > non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
    > > would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
    > > tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.
    > >

    > No, actually, that was precisely the type of advice I was looking for.

    You
    > see, I have never been allergic to anything in my whole life and really am
    > not sure what the proper course of action is. Tomorrow morning when my

    doc
    > is open, I will see him. I honestly didn't think there was much they

    would
    > do for me at the hospital if I was not in "respiratory distress."
    > Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could
    > call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a

    I would suggest a visit to the local ER. Safe is safe.

  13. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The "fatal bee sting reaction" thing is way overrated:
    > http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/AA/AA15900.pdf
    >
    > I also suffer from local reaction to stings. Systemic reactions
    > are more worrysome:
    > http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2076.html
    >
    > I try to remember to bring along some Clariton, but never
    > seem to remember it when I get stung (around once per year).
    >
    > Dan

    Cool! That's what I was looking for. Looks like I had a "Large Local
    Reaction," but I definitely did not have anaphylaxis. It would appear that
    I don't have too much to worry about ;>

    Cat

  14. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

> [...]

    > > non-emergency. You might have been triaged below a heart attack but you
    > > would have been seen quickly. The continuing reaction, elevated HR and
    > > tightness of breathing should be checked. But, you'll do whatever.
    > >

    > No, actually, that was precisely the type of advice I was looking for.

    You
    > see, I have never been allergic to anything in my whole life and really am
    > not sure what the proper course of action is. Tomorrow morning when my

    doc
    > is open, I will see him. I honestly didn't think there was much they

    would
    > do for me at the hospital if I was not in "respiratory distress."
    > Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could
    > call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a

    I forgot.....Good Luck!!!

  15. On 08 Aug 2004 16:47:58 EDT, Richard Adams wrote:
    > my enter leg swelled up, turning purple and yellow in areas.

    "Enter leg", I hadn't heared that one before.

  16. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:12:05 -0400, "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
    >on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
    >had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
    >get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
    >we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    >
    >Anyone have any advice?

    Often times it takes two exposures for your body to have a severe reaction
    to things like bee stings. If your face swelled up well beyond a small
    whelt near the sting, that's no normal. See your PCP, and have him give you
    a consult to an allergist if you're worried. (I've been stung numerous
    times and application of cortaid OTC cream fixes it up.)

    -B

  17. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >Unfortunately, my doctor does not have evening or weekend hours. I could

    call his service, but I am a little loathe to make anyone work on a weekend
    unless it's really an emergency.
    Cat<

    Hope ignoring such symptoms doesn't cause a funeral home to work on a
    weekend. What you describe are potentially life threatening symptoms
    depending on your specific physiological makeup. Be safe, not sorry.

  18. "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just too
    > gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one of
    > God's days.)
    >
    > Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
    > sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said it
    > was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
    > hurt A LOT :<
    >
    > I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on my
    > forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the velodrome, so
    > I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours, the
    > whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala Jonathan
    > Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the evening,
    > which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
    > migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
    >
    > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled a
    > bit and are itchy too.
    >
    > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group (thank
    > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my HR
    > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
    > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
    >
    > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from now
    > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and never
    > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic. Did I
    > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was what
    > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    >
    > Anyone have any advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carol Dailey

    Quit wearing helmets?

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  19. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rs.com...
    > "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Friday I played hooky and decided to do another 100 miler. It was just

    too
    > > gorgeous a day here near Philly not to (75 sunny, breezy...you know, one

    of
    > > God's days.)
    > >
    > > Anyway, 91 miles into it, a bee gets up under my helmet and proceeds to
    > > sting me 3 or 4 times at least (one of the guys I rode with today said

    it
    > > was a "bite" not a sting, because it was a multiple). All I know is, it
    > > hurt A LOT :<
    > >
    > > I finished the 100 and got home to a pretty good swelling localized on

    my
    > > forehead where the bee got me. My hub had to officiate at the

    velodrome, so
    > > I decided to go with him and watch the racing. Over the next 4-5 hours,

    the
    > > whole right side of my face swelled up until my eye was closed, ala

    Jonathan
    > > Vaughters. I iced all night and took several benadryl during the

    evening,
    > > which only served to knock me on my a**. By the next morning, it had
    > > migrated across my face and halfway closed my left eye as well.
    > >
    > > My entire head has been itching like crazy and my hands/fingers swelled

    > > bit and are itchy too.
    > >
    > > By this morning, both my eyes were open enough to ride with my group

    (thank
    > > god they were only doing a 17-18 mph pace ride), but I noticed that my

    HR
    > > was elevated and my chest felt tight (not to mention my droopy face kept
    > > flopping up and down like Richard Nixon's).
    > >
    > > Am I allergic to bees now and do I need to carry an epi pen with me from

    now
    > > on, or is this a one time weirdo thing? I have been stung before and

    never
    > > had a reaction like this one, but my one sister is terribly allergic.

    Did I
    > > get stung or bitten? I am pretty sure that the critter in question was

    what
    > > we call a "yellow jacket" here in PA.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Carol Dailey
    > >

    > Quit wearing helmets?

    Now, that's funny ;> I do like my helmet, though. I couldn't wear one
    today, because I couldn't get it over the swelling. I wore a cap because it
    was a little chilly this morning. Quite frankly, it didn't feel any
    different to not have on a helmet, so I think I'll just keep wearing it. I
    have done enough face plants, both cycling and speedskating, that I like the
    security blanket I guess.

    Cat

  20. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Quit wearing helmets?

    A couple months back, I INHALED a yellow jacket which proceeded to sting
    the inside of my throat and then my lip when I coughed him up and spit
    him out. I rode straight to an ER, where they made a very large deal
    out of it.

    To continue your line of reasoning I should .... ?

    --

    Remove CLOTHES to reply