Bee Sting on My Tongue

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by MrCjolsen, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MrCjolsen

MrCjolsen New Member

No, it's not the name of the band playing at the club down the street, it's what happened to me on my ride today!

Fortunately, I was able to find a car mirror and get the stinger out fairly soon, and I was only speech impaired for a short while until I got some ibuprophen in me. Didn't even cut my ride short.

But ouch!

Has this happened to anyone before? Ideas for preventing similar insect injestion events? I also think I swallowed some other bug today, but I washed it down quickly with some water.

Tags:

2. izzythedan

izzythedan New Member

I've eaten a few bugs in my time, but never a bee or wasp. Ouch!
    I had a fly go up my nose once. Not very nice.

3. steve007

steve007 New Member

Yeah its real nasty, although I think the bee makes the ultimate sacrifice in the end - death.

And I'm always swallowing nasty bug things - some get lodged in my throat and i end up coughing it up further down the road - must sound real healthy...ha ha

4. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I was kind of wondering what happens when an insect gets sucked down your throat into your lungs. I had this happen a few days ago, I think. I say I think because I wasn't sure if it went into my stomach or my lungs. I was hacking for a while because I know it had at least touched the opening into my lungs. Where it went after that, I don't know. I wonder if you don't cough it up what happens to it. I wonder if the body fluids somehow dissolve it or if it just stays there.

Hmmm.

5. xxguitarist

xxguitarist New Member

yeahhhh mountain biking i've gotten something fuzzy and sour in my mouth...some sort of bug... deffinetly dont want that ot ever happen again. road biking, usually bugs just hit me in the forehead, glasses, or wind up somewhere inside my helmet, which occasionally makes me stop.. guess that's the one bad thing about having a lot of vents ;)

6. Brad1711

Brad1711 New Member

Once when my brother was little a bee landed on his popsicle and stung his tongue when he put it in his mouth (he obviously didn't see the bee), but that doesn't have anything to do with cycling....