Beech Mtn, NC

shane_riddell

Aug 30, 2009
I am back into riding after about 15 years, only 2 weeks into it now. I live about 50 miles from Beech Mtn NC. When i was in shape I had rode up Beech on numerous occasions. Have any of you also rode this climb, and how difficult did you think it was? For me Beech and climbing to the top or Roan Mtn on the TN/NC border are the 2 toughest climbs in this part of the country. I have never rode in Europe or other parts of the U.S. so I have nothing else to compare.

I was at a Ski Area Association meeting last week at Sugar Mtn. and wanted to ride Beech or Grandfather but it was crappy weather so I didn't even take the bike and it would have been a waste of time due to the weather.
It is a good climb but I know of one more difficult on this side of the Smokies. English Mountain has some 22% grades and is a killer.It is part of the English Mtn Challenge ride held in May.
One one my favorites is still Newfound Gap ,long but not brutally steep but still a good category 1 climb.

funny you should should ask. on one ride up beech mountain, Wb, Lance, Hincapie, LeMond and i got together for a sunday stroll up beech. Myself, being the ever so exciteable front force of any group of riders, decides to push the pace a bit, getting up and out of the saddle only to have a trail of pro's give chase. It was all fun and games until Lance made his move and that is the usual move he makes whenever someone challeneges his authority which was bye bye. So i gave chase and back and forth we went dropping Hincapie and LeMond in the following few minutes.

i look back and and see Wb right there, all grins as if to say 'uh uh, you ain't going anywhere!"

The hell i wasn't. I really go this time and split off in front of Lance and WB and this time, no response from either. For six hours we climbed, me by myself and Lance and the others battling it out for second place on what was turning out to be an all out war which, btw, i was winning.

We get to the top and we check our times. Me 6: 34:17, faster than Lance by over four minutes and the rest of the ladies by 7. It was a grand day that day as i really got to show my stuff.

Lance asked me if i'd like to ride for Team Postal to which i replied 'No, the timing just isn't right as my dog Pumpkin needs me and besides, i wouldn't want to take from your spotlight."

then i woke up. :D

shane_riddell said:
I am back into riding after about 15 years, only 2 weeks into it now. I live about 50 miles from Beech Mtn NC. When i was in shape I had rode up Beech on numerous occasions. Have any of you also rode this climb, and how difficult did you think it was? For me Beech and climbing to the top or Roan Mtn on the TN/NC border are the 2 toughest climbs in this part of the country. I have never rode in Europe or other parts of the U.S. so I have nothing else to compare.
Have you ever been to Mt Mitchell off of the Blue Ridge Parkway? Getting there is all the fun, and the last four miles are a killer. I don't know what percent the grades are but it is four miles of sheer leg numbing hell. And a lot of people do it in the annual Assault on Mount Mitchell, the next one being on Monday, May 17th, 2010. This is a 102 mile ride that begins in Spartanburg, South Carolina and ends on top of Mount Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi. The total climbing gain is 11,237 ft, total descent loss is 5388 ft for a net gain of 5849 ft. The terrain is mostly rural rolling hills until you reach Marion, NC and then you clinb nearly 8000 ft in the next 30 miles. But the last four miles is >ouch<. Now it does not come near some of the climbs out west or in Europe, but it is pretty local for you.

I absolutely love riding the mountains in NC! The great thing about doing a ride like that early in the season is that now matter what kinda hills you ride later that year, nothing seems that bad anymore. It makes anything feel do-able.